Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I dunno, but they translated that it worked perfectly in the GenCoupe.

This brings up a question I have. I could of sworn I read somewhere in the posts or in Hyundai info that the LSD in the GenCoupe is a 2 way (activates on decel, as well as, accel), but have been unable to find this now & have been searching to the point that I think I may have imagined it. If anybody knows for certain of has a lead on whether this is a 1 way, 1 & 1/2, or 2 way, please let me know, so I don't go crazy...LoL

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't think it is 2 way. Tufast, this may be what you read --

deleted link

Sorry for linking to another forum, I know some ppl frown on that, but thanks to Tufast this has been an obsession for me to find this info since right before I left work... lol.

I can't really find any "official" info on what type it is.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read that whole thread before I linked it here... lol. This thread is the whole reason you are even asking for this info. Sorry. :rolleye:

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I dunno, but they translated that it worked perfectly in the GenCoupe.

This brings up a question I have. I could of sworn I read somewhere in the posts or in Hyundai info that the LSD in the GenCoupe is a 2 way (activates on decel, as well as, accel), but have been unable to find this now & have been searching to the point that I think I may have imagined it. If anybody knows for certain of has a lead on whether this is a 1 way, 1 & 1/2, or 2 way, please let me know, so I don't go crazy...LoL
This is just circumstantial evidence, but from the pictures in the product brochure it looks like the unit is a helical type LSD and Hyundai itself states it is a Torsen unit. If true this means it is not a 1, 1.5, 2 way since the Torsen LSDs are Torque Biasing, which means it can vary the amount of torque it is sending to the drive wheels. These types of units are typically found in cars that make use of traction control (ESC). It does not ever fully "lock" like Clutch type LSDs do and thus the 1, 1.5, 2 way does not typically apply to these types of LSDs.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah, everything I googled about it wouldn't associate it with 1, 1.5, or 2 way, only saying it was Torque biased.

But from the little bit of reading I did, it seems that 2 way LSDs are high maintenance and can be rather noisy...

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Yeah, everything I googled about it wouldn't associate it with 1, 1.5, or 2 way, only saying it was Torque biased.

But from the little bit of reading I did, it seems that 2 way LSDs are high maintenance and can be rather noisy...
Yeah the 2-ways LSD for the general public would be dangerous as well. I've got some good info on LSDs and how they work that I will put up later.

ss

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I've learned alot about rear ends & their internal workings in the last few days. I'll admit that I haven't been into that many of them myself & haven't done as much research on them as I would of liked or probably should have done....
Thanks again,,

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think it is 2 way. Tufast, this may be what you read --

deleted link

Sorry for linking to another forum, I know some ppl frown on that, but thanks to Tufast this has been an obsession for me to find this info since right before I left work... lol.

I can't really find any "official" info on what type it is.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read that whole thread before I linked it here... lol. This thread is the whole reason you are even asking for this info. Sorry. :rolleye:
Yeah, that's the reason I was looking for info. I'm thinking now that I just must of read it earlier in the thread & it stuck in my head for some reason. That's what you get for posting B4 researching thorougly.LoL
Thanks all the same.

I did go ahead & remove the link, because I think that it's a conflict of interests linking to other forums. When I post on that forum info from this forum, I never use a link, but copy & paste. Same goes for the other way around. It's not that I don't want to share info, because I do, I just think that it's courteous to do so.

·
Registered
555 Posts
^^^^ Yeah, me too. I knew nothing about all of this until you asked... I was like "2 way what? like left and right driveshafts?" lol

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
1,125.00$ IS THE PRICE WOW. what a deal. its double what we thought. now what??
Where did you get that price? Do you actually have the part number on the KAAZ? I am still sending this stuff to Jim to try to figure something out but need to get some unit specs. Also, does anyone know the spline count?

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Where did you get that price? Do you actually have the part number on the KAAZ? I am still sending this stuff to Jim to try to figure something out but need to get some unit specs. Also, does anyone know the spline count?
I've seen Kaaz units for other cars go for around $1,000 so I don't think it is too far off.. probably will cost more since it may be a new unit.. I guess we could always ask Kaaz and see if they will give us specs?? On that note I sent an email to Torsen to see if they could give us specs on the OEM unit in the Track Package. They sent a request off to the manufacturing plant in Asia and will get back with me...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm not too surprised at the oprice. When I put a Nismo LSD in my old 240 I paid like, $850, and that was the cheapest one on the market. I think a KAAZ was right around $1k, and the Cusco unit was about $1300.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.