Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JR from AEM posted this on the other forum after testing the GenCoupe 2.0t they got in.

"Your guns are pretty dang accurate. We ran our 2.0T today and it makes about 12 PSI from about 2500 RPM up to 5000 RPM then quickly decreases to ~8-9 PSI by 6500 RPM.

It hits max boost very quickly and can even overshoot up to 14-15 psi.

We were dynoing different intake setups and picked up 10+ HP. We run a Mustang 1100 eddy current dyno and saw peak power levels around 175WHP where stock was in the low 160's."

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Thanks, guess I am still in muscle car mode. To me an intake always improved the torque or where the horsepower came in the RPM range. Too old to understand the gains on turbo cars. To me if you aren't getting 30hp why bother. I will sit back and learn.

· Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10hp from just an intake is worth the hassle
+1 & we're talking about CAI, not the actual intake manifold from my understanding.

Thanks, guess I am still in muscle car mode. To me an intake always improved the torque or where the horsepower came in the RPM range. Too old to understand the gains on turbo cars. To me if you aren't getting 30hp why bother. I will sit back and learn.
Where that little 10whp comes into play is when it is combined w/exaust, tune, etc, then it multiplies.:jump:

· Registered
162 Posts
What you're thinking of is really an intake which, in old muscle car days, was under the air filter above teh motor and was made of aluminum that also had the runners that go to the heads. The guys now tend to simplify the term Cold Air Intake as simply an "Intake". It's basically a better housing for your air filter which is why it doesn't really add a lot of hp but it is a very simple mod to do which makes it popular.

· Registered
487 Posts
The only real power gains is going to be swapping the turbo... the stock head unit is WAY to small

· Registered
390 Posts
The only real power gains is going to be swapping the turbo... the stock head unit is WAY to small
the stock unit being small is why the car has no turbo lag. 275-300hp with stock turbo. you can bet on that.

fmic + turbo back exhaust with a high flow cat could yield anywhere from 20-40hp, nobody knows yet.

boost controller and retune to kick boost up where it needs to be and you're probably seeing that 275-300hp range.

· Registered
155 Posts
cool info.....its like the 2nd gen eclipse. they made around the same hp on a mustange dyno with around the same psi.

so these things boost 12psi
the ralli-art lancer boost 16psi
and the evo 10 boost 22psi

well a 30r will be nice :shifting:

· Registered
77 Posts
There is no way that the stock turbo(unmodified) is going to be able to support 300hp.. That turbo will not be efficient past 20psi and thats being generous..

The reason why it has no lag is because it has a small compressor wheel along with a ridiculously small turbine housing, thats also the same reason that its not going to make very much power.. You can tell by the first post its being overrun in the upper rpm's where the intake pressure is dropping (when a turbo is too small for a setup thats what it does).. That means the motor has more VE than the turbo can support..

· Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
10whp from just an intake is pretty damn good! Looks like it won't be too hard to pull a few more hp out of this in relatively stock form.
+1....a few more....like I've said I/E & tune will be satisfactory for most.

10hp on a mustang dyno is actually more on a real dyno.
+1...although I think of the Mustang dyno as the real dyno

What you're thinking of is really an intake which, in old muscle car days, was under the air filter above teh motor and was made of aluminum that also had the runners that go to the heads. The guys now tend to simplify the term Cold Air Intake as simply an "Intake". It's basically a better housing for your air filter which is why it doesn't really add a lot of hp but it is a very simple mod to do which makes it popular.
+1...I thought the same thing 1st time I heard them refer to intake. Then I learned when they are speaking of the actually intake these days, they refer to it as intake manifold.

I want to see the increases they get from an exhaust setup.. I think the real power gains will be there..
+1......CAI - 10whp, exaust 20whp, both 35-40whp, turn up turbo & add tune 60-70whp, maybe more.

+1.....bigger turbo with necessary mods will make biggest difference.

Like I said, I need to sit back and learn. Yes, I was thinking intake manifold, not glorified air filter extender. So yes, 10hp from a filter and tube change would surely be worth it.
Don't sit back, your input is too important, but I'm still learning constantly & alot from you.

the stock unit being small is why the car has no turbo lag. 275-300hp with stock turbo. you can bet on that.

fmic + turbo back exhaust with a high flow cat could yield anywhere from 20-40hp, nobody knows yet.

boost controller and retune to kick boost up where it needs to be and you're probably seeing that 275-300hp range.
Since the beginning, w/the little knowledge I have of turbos, I have not felt this turbo will make 300whp, 275whp will be the most & I think that is pushing it. But, I will do every quality mod known to man to get every bit of power out of that turbo to see what can be gotten out of it B4 upgrading. That way, I'll already have most of my mods completed B4 installing my turbo.

cool info.....its like the 2nd gen eclipse. they made around the same hp on a mustange dyno with around the same psi.

so these things boost 12psi
the ralli-art lancer boost 16psi
and the evo 10 boost 22psi

well a 30r will be nice :shifting:
There is no way that the stock turbo(unmodified) is going to be able to support 300hp.. That turbo will not be efficient past 20psi and thats being generous..

The reason why it has no lag is because it has a small compressor wheel along with a ridiculously small turbine housing, thats also the same reason that its not going to make very much power.. You can tell by the first post its being overrun in the upper rpm's where the intake pressure is dropping (when a turbo is too small for a setup thats what it does).. That means the motor has more VE than the turbo can support..
+1

· Registered
35 Posts
I'm not going to poke my head where I don't know too much, but aren't the VW GTI (current GTIs) turbos smaller than what comes from the GenCoupe? My brother gets 50 HP and 80 Torque with just a chip; so I'm not going to say this thing can go up to 300 HP, but I wouldn't be surprised if it saw numbers close to it with a tune, intake, exhaust and a bigger FMIC.

· Registered
77 Posts
I'm not going to poke my head where I don't know too much, but aren't the VW GTI (current GTIs) turbos smaller than what comes from the GenCoupe? My brother gets 50 HP and 80 Torque with just a chip; so I'm not going to say this thing can go up to 300 HP, but I wouldn't be surprised if it saw numbers close to it with a tune, intake, exhaust and a bigger FMIC.
I dont think the new GTI's turbo is smaller.. Also, a fmic doesnt add hp (unless the stock one is just REALLLLLLY small and inefficient, which I doubt it is), but with a cai, t/b exh, tune and 18-20psi, I still dont see this car hitting 300hp.. And when I say 300hp, Im referring to the crank.. I dont see it putting over 225hp to the wheels.. Tq on the other hand is another story..

· Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont think the new GTI's turbo is smaller.. Also, a fmic doesnt add hp (unless the stock one is just REALLLLLLY small and inefficient, which I doubt it is), but with a cai, t/b exh, tune and 18-20psi, I still dont see this car hitting 300hp.. And when I say 300hp, Im referring to the crank.. I dont see it putting over 225hp to the wheels.. Tq on the other hand is another story..
+1....on the FMIC
I also don't see this car hitting 300whp or 300chp, but since we measure most power on dynos that read after the wheels, I suspect 250-275whp will be max on this turbo w/all capable mods. That will suffice for me during the interum 'til I do the turbo swap.

· Registered
37 Posts
Yeah when i get my 2.0T i really want to get Exhaust, Intake, and AFR gauge... then figure out what i want to do with the car... I haven't really kept up with turbo'd cars lately but on my old SRT4 i used an AGP wastegate to raise the boost... is AGP or someone working on a wastegate to help out here?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.