Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I've never posted on this site, but my 2.0T has started acting a bit odd, and I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me before I take my baby to the repair shop. Here's the issue: Starting just this week, when traveling on the highway in top gear, the turbo is gone. It feels as though the base boost (in the 8psi range) is still there, but the spike in pressure that should come to life when I stomp the gas simply doesn't happen. This problem doesn't seem to affect the lower gears as often, though I have lost the pressure spike in the lower gears also. The problem is intermitent. Sometimes my baby behaves just fine, the turbo kicks on like it should, life is good. Other times the turbo decides to hibernate. I've tried disabling the ESC, and this has no effect. My car has 2,300 miles on the odometer, and the gas tank is always at least half full, so this is not a low fuel issue. I have made no mods to the car yet, so the car is stock. Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
how fast are you usually going on the highway?

·
Registered
202 Posts
thank god for warranty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To RagChaos: Anywhere from 60 to 80mph, depending on traffic.

To SilverArrow: This isn't lag. I'm familiar with turbo lag. If I stomp the gas and hold the pedal to the floor, the turbo should kick in in one, maybe two seconds. I've held the pedal to the floor for five, ten seconds and nothing but a smooth, albeit slow, acceleration.

Sidenote: On the drive home from shooting pool tonight, my 2.0T behaved perfectly. Turbo was kicking like it should. At this point, I'm ready to sprinkle holy water on my hood and scream "Evil demons, get OUT!"

·
Registered
487 Posts
Other than temp variations and such You never really get that kick in the pants boost spike on this car so I am not sure... Anything above 3500RPM the turbo is at full spool so tq application is damn near linear so your not ever gonna get that acceleration feel if your above it...

You also could be experience boost cut... Is it cold there (below 55deg) you could be flipping a parameter in the PCM for overboosting and the car is opening the WGA and the BOV to prevent spiking... (when you restart the car it "goes" away until the PCM sees it again)

have you messed with the wga arm at all? Im pretty sure what your describing is the pending overboost and the "limp mode" (it will really show itself at Part Throttle boost under high load - ie 4-6 gears in low RPM with 50-70% throttle input)

It can sit in overboost pending without popping a check engine light (mine did this regularly while testing the AGP Wastegate Actuator)

Oh... and TURBO LAG.... lolz

Silver... just so you know this TINY ASS bitch turbo that comes stock spools at near 2600rpm for full boost... Its not turbo lag. ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
seriously its a small turbo there is no lag

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hardmack, thank you so much. What you described is exactly what I've been experiencing. I've driven the car enough to know that at highway speeds and in top gear I'm not going to get the kick in the pants that I get in lower gears at lower speeds, but I'm still accustomed to there being a quick spring to life when I stomp it in 6th gear, and that wasn't happening anymore. Yes, it's turned cold here. I'm in West Virginia, so the best is yet to come. (cough) And once I turn the car off and come back to it later, it's as if nothing had ever gone wrong, so I assumed it was likely something in the computer; glad I posted to this forum. One last question then: Is there a way I can get around this quirk? And, again, thank you to everyone who has chipped in here. I think it's safe for me to put the Prozac away now. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was just a suggestion, I use to own an 85 200sx turbo(ca18et) that had a stock t2 turbo and it still had lag even though it wasn't suppose to have any lag around 2500+ rpm. He didn't really specify how long the lag lasted either, it was just an idea that I tossed out. But mentioning that the lag is around 5-10 sec then yes it is definitely not lag.

Even though it is a new car and having owned lots of turbo cars, check for boost leaks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hardmack, thank you so much. What you described is exactly what I've been experiencing. I've driven the car enough to know that at highway speeds and in top gear I'm not going to get the kick in the pants that I get in lower gears at lower speeds, but I'm still accustomed to there being a quick spring to life when I stomp it in 6th gear, and that wasn't happening anymore. Yes, it's turned cold here. I'm in West Virginia, so the best is yet to come. (cough) And once I turn the car off and come back to it later, it's as if nothing had ever gone wrong, so I assumed it was likely something in the computer; glad I posted to this forum. One last question then: Is there a way I can get around this quirk? And, again, thank you to everyone who has chipped in here. I think it's safe for me to put the Prozac away now. :)
You can try the wastegate actuator arm adjustment on one of the other threads - or you can buy the Dynojet CMD or something similar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.