Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I am really starting to like the GREEN. This vid does it no justice, but in person the contrast with the wheels and interior is striking. Hmmmm, here I go again....decisions.
I agree. At first I hated it and couldn't believe that Hyundai even offered it as a color choice :gay:....but now its starting to grow on me. Its definately different.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
I am really starting to like the GREEN. This vid does it no justice, but in person the contrast with the wheels and interior is striking. Hmmmm, here I go again....decisions.
I have a feeling I'm rubbing off on you....so indecisive.....I couldn't pick engine size, then couldn't pick wheels, always have been undecided on turbo upgrade.....at least I knew for sure I wanted a red GenCoupe w/the Brembos & LSD.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I have a feeling I'm rubbing off on you....so indecisive.....I couldn't pick engine size, then couldn't pick wheels, always have been undecided on turbo upgrade.....at least I knew for sure I wanted a red GenCoupe w/the Brembos & LSD.
Hahahaha, yeah, I sound like a woman....constantly changing my mind. Hmmm, Green 3.8 manny Track?

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I like how people who promote the car straight up want us to mod. the gc.
Yeah, I found that the Hyundai guys are all great guys and more importantly they are enthusiasts.. but on top of that they are putting out some great products and they are extremely proud of the Genesis Sedan and Coupe. They know with the Coupe that people will mod it, it's one of the reasons they gave the car to various aftermarket companies and it's one of the reasons they are producing the R-Spec.... Now what I'm really waiting for is for them to turn out their own line of performance products with full warranty coverage, like NISMO for Nissan or TRD for Toyota.

·
Registered
223 Posts
maybe they tell us to go mod it so we can get rid of the warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
maybe they tell us to go mod it so we can get rid of the warranty.
I don't think anyone should be under the impression that if you do a serious mod like add boost or use an upgraded turbo and then subsequently blow your motor that Hyundai should be responsible to warranty the engine... and even if you do a modification, the modification does not negate the whole warranty, only the part of the vehicle that may have been damaged because of the mod, but they have to prove it was the mod (again you threw on a huge turbo and blew the engine).

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I don't think anyone should be under the impression that if you do a serious mod like add boost or use an upgraded turbo and then subsequently blow your motor that Hyundai should be responsible to warranty the engine... and even if you do a modification, the modification does not negate the whole warranty, only the part of the vehicle that may have been damaged because of the mod, but they have to prove it was the mod (again you threw on a huge turbo and blew the engine).
or transmission, or rear end or suspension due to higher stress added with excessive speed. Basically to me if you mod, they can argue to void anything non cosmetic.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
or transmission, or rear end or suspension due to higher stress added with excessive speed. Basically to me if you mod, they can argue to void anything non cosmetic.
true on the flip side if it is a minor mod, like adding a K&N filter or something, and your rear end explodes, they can't go and say, "Oh you added a K&N so your warranty is void."

·
Registered
449 Posts
They would need to prove that there is something different between the K&N and their OEM replacement. Once they've proven it's difference, they would also need to prove that this difference was the cause for the fault.

It's a lot of work, and most of the time if you play your cards right, they won't bother. They will absolutely try to play the card on anyone who doesn't know their rights. All you need to do is prove that you know the regulations and they'll back off.

(not that it matters but....) K&N will also fight your case for you. There is a section on their site that talks about it. If you ever get denied warrenty due to the use of one of their filter products, they will as a company fight for you in court.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
They could if they recommend their filter and they give the replacements to you for free. Then if you use your own, it could void the engine.
I dunno about this.. the dealership can not force you to buy or even take anything from them, even if it is free... there is also a law that is forcing all manufactures to use a universal communication protocol (j2534) for ECU/tcm flashing so that 3rd party repair shops with the proper equipment can do the flash without the consumer going to the dealerships... it's all about choice...

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
There was a lawsuit a while back on the Ferrarri F50 I believe, where you had to have Ferrari change the tranny fluid, if they did not do it, they voided you. Owners sued because at Ferrari I think it cost 4-5k to do it. Anyway, those guys have the money, but I am sure some lawyer owned one and they sued. I think as long as Ferrari offered the change for free, they were allowed to void if you did not get it done by them.

This was a long time ago so apologies if this story is way off.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
There was a lawsuit a while back on the Ferrarri F50 I believe, where you had to have Ferrari change the tranny fluid, if they did not do it, they voided you. Owners sued because at Ferrari I think it cost 4-5k to do it. Anyway, those guys have the money, but I am sure some lawyer owned one and they sued. I think as long as Ferrari offered the change for free, they were allowed to void if you did not get it done by them.

This was a long time ago so apologies if this story is way off.
There's a technical service bulletin that was sent out a few years ago from Hyundai that states: in order to stay within warranty parameters for A/T transmissions from 1996 models up, customers must use Hyundai transmission fluid or the equivalant of (Mitsibitshi fluid). It must be flushed every 30,000 mi, although not necessarily has to be done at a Hyundai dealership, just have to use Hyundai fluid & a PF5 power flush machine. Of course this was before the "lifetime" synthetic fluid that's in the Veracruz, Genesis sedans & 3.8 ZF A/T in the GenCoupe.

Regarding warranties, I decided to just copy an old post:

"We've been discussing this on another forum as well. 1st of all I'm not going to be argumentative about this, just stating the facts from the dealers view point & trying to be unbias as possible. Keep in mind that this is only one particular dealership, one particular service dept, & one particular service advisor, so it may vary as you frequent other dealerships. In the end, the people you are dealing with will make the difference.

If you have a particular part that is under warranty & the dealer can not prove that it failed as a direct result from a specific modification that you made or by lack of/improper maintainance that you had preformed elsewhere (other than the dealer), they are required by law to replace that part if it is still under warranty according to their guide lines.

If you have an internal engine part that fails due to the boost being increased & the dealer can prove this is why the part failed, then they have the right to decline that repair. So, to answer your question, yes turning the boost up to 30psi could cause the decline of a repair, esp since Hyundai, in this case, has disclosed that the engine could only take up to 29psi of boost.

Hyundai has promoted these engines as tuner friendly, but that does not mean they intend to warranty it if it is modified. I will say this though, Hyundai is pretty lax with regards to mods done on their vehicle brand compared to most other manufacturers. Minor mods such as CAI's & catback exaust hardly ever cause a decline on a repair. When they do, it is usually due to the customer installing or having installed the airflow meter/sensor in backwards after a CAI installation. Which I can't fathom since there are arrows on the part showing the direction in which the air should be flowing.

Part of the reason Hyundai has such a small turbo installed on the 4 cylinder & the boost turned down is so they can warrant this engine 10yrs/100,000 miles. They also did it so people would have a reason to choose the 6 cylinder over the turbo4. Finally, of course is fuel economy. So if you plan on turning the turbo up, don't count on Hyundai warranting the engine. Although, I'm hoping if we are still using the factory turbo, we install a better flowing I/E, have the turbo turned up, then the vehicle tuned, that this will not void our warranty.

This will be the 1st time that I've had the opportunity to deal with Hyundai's warranty regarding turbos. So, it is new territory for me. I am happy that the factory turbo itself will covered 5yrs/60k miles from my understanding, unlike most manufacturers 3/36 basic (bumper to bumper) warranty.

I've been working as a Hyundai service advisor for the same svc dept for over 10yrs & I can tell you this, I know Hyundai makes good, dependable, quality cars & parts that last a long time as of late & I trust this GenCoupe will be no different. In fact, I think it will be built even better/stronger than anything else thay the have built up to date, due to the fact they know we as consumers are going to be hard on both these engines, transmissions, suspensions, & brakes. They do not want word of mouth going around that they make weak parts after all this time, money, & energy they have spent trying to get their tainted past cleared up. In fact, if you compare the 3.8L V/6 being used in the GenCoupe to all the other variants being used in other Hyundai vehicles (Entourage, Veracruz, Azera, & even Genesis sedan) there is alot of difference. Block thickness & cooling jets on the underside of pistons, just to name a couple."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.