Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for the link. He said, "no power train changes" for the 2011 Genesis Coupe. I would say, "not good".

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's the 2nd year of the car's life. Were you expecting wholesale changes? How many new models, completely new models, come out that change drivetrain in their 2nd year?

Also, what competition is moving ahead? The Mustang is not competition for this car IMO.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Were you expecting wholesale changes?
"Wholesale" changes? No, but a little power and/or gas mileage bump would have been nice. Especially since the Sonata is going to get a 274 HP turbo. Why not use the same engine in the Genesis Coupe?

Also, what competition is moving ahead? The Mustang is not competition for this car IMO.
IMO, the Mustang IS competition for the Genesis Coupe (rear wheel drive sport coupe?). They didn't just upgrade one of their power trains, they upgraded BOTH of them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
"Wholesale" changes? No, but a little power and/or gas mileage bump would have been nice. Especially since the Sonata is going to get a 274 HP turbo. Why not use the same engine in the Genesis Coupe?
I disagree. They barely came out with the GC and they haven't even sold that many. Most people out there can't even associate Hyundai with a sports car in their head, let alone start buying them in droves. I think any R&D spent to change the drivetrain at all on a one year old "revolutionary" (for Hyundai) would be a waste because it would have no effect on sales of the model, and would do nothing more than upset the current owners.

IMO, the Mustang IS competition for the Genesis Coupe (rear wheel drive sport coupe?). They didn't just upgrade one of their power trains, they upgraded BOTH of them.
It's not, and pretty much any review out there will say as much. It's a RWD coupe. The only cars you could really fairly compare it to are the G37 coupe, and the 370Z. The Mustang is a retro muscle car that's been around for years. Almost all of the V6's they sell will be to rental companies, or people who don't want the V8 GT. I'd be willing to bet I could count the number of people who consider the Mustang and GC at the same time on two hands. The Mustang is not really a coupe in the sense of the G37/350Z/370Z. It has a full size backseat and is a larger and heavier car. The GC was never marketed at potential Mustang owners. Let's use your mustang example. When the new body style Mustang came out back in 2005, how many power and/or mileage changes did they make between 2005 and 2010? Did they make ANY CHANGES at all in 2006?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like how the new 2.0T has more power then the 2.0T gen coupe thats ****
The 2.0T on the sonata is a DI motor with a twin scroll turbo. Yes it has more HP, but the Sonata is a bigger car and it's FWD. I doubt the driving dynamics are anywhere near a GC. Maybe they could put it in the GC at some point, maybe in 2012, but they would need to upgrade the power on the 3.8 or they would be too close.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I expect that when they do the "refresh" on the GC, both platforms will get a 25% increase in power. I believe that a 25% increase will be necessary in order to be competative in the market. MPG will have to be addressed as well by then.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It's not, and pretty much any review out there will say as much. It's a RWD coupe. The only cars you could really fairly compare it to are the G37 coupe, and the 370Z. The Mustang is a retro muscle car that's been around for years
just because YOU wouldn't consider it doesn't mean nobody would. in many tests and reviews, the GC was compared to the camaro and mustang. in fact, i think i've read MORE reviews that pit it against the musclecars than the luxury G coupe and Z's. many people (including myself) cross-shop the GC and mustang because it's a RWD 2+2 coupe under $25,000 or $30,000, whatever your budget may be. in fact, why limit yourself to RWD coupes? i've also seen the GC 2.0 being compared to FWD sports cars- the Mazda Speed3 and Civic Si. you can complain about uncomparableness all you want, people CAN and DO compare the GC to cars like these because they're all intended to be "sporty fun" and around the same price.

don't artificially limit the competition to make yourself look like a winner. some people don't care about the exterior styling, history, or who the other people driving the cars are- and that's pretty much all that really separates the "muscle cars" from "RWD coupes". RWD is not an absolute requirement for "fun" so the civic Si is a perfectly fair comparison for others. 4 doors may not be necessary, just a "bonus" for some people, so a Speed3 may also be on their shopping list.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
just because YOU wouldn't consider it doesn't mean nobody would. in many tests and reviews, the GC was compared to the camaro and mustang. in fact, i think i've read MORE reviews that pit it against the musclecars than the luxury G coupe and Z's.

many people (including myself) cross-shop the GC and mustang because it's a RWD 2+2 coupe under $25,000 or $30,000, whatever your budget may be. don't artificially limit the competition to make yourself look like a winner. some people don't care about the exterior styling, history, or who the other people driving the cars are- and that's pretty much all that really separates the "muscle cars" from "RWD coupes".
I have to agree with this. I wouldn't cross shop a Mustang with the GC because I'm not a fan of the Mustang but I have heard and seen a lot of folks that have. The Camaro and Challenger are also cars that most folks will consider when looking at the Genesis altho I don't consider them sports cars. I was impressed that the 6cyl camaro held its own against the 3.8 Track when Car & Driver did a comparison.

·
Registered
307 Posts
just because YOU wouldn't consider it doesn't mean nobody would. in many tests and reviews, the GC was compared to the camaro and mustang. in fact, i think i've read MORE reviews that pit it against the musclecars than the luxury G coupe and Z's. many people (including myself) cross-shop the GC and mustang because it's a RWD 2+2 coupe under $25,000 or $30,000, whatever your budget may be. in fact, why limit yourself to RWD coupes? i've also seen the GC 2.0 being compared to FWD sports cars- the Mazda Speed3 and Civic Si. you can complain about uncomparableness all you want, people CAN and DO compare the GC to cars like these because they're all intended to be "sporty fun" and around the same price.

don't artificially limit the competition to make yourself look like a winner. some people don't care about the exterior styling, history, or who the other people driving the cars are- and that's pretty much all that really separates the "muscle cars" from "RWD coupes". RWD is not an absolute requirement for "fun" so the civic Si is a perfectly fair comparison for others. 4 doors may not be necessary, just a "bonus" for some people, so a Speed3 may also be on their shopping list.
I'm not saying no one would, I just don't think many would. They are really different cars in my mind. The same could be said for what you are saying. It was compared because there aren't a lot of RWD sport coupes out there to compare it to in it's price range. I'm not sure where looking like a winner thing comes in...I'm just having a discussion about the car.

When I was looking for a new car, I was coming from a AWD Turbo Mazdaspeed. I looked at the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger as well as the 370Z and G37 before I ever even knew about the GC. All I'm trying to point out is I think Hyundai has enough trouble convincing people they have a true sports car now, and I, and let me clarify, don't think there are a lot of people looking at the GC that would otherwise be looking for a retro muscle car in the challenger/mustang/camaro. Maybe I'm completely wrong, and that's fine. I was never trying to say my opinion was fact, or any more of less valuable than anyone else's.

:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Most people out there can't even associate Hyundai with a sports car in their head
This is changing quickly. Hyundai is coming out with some highly competitive products now. It's not the same company it was 20 years ago.

I think any R&D spent to change the drivetrain at all on a one year old "revolutionary" (for Hyundai) would be a waste
I don't think they need to spend much just to get a few extra HP or MPG.

When the new body style Mustang came out back in 2005, how many power and/or mileage changes did they make between 2005 and 2010? Did they make ANY CHANGES at all in 2006?
Ford didn't need to make any changes then because Mustang had NO competition! Now, it has to compete with Camaro, Challenger, and Genesis. The success of the Mustang is probably the reason Genesis coupe came into existence.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd be willing to bet I could count the number of people who consider the Mustang and GC at the same time on two hands. The Mustang is not really a coupe in the sense of the G37/350Z/370Z. It has a full size backseat and is a larger and heavier car. The GC was never marketed at potential Mustang owners. Let's use your mustang example. When the new body style Mustang came out back in 2005, how many power and/or mileage changes did they make between 2005 and 2010? Did they make ANY CHANGES at all in 2006?
the 2011 V6 mustang base model coming with 6spd, LSD, 305hp, and a better interior AND more actual space in the car AND costing less absolutely crucified any chance of me picking up an R-spec. i was leaning heavily towards a WRX but the rspec was indeed cheaper.

the mustang solved all the problems :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do me a favor and read the comments on the review, and the comments on the video of the review on You Tube and see how many of those people are considering a Genesis as well as those other three cars. Even that review of the GC calls it a "wild card" because it's not considered in the same class as the domestic "pony cars".

I never said no one who was considering a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger would look at the GC, I just said MOST wouldn't. I think from the comments of the people freaking out over a Hyundai beating "american muscle" and how the GC is just "POS Korean crap" shows how little success Hyundai would have trying to compete with these cars head on. The Mustang V6 wasn't really even competition at all before the 2011 model. I think there was one comment from someone who said they were considering all of these cars.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts