Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

2011 Gencoupe news!

9K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Jacksamson 
#1 ·
Hyundaimedialive.com

Click the Chapter 4 video, scroll to about 12:00 mark.

- 2011 GC gets a better interior
- R-spec 3.8 may be coming (2012, maybe?)

#7 ·
It's the 2nd year of the car's life. Were you expecting wholesale changes? How many new models, completely new models, come out that change drivetrain in their 2nd year?

Also, what competition is moving ahead? The Mustang is not competition for this car IMO.

#8 ·
Were you expecting wholesale changes?
"Wholesale" changes? No, but a little power and/or gas mileage bump would have been nice. Especially since the Sonata is going to get a 274 HP turbo. Why not use the same engine in the Genesis Coupe?

Also, what competition is moving ahead? The Mustang is not competition for this car IMO.
IMO, the Mustang IS competition for the Genesis Coupe (rear wheel drive sport coupe?). They didn't just upgrade one of their power trains, they upgraded BOTH of them.

#10 ·
"Wholesale" changes? No, but a little power and/or gas mileage bump would have been nice. Especially since the Sonata is going to get a 274 HP turbo. Why not use the same engine in the Genesis Coupe?
I disagree. They barely came out with the GC and they haven't even sold that many. Most people out there can't even associate Hyundai with a sports car in their head, let alone start buying them in droves. I think any R&D spent to change the drivetrain at all on a one year old "revolutionary" (for Hyundai) would be a waste because it would have no effect on sales of the model, and would do nothing more than upset the current owners.

IMO, the Mustang IS competition for the Genesis Coupe (rear wheel drive sport coupe?). They didn't just upgrade one of their power trains, they upgraded BOTH of them.
It's not, and pretty much any review out there will say as much. It's a RWD coupe. The only cars you could really fairly compare it to are the G37 coupe, and the 370Z. The Mustang is a retro muscle car that's been around for years. Almost all of the V6's they sell will be to rental companies, or people who don't want the V8 GT. I'd be willing to bet I could count the number of people who consider the Mustang and GC at the same time on two hands. The Mustang is not really a coupe in the sense of the G37/350Z/370Z. It has a full size backseat and is a larger and heavier car. The GC was never marketed at potential Mustang owners. Let's use your mustang example. When the new body style Mustang came out back in 2005, how many power and/or mileage changes did they make between 2005 and 2010? Did they make ANY CHANGES at all in 2006?

#13 · (Edited)
It's not, and pretty much any review out there will say as much. It's a RWD coupe. The only cars you could really fairly compare it to are the G37 coupe, and the 370Z. The Mustang is a retro muscle car that's been around for years
just because YOU wouldn't consider it doesn't mean nobody would. in many tests and reviews, the GC was compared to the camaro and mustang. in fact, i think i've read MORE reviews that pit it against the musclecars than the luxury G coupe and Z's. many people (including myself) cross-shop the GC and mustang because it's a RWD 2+2 coupe under $25,000 or $30,000, whatever your budget may be. in fact, why limit yourself to RWD coupes? i've also seen the GC 2.0 being compared to FWD sports cars- the Mazda Speed3 and Civic Si. you can complain about uncomparableness all you want, people CAN and DO compare the GC to cars like these because they're all intended to be "sporty fun" and around the same price.

don't artificially limit the competition to make yourself look like a winner. some people don't care about the exterior styling, history, or who the other people driving the cars are- and that's pretty much all that really separates the "muscle cars" from "RWD coupes". RWD is not an absolute requirement for "fun" so the civic Si is a perfectly fair comparison for others. 4 doors may not be necessary, just a "bonus" for some people, so a Speed3 may also be on their shopping list.

#14 ·
just because YOU wouldn't consider it doesn't mean nobody would. in many tests and reviews, the GC was compared to the camaro and mustang. in fact, i think i've read MORE reviews that pit it against the musclecars than the luxury G coupe and Z's.

many people (including myself) cross-shop the GC and mustang because it's a RWD 2+2 coupe under $25,000 or $30,000, whatever your budget may be. don't artificially limit the competition to make yourself look like a winner. some people don't care about the exterior styling, history, or who the other people driving the cars are- and that's pretty much all that really separates the "muscle cars" from "RWD coupes".
I have to agree with this. I wouldn't cross shop a Mustang with the GC because I'm not a fan of the Mustang but I have heard and seen a lot of folks that have. The Camaro and Challenger are also cars that most folks will consider when looking at the Genesis altho I don't consider them sports cars. I was impressed that the 6cyl camaro held its own against the 3.8 Track when Car & Driver did a comparison.

#11 ·
The 2.0T on the sonata is a DI motor with a twin scroll turbo. Yes it has more HP, but the Sonata is a bigger car and it's FWD. I doubt the driving dynamics are anywhere near a GC. Maybe they could put it in the GC at some point, maybe in 2012, but they would need to upgrade the power on the 3.8 or they would be too close.

#12 ·
I expect that when they do the "refresh" on the GC, both platforms will get a 25% increase in power. I believe that a 25% increase will be necessary in order to be competative in the market. MPG will have to be addressed as well by then.

#16 ·
Most people out there can't even associate Hyundai with a sports car in their head
This is changing quickly. Hyundai is coming out with some highly competitive products now. It's not the same company it was 20 years ago.

I think any R&D spent to change the drivetrain at all on a one year old "revolutionary" (for Hyundai) would be a waste
I don't think they need to spend much just to get a few extra HP or MPG.

When the new body style Mustang came out back in 2005, how many power and/or mileage changes did they make between 2005 and 2010? Did they make ANY CHANGES at all in 2006?
Ford didn't need to make any changes then because Mustang had NO competition! Now, it has to compete with Camaro, Challenger, and Genesis. The success of the Mustang is probably the reason Genesis coupe came into existence.

#17 ·
I don't & never have compared GenCoupe the "retro-muscle" cars to the, but I can see where others would (sporty, 2 doors, close price). I do however compare the GenCoupe 3.8 Track with the 335i, G37 & 370Z, but the 2.0T is a little harder to compare. I would say the closest thing in my mind to an R-spec is an RX8.

#20 ·
Do me a favor and read the comments on the review, and the comments on the video of the review on You Tube and see how many of those people are considering a Genesis as well as those other three cars. Even that review of the GC calls it a "wild card" because it's not considered in the same class as the domestic "pony cars".

I never said no one who was considering a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger would look at the GC, I just said MOST wouldn't. I think from the comments of the people freaking out over a Hyundai beating "american muscle" and how the GC is just "POS Korean crap" shows how little success Hyundai would have trying to compete with these cars head on. The Mustang V6 wasn't really even competition at all before the 2011 model. I think there was one comment from someone who said they were considering all of these cars.

#21 ·
the comments of the people freaking out over a Hyundai beating "american muscle"
I wouldn't read too deeply into viewer comments. A lot of those people are just fanboys or just looking for someone to argue with. This is just Motor Trend's opinion, for what it's worth. Car and Driver actually picked the Camaro over the Genesis in their head to head comparison test.

#22 ·
If i'm in the market for a sporty RWD 2 door platform for under 30k, I would absolutely consider the V6 mustang as well as the Gencoupe 3.8, Camaro V6 RS, and V6 Challenger. Now, if I absolutely hate pony cars, well, that pretty much leaves the GenCoupe the only choice. If I hate imports, then well that leaves the others.

If i'm an open minded consumer and want the best performance per dollar ratio, the new V6 Mustang is hard to beat, especially when equipped with the outgoing GT's suspension and drivetrain upgrades. That live rear axel, although archaic, does the job VERY well in the handling dept. and 1/4 mile perfornce embarasses the GenCoupe 3.8 Track considerably, especially since the GC has a better power to weight ratio (obviously Hyundai's drivetrain nannies are holding the car back). Hell, the V6 Mustang nearly matches the performance of the outgoing GT.

The GC is def. a contender but if you don't mind the styling and persona of the Mustang, it's a tough choice. Out the box the V6 Mustang is a faster car, hands down.

What the GC offers that the Mustang doesn't, is an absolutely new character and exclusiveness of being the new player. Growing aftermarket support will further enhance every owners ability to build an import to taste and be different. I think the GC caters more to the hands-on, tuning enthusiast. There will be more V6 mustangs on the road than 3.8 GenCoupes. But I'm willing to bet there will be more modified 3.8 GenCoupes than V6 mustangs....

#23 ·
I don't know if I'd say the Stang "embarrasses" the GC Track, but yes, it is faster out of the box. I know the GC is not as fast without the latest ECU update, and it will put out some more power on 93 octane (rated at 314 with 91), so I think in real world driving, they are probably pretty close.

In these sort of discussions it always comes down to personal opinions of what fits better. Yes, the stripped down V6 Mustang is a bit faster than the GC Track as tested, but it's close enough that it's not a deal breaker IMO. I prefer driving a car you don't see everywhere, and isn't something that there are eleven zillion of out on the road. I'll admit, and I was a Mustang guy for 14 years, I can't stand the whole retro styling that seems to be in these days. A lot of these V6 Mustangs will be rentals, so you will have even more of them out there.

I'm in NH, and to date I've only seen one on the road, and it was from Vermont. Everywhere I go I get people looking and pointing at my car, and asking me questions. I had a guy in a Ford F-350 pull up next to me at a light and ask, "Hey, what is that? I bet it goes!". My favorite type of driving is to hit some curvy back roads, and have some fun. This car is better suited to that type of driving than any of those pony cars, even the Mustang which still handles well, unlike my old '92 GT. Add to that the warranty difference between the cars, especially the 7 year corrosion, the price I got it for, and all the goodies inside (NAV, Voice control, USB port, Push Button Start, etc) and this was the perfect car in this price range for me. If i didn't get this car, I probably would have spent more money than I wanted to get a G37. If the Mustang would have finally dropped the retro look on the new ones, I'd probably be looking at a GT.

I guess in my age group, and the car guys I know, I don't see a lot of people who would ever even mention a Hyundai in the same sentence as a Mustang/Challenger/Camaro. I agree that is narrow minded, but it is what it is. A lot of those comments, while fanboy in nature, reflect the perceptions people still have in regards to Hyundai and a true sports car. If you asked me before I drove a GC if I'd ever own a Hyundai, I'd have laughed at you. I knew they made great cars now, but trying to think of them making an actual sports car seemed out there. No offense to the Tiburon, but I don't really consider it a sports car, mainly because it was always lacking in power, and was FWD. I went to the dealership looking at driving a Genesis sedan, and didn't even know the GC existed.

Anyway, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this. It's all good...we are all car guys and have different opinions. Nothing wrong with that!

:)

#24 ·
I don't see a lot of people who would ever even mention a Hyundai in the same sentence as a Mustang/Challenger/Camaro
It's a two way street. A lot of people looking at Hyundai and/or Asian brands won't even consider an American car. They think that the American manufacturers are the same companies that they were 30 years ago. Some people won't look at GM or Chrysler products just because they accepted government loans.

#28 ·
I wasn't really given the impression it would be a restyled interior. He made it sound like it would be a serious redo on the craftmanship and quality of the parts.
I'm thinking softer materials on the dash, instead of hard plastic.. more scratch resistant.. that sort of thing.

#29 ·
You have to look at it for what it is. When the 3.8 GenCoupe hit the streets, it's only real competitors were the G35/37 and the BMW 3 series. Both of these cars were WAAAAY out of Hyundai's price range. The Mustang and Challenger didn't even come close a year ago and the Camaro was enjoying it's 8th year or so as a concept. So that made the Genesis the best choice at the time. Hyundai raised the bar then and now Ford has in turn raised it again. It's the name of the game. Ford knew what the competition had to offer and they knew if they wanted to sale some Mustangs they were gonna have to top the Coupe and they have...sorta. The same thing Hyundai knew when they released the Coupe. Now the ball is back in Hyundai's court.

I believe Hyundai will spend the next 2-3 yrs refining this model then, once they are confident in all aspects of the car, they will make some real changes to the drive train. I think it's too soon for them to make any major changes to a car that was released for the first time just a year ago.

I still believe that the 3.8 Coupe is the best buy in the price range. The car is the most original out of the four. It has the best warranty and it still performs as good or better than it's competitors. I can appreciate where Ford is headed with the Mustang but when I'm sitting at a stop light I don't want to be there next to 3 other folks who have the same car as me. Such was the case when I had my Mustang, they are everywhere. There are 5 members on this forum living in my town and I still see far less GenCoupes than new Mustangs or even Camaros.

#31 ·
Anyone see the comments that said the GC had "generic styling", or looked boring? It's fine if you don't like the car, or prefer the retro styling, but I don't see how anyone that is even remotely objective could say the GC has generic styling or is boring.

#32 ·
I don't see how anyone that is even remotely objective could say the GC has generic styling or is boring.
if you were comparing it to the G37, maybe. but comparing them to the muscle cars? those things are like lego bricks. musclecar styling is as generic as you can get in the automotive industry... except in the aerodynamic hybrids category.

#36 ·
I gotta agree with Tufast and pyro. Even if it took styling points from the Infinity, I like the look of the Gen better too. I also think the G35 looks better than the G37, especially from the rear. The trunk slope is terrible and that chrome strip is just not attractive. If Hyundai can upgrade the interior and straighten out some of the issues in the suspension, I think the coupe will not only look and perform as well as the G cars, it will stand up to the "upscale" scrutiny like the Sedan. I was looking at a M45 the other day and the interior of the sedan is easily on par with the M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.