Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was checking out what was happening over at gencoupe.com & ran across this.....
Now for those not looking for huge #s, not wanting to spend a ass load of money, or want a DD that's not too tempermental, here ya go...
I figured i would post some of the comments from some of the guys over there, since they were pretty good....

I don't have FireFox, so I couldn't get the dyno graph..

quote Galbi
"Stock exhaust
28RS turbo
Not sure about manual or auto"

"The location of the turbo is interesting. Most of the turbos we've seen until now are located above the exhaust manifold. However as you can see, this one is BELOW the manifold."

"BTW, this is on 1 bar boost."

quote ItalynStylion
"....the lower mounted turbo since some of it's heat will be wicked away from underneath the car and it wont cook the rest of the components in the engine bay."

"I think it would be worth while to ceramic coat the turbo manifold too in order to keep the heat from radiating in the engine bay. It would probably only be like $100 or so but it would make a ton of difference. Maybe even use some of that header wrap too. It would keep it substantially cooler in there."

quote cant stop spinning
"that is very interesting. i'm still yet to see this motor mount HKS was talking about that limits the size of the turbo. granted this one is pretty small, still makes good power, but its interesting that they went below the manifold for sure...."

quote FlesHBoX
"yeah I love this setup to the "on top" ones... very clean and it shows off the turbo manifold quite nicely "

quote Zguy
"what did it dyno for those of us that do not have FireFox?"

quote FRCDAIR
"323.74 whp, 291.35 lb-ft"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah i dunno why they wouldnt just call it a Gt28RS like they say GT30R, I guess they havent seen those ebay turbos lol.
I need ot stop looking at this stuff, I dont need to spend more money haha. I was going to put a Gt30R on my current car. Very nice turbo

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Thats what I meant, the torque curve is very erratic and seems very narrow, of course, I know nothing about that turbo, so it may just be due to the nature of how it is working. Maybe that was on an automatic car.

·
Registered
292 Posts
No matter what kind of turbo they're using, it should be alot smoother than that. The only things I can think of as to why it's so choppy and rough is if there's some kind of ignition or fueling problem causing it to run rough, or some kind of problem in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
that graph looks like crap!!!! the turbo spools so freakin late wtf and its about the size of a stock evo turbo too??

the only thing o could think of is that they need to play with the vvt more to get it too spool earlier but 4+grand rpm to spool up thats rubbish just wait for buschurs kits to come out!! they will have u spooling like stock in no time lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmm, I wonder why they don't have the hp and torque crossing at 5252 rpm. Unless they're using some other formula.
The HP and TQ measurements are not on an equal scale..

It also seems pretty choppy. Normally the graphs that the shops around here put out are much smoother than that when a car has a decent tune on it.
The reason why some graphs look 'choppier' than others is because of the level of smoothing you can do on a dynosheet to make it look, well, smoother.. That graph is probably w/o smoothing..

·
Registered
77 Posts
that graph looks like crap!!!! the turbo spools so freakin late wtf and its about the size of a stock evo turbo too??

the only thing o could think of is that they need to play with the vvt more to get it too spool earlier but 4+grand rpm to spool up thats rubbish just wait for buschurs kits to come out!! they will have u spooling like stock in no time lol
Where do you see that it took it till 4k+ to spool up? Peak tq is not where it spools.. You can clearly see the tq line rising from 2k-4k.. It hit peak tq at ~4300 rpms, which is what that size turbo is supposed to do, have good low end tq..

·
Registered
155 Posts
usually its right before the tq peaks that u hit full spool moral of the story

also a turbo that size???? that turbo rat crap spooling like that and making those numbers. so ya why is a similar turbo on my old set up making quicker spool then this thing?
ex

i would hit full spool at 3.2-3.3k when my graph shows it at around 3.8krpm and to top it off i was hitting a higher psi???

for its size that turbo is laggy when it shouldnt be... it seems like the guy probably spools up at 3.8k rpm and it has a boost creep problem or something is funky with the weird spike in tq? even with smothing thats is a funky spike

and then here is my 30r turbo which is only 1 size bigger turbo then this guys 28r and i spool only 200rpm later then this guy 4000rpm while my current turbo takes longer to spool along with not only being bigger but the fact that im boosting 30psi compared to this guys 14psi.

so my conclusion in this turbo is that its just some off the shelf garret with a fancy looking header and a on the spot fabbed up o2 housing so its not up to its full potential and then the tuner wither negatively messed with the vvt or timing or something.

that turbo should be hitting full spool 3-5 hundred rpm earlier and shouldnt have that funky boost creep looking spike in the tq curve.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the graph.
Thanks dboz, my computer couldn't read FireFox. Able to see graph now & isn't very uniform.

It also seems pretty choppy. Normally the graphs that the shops around here put out are much smoother than that when a car has a decent tune on it.
I think this is a low budget job done w/a crappy tune.

No matter what kind of turbo they're using, it should be alot smoother than that. The only things I can think of as to why it's so choppy and rough is if there's some kind of ignition or fueling problem causing it to run rough, or some kind of problem in the drivetrain.
+1....a turbo that small should have very little lag & a smooth power band.

Thanks for that info. Makes sense.
+1...........

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most Garrett turbos are "Off the shelf" I dont think that the car is tuned at all. as was said in the other thread the turbo is a good street turbo. Great mid range and decent low and high.
If it isnt tuned how do you expect it to run the way it was designed?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's the graph from my car. I'm running a GT3076R and I'm seeing 20 psi by about 4k rpm on a 2.0l engine. Keep in mind this is on a Dyno Dynamics dyno (load bearing) and they generally read about 15% lower than a Dynojet (free wheeling drum) which is what most of the dyno sheets we have seen for the GenCoupe so far.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.