Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you probably know there are lots of speculation on the Coupe pricing... I personally think the Coupe will start right around $20,000 for the base 2.0t and around $24,000 for the base V6... That being said at what price point will you walk away from the Coupe and why? Is it just the price?

For me after seeing the base Camaro I am willing to spend more to get a better overall car. Even if the base 2.0t comes in at the base v6 Camaro price... The quality of the BK is just SO much better. I hope people just don't go on price alone when comparing cars, especially to the inferior Camaro. However it seems that on the other forums people are jumping ship...

Your thoughts??

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I personally think that anyone who jumps ship based just on the price of the POS Camaro will be because those people were not serious to begin with. Either that or they have no recent experience with the quality of Hyundai or Chevrolet or both. I can't seriously believe that someone would buy the stripped Camaro over the Genesis because it's more horsepower for the money. They apparently know nothing about investment.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know one person who already jumped ship simply because the Coupe doesn't use the exact same block as the Evo. If the 2.0t with the track package comes in at anything over 26k I'm gonna have to seriously consider waiting till I can find one used. That's just more than I care to spend on a car. I'm still hoping for that 23-24k figure.

·
Mini Speeder
212 Posts
ok, i didn't know where to put this, so i just didn't post for a while.
i was planning on getting the v6 track, fully loaded.... i didn't have any others in mind because... i like my cars fully loaded. so i'm guessing it would be around $29k??
so i was talking to my boyfriend about it.. and he kinda looked at me like......... are you serious?
he definitly likes the coupe, but he told me to reconsider if the price would be that high.
so we were looking around, car window-shopping... (cuz that's what we do when we're bored)...

and i saw.......... a porsche boxter S.. 45k miles, $27k, black.
...i mean... it's a convertible..... :p

ever since, i've been shaken. badly. haha... man... this sucks......
i feel like my days of surfing genesis forums were a waste....
somebody get my heart set back on the coupe pleaseeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Couple things, 45,000 miles is like 3-4 years of ownership, compared to a brand spanking new car. One more thing, Porsches are expensive to maintain and fix when they break. Does that change your mind?

·
Mini Speeder
212 Posts
Couple things, 45,000 miles is like 3-4 years of ownership, compared to a brand spanking new car. One more thing, Porsches are expensive to maintain and fix when they break. Does that change your mind?
i knoooowwwwwwwww.... i love cars that aren't too common... (ie camry, 350z, g35... <~way too common cars... i get sick of it)
but maintanence and insurance won't be too much of a problem, because my parents would take care of that. nice try, though....

anybody else?? pleeeeasee???? :'(

·
The Dude
2,120 Posts
My car is almost 5 years old and I only have 32k miles on it. There was 13k miles on it when I bought it almost 3 years ago. It was the BMW dealers grandaughters so it had everything.

Porsches are expensive to keep up! Well you rparents probably wont like the upkeep on the porsche compared to the Genesis.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I have been shopping cars for a while (6 months at least). On my short list are the WRX, Ralliart, VW CC, MS3, Mazda 6 and the COUPE. I am looking for a good performing DD that does not cost a lot and is practical and somewhat fuel efficient (I drive a Ridgeline as my DD now so that is not hard to beat). I want a fun drive and ability to spice it up down the road once my enthusiasm wanes or warranty expires.

I have also considered the SI (I know the new car manager at a HONDA dealer), COBALT SS sedan and coupe. I have driven all cars mentions except the CC and the M6.

I can get a WRX sedan with 265hp, 4 doors, AWD and easily modded if I chose with Accessport for about 25k. It puts down some very nice numbers and from the preliminaries on here the V6 Coupe is barely sub 6 seconds. The WRX is in the high 4's low 5's, 0-60. Many on NASIOC have blown engine problems on the 09!! MAJOR CONCERN!!

The SS is solid and fast with great handing and brakes and acceleration. The interior is terrible. The body style is not much better. It gets awesome gas mileage and at one point I was almost sold on the sedan just based on price/performance. $18,500, 21K OTD on a sedan. On the highway I was seeing mid 30 MPG. It was a good bang for the buck.

The RA is in the same price as a loaded COUPE V6, about 26-30k. It has the 4b11 block and internals of the EVO with a different turbo and intercooler and some engine bay config differences. It is roomy, AWD with Evo 9 running gear. It has the SST 6 speed. If I buy it at Rick Case in Cleveland they give you a 20 year, 200k warranty (I can get this on a HYUNDAI also). It is a heavy car, does not put up good numbers stock and is expensive with crappy factory tires.

The SI is just a solid car with minimal performance but it is cheap and can be had loaded for about 20k and have some great MPG and resale (not huge priority). Nice interior and roomy for the size.

I am waiting for the new MS3 to hit but am not really a fan of the hatch/wagon. It is a good car for the money...about 23k. Nice interior.

I have considered the VW CC just on looks but I think reliability is an issue. A 2.0t can be modded there also but again drivetrain is not good overall, at least that is my finding. 31 MPG highway with a 6 speed and very luxurious with a killer interior.

The Mazda 6 is a compromise and I have not driven one. In person it does not look like my style.

The COUPE has the RWD concern (winter in OHIO), figured I would go with winter tires and try it. (also adds another thousand to the cost) I would probably get the V6 with the paddle ZF. Since I have figured out that you need the track to get LSD, which I feel necessary for winter and spirited driving, that has put a wrench in my works. I do not want a 29k Hyundai and in my mind could not justify that price for a Hyundai. I do not really want to spend 29k on ANY car right now.

Having said that, it will be tough for me to go more than 24k on the V6 ZF COUPE. I realize sticker will be more but that would be my target. The 2.0T is sounding very wimpy in stock form, and I do not feel like spending thousands in mods for a DD. I figure 1-3k into a base coupe would yield good numbers but then warranty out the door and resale probably in the toilet also. I think it is the best looking of all the cars mentioned. I still have some Hyundai brand black baggage also. Want to believe this car is good but still not sold 100% on a new model. There is a new HYUNDAI dealer 10 minutes from my house right next to the SUBARU dealer. Hope you don't need them, but convenient when you do.

At 23-24k I could also bag an 06 STI or Evo 9 but both of those are a little more rough than I really want. My brother would also sell his 05 ROUSH mustang to me in that price range.

Keep in mind that I have a 72 Skylark with a 462 Big Block (easy low 12's and I run a puny 750 Quadrajet) that has monster torque for my weekend thrill fix and a 72 Corvette with a 383 stroker that is about 75% done on a frame off. In general, it is a hard sell to my wife to get a manual that she can't drive, especially when I already have two toys and two boys that are 3 and 5 (coupe not as practical but I can deal with it). She thinks I am at a major mid life crisis looking at "kids cars" in her mind, but she knows I will get what I want regardless.

So that is my story if you read this to this point. I will put on my flame suit in advance. Again, this is all just my personal opinion having driving most of these cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no backing out for me, already have 12 grand ready. I dont think the price is a factor for me,seeing as this is going to be the first "New" car ill be buying. I just hope the prices aren't too ridiculous when they come out.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i knoooowwwwwwwww.... i love cars that aren't too common... (ie camry, 350z, g35... <~way too common cars... i get sick of it)
but maintanence and insurance won't be too much of a problem, because my parents would take care of that. nice try, though....

anybody else?? pleeeeasee???? :'(
To be honest if you are looking at a Porsche Boxster S vs a Coupe you are comparing apples to oranges... About the only thing they have in common are that they have two doors and four tires and an engine. That being said, they are both GREAT cars for their RESPECTIVE segments. Porsche reliability has gone up quite a bit and so has it's quality, but the one you are looking at is 3-4 years old as mentioned... so it won't be perfect, but it is not a common car, you won't see as many of them compared to the BK.

Now the Genesis Coupe, well it's a 2+2, will have very good performance (V6 anyways), GREAT aftermarket support, probably cheaper to maintain and upgrade. Plus if you get the Porsche you will miss out on all the great BK gatherings! and who cares what your BF thinks, he just wants you to get a Porsche to get a Porsche and to tell his friends, "Ya my GF has a Porsche".. in other words I think he is just using you for your mind and car... :dunno: I think the choice is clear. :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<snip>

Having said that, it will be tough for me to go more than 24k on the V6 ZF COUPE. I realize sticker will be more but that would be my target. The 2.0T is sounding very wimpy in stock form, and I do not feel like spending thousands in mods for a DD. I figure 1-3k into a base coupe would yield good numbers but then warranty out the door and resale probably in the toilet also. I think it is the best looking of all the cars mentioned. I still have some Hyundai brand black baggage also. Want to believe this car is good but still not sold 100% on a new model. There is a new HYUNDAI dealer 10 minutes from my house right next to the SUBARU dealer. Hope you don't need them, but convenient when you do.
<snip>
I understand your points Dboz but I don't get quite why you have such a low $$ for the ZF V6. It will probably come in around $25-26g, but it will still be a great value compared to anything new out on the market right now. Also I don't think the 2.0t is that wimpy, I mean this will probably be a mid 14 second car. That IMO is respectable. But even better I think it will be EASY to get an extra 35-45HP just doing SIMPLE upgrades like exhaust and intake and get this car into. Wait till BR, RT, VR and other's work on the 2.0!

if the v6 is more than 29k OTD im going to buy a used evo or STI or G35 :)
I can't argue that a used EVO or STI wouldn't be a way to go, they at least have a decent aftermarket support, but the Infinitis, just forget, it doesn't compare to what the BK will have...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't think anything can sway me. The price for a loaded 3.8 Track can't conceivably get higher than say $32k before TTL... People would go headhunting at Hyundai's US HQ in Fountain Valley...

Since I have already secured guaranteed financing, I'm going to get the one I want, the way I want it or I will always regret making any compromise. I'm actually more worried about the insurance premiums than the MSRP of the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
but the thing that you have to remember is that the dealers will have a mark up on the coupes bc the base price of a G37 is 35,900 and the s model is 37,000 so then the price from the dealer is 40k to 44k. so i thnk the dealers are gonna have atleast 3 to 5 for the gen coupe.

·
Mini Speeder
212 Posts
i think the words "$29k for a hyundai" are..... obsolete. ...if that's even the right word.
i'm sure almost everybody on this forum acknowledges that hyundai definitly shed out of its previous reputation with the genesis coming out. with that said, wouldnt the $29k justify the car for what its worth and not its emblem? iono, just a thought.

but even then, i totally agree with you, i wouldn't spend that $29k on this coupe, cuz i'll spend it on that porsche i saw. sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetTTT~~

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think anything can sway me. The price for a loaded 3.8 Track can't conceivably get higher than say $32k before TTL... People would go headhunting at Hyundai's US HQ in Fountain Valley...

Since I have already secured guaranteed financing, I'm going to get the one I want, the way I want it or I will always regret making any compromise. I'm actually more worried about the insurance premiums than the MSRP of the car.
I would also have to say that there is a price point that I will go "WTH?!?!??!"... I'm being hopeful though and wishing the base 2.0t comes in at $20g... but I'll be willing to pay more considering it's still going to have lots of value and performance for the price compared to other cars.

but the thing that you have to remember is that the dealers will have a mark up on the coupes bc the base price of a G37 is 35,900 and the s model is 37,000 so then the price from the dealer is 40k to 44k. so i thnk the dealers are gonna have atleast 3 to 5 for the gen coupe.
In this economy there shouldn't be ANY markups at all, if there is I'll just keep looking until I find a dealer that is fair.. if not I'll steal Jrod's coupe. :)

i think the words "$29k for a hyundai" are..... obsolete. ...if that's even the right word.
i'm sure almost everybody on this forum acknowledges that hyundai definitly shed out of its previous reputation with the genesis coming out. with that said, wouldnt the $29k justify the car for what its worth and not its emblem? iono, just a thought.

but even then, i totally agree with you, i wouldn't spend that $29k on this coupe, cuz i'll spend it on that porsche i saw. sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetTTT~~
I would say the Porsche boxster for a girl wouldn't be a bad route to go... if you do go that route stick around and post up some pics!

·
Registered
342 Posts
You just need to know how to deal with dealers, go in with a set price and deal with the online or fleet sales person. Do your research, take print outs of edmunds or kbb. I bought my first new car at invoice because I mentioned how I knew they get a $600 kick back on the car, I had them down over $5000 from where they started in 15 minutes and bought it at the price I set on. I was in and out of the dealship in 30 minutes. Tell them you know other people are buying it for xy and z and they'll give you that price. They want to sell you a car, don't even play the numbers games with them.

I still would get a new gen coupe over the 3/4 year old Porsche. A used EVO might be tempting, but a new/used STI or WRX no way. I know someone who's on his third engine after blowing two up, one a WRX engine, one an STI engine. The stock pistons are like glass, they shatter at the littlest detonation.

·
Mini Speeder
212 Posts
I still would get a new gen coupe over the 3/4 year old Porsche. A used EVO might be tempting, but a new/used STI or WRX no way. I know someone who's on his third engine after blowing two up, one a WRX engine, one an STI engine. The stock pistons are like glass, they shatter at the littlest detonation.
well, i'd say compare what kind of drivers an sti/wrx vs a porsche boxter would warrant. i don't think anybody would even THINK of blowing up a boxter engine... $$$$$$$$!!!

I would say the Porsche boxster for a girl wouldn't be a bad route to go... if you do go that route stick around and post up some pics!
hmm we'll see about that, cuz it'll still be a while until i trade in my car. i know i'll really start looking around late june (just in time for my bdayyy!! woot!) ............unless that porsche doesnt sell until then. that's a different story. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.