Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai Genesis sedan a compelling alternative to Camry, Accord and Altima

All the car buff magazines have given it raving reviews. And I can see why. Hyundai’s Genesis rear-drive sedan, is a compelling competitor to the popular three imports that includes Accord, Altima and Camry. But there’s one major difference. The Genesis is rated as a full-size car at mid-size prices. And it’s loaded with amenities.

As Hyundai’s first full-size sedan, Genesis rides like a Toyota Avalon, Mercury Grand Marquis, Chrysler 300 and Ford Taurus. It has large car flair with exceptional handling and quietness. And it’s also offered with a V8, another first for this Korean carmaker.

My test car came with the standard 290-hp, 3.8L V6 but a 375-hp 4.6L V8 is optionally available. The 3.8L exhibited impressive power and torque throughout its low and high rpm ranges. And it did so with an EPA mileage rating of 18 city, 27 highway mpg with a 6-speed automatic transmission. I can only presume that the V8 would power this sedan (which resembles a Lexus LS sedan from the front end), with even more gusto.

Genesis’ interior is equal and in some cases surpasses that found in the popular three. A swoopy dash, covered in brown and black leather in my test car, compliments easy to use HVAC controls that are flush and soft to the touch.

Trunk space is adequate and can accommodate two hardsided Pullmans. But a pair of golf bags requires pulling and stowing the long clubs atop the bag. Reason being, the back seats do not fold. There’s merely a pass-through which rates a demerit in my book.

As for the latest technology, there’s an iPod connector along with ABS, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Brake Assist, Stability Control, side curtain airbags, tire pressure monitoring and more to fill out the amenity and safety features list. For an extra $3,000, you get 18-inch alloy wheels, Surround sound audio, power sunroof, telescopic wheel, rain-sensing wipers plus auto-debugging windshield.

Starting at a competitive price of $32,250, these aforementioned goodies bring the bottom line to $36,000 including delivery. Now that’s a compelling price for a full-size sedan containing all the modern conveniences, features and functions of a comparably priced mid-size. Putting it bluntly, you’re getting a lot of car for your money.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.