Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Carbon fiber isn't a material that is new to the world. Aerospace and Fromula 1 have been using carbon fiber for many years, mainly because of its low weight and high strength. In the sport compact performance world, its appeal is its low weight, but also its exotic look of the material. Carbon fiber has a unique look to it. From a diastance it looks black, but as you draw closer you can see the material is actually a woven fabric that affords a contrasting look between each weave. This weave almost results in a 3-D effect, creating a sense of depth. For this reason, products made with of accentuated with carbon fiber are highly sought after.

Automotive aftermarket companies caught on early and the results have been tremendous. Now we can purchase products as simple as a shift knob, which eight has a "carbon fiber look" to it or is made of the real deal. If you can think of an accessory for your ride that is made of conventional material, such as aluminum, there is probably a carbon fiber example available somewhere. Over the last year, we have seen more and more products made from carbon fiber hitting the streets - and we're not just talking about interior accessories, either. It's not uncommon to see a ride with carbon fiber canards, wings, hoods, or even full front clips. These products not only accentuate the looks of your ride, but they also make a bold statement: This ride is hot.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

In the past, the price of carbon fiber products was quite high and generally unobtainable for enthusiasts. But, now that companies have found more cost-effective ways of manufacturing carbon-fiber-related products, retail prices have become far more reasonable. The beauty of carbon fiber is that no matter what color your ride is, carbon fiber always seems to fit in.

The latest craze is about carbon fiber body components. It all started with carbon fiber hoods as an alternative to fiberglass, which is also lightweight yet not quite as light or as cosmetically appealing. Fiberglass must be painted to match the rest of the body panels, whereas carbon fiber body panels come finished with clearcoat and are ready to install. Most enthusiasts decide to leave the raw carbon panels as the are, instead of painting them to match the body, as they would with fiberglass parts. Some enthusiasts even have the body parts sprayed with an additional application of clearcoat, tinted to match the body. This combination introduces some intriguing optical properties to the carbon fiber, enhancing the original woven-fabirc look.

This Buyer's Guide offers just a glimpse into the world of carbon fiber parts and accessories, as it would take a bevy of catalogs to provide you with every item available; there are that many products out there today. Our purpose is to help illustrate what you can purchase to improve the look of your ride. With a little bit of creativity, you can devise your own signature syle in the form of carbon fiber.

Extreme Dimensions '03-up Nissan 350Z Carbon Creations Type N-1 Kit

Carbon Creations recently released its new N-1 kit for "03-up 350Zs. OEM carbon fiber fenders and hood are also available for this vehicle. A pioneer in the aftermarket aerodynamics industry, Carbon Creations' products are made with 100% hand-laid carbon fiber, resulting in light weight, proper fitting and show-quality products.

Extreme Dimensions Silver Carbon Fiber Hood
:read:
Carbon Creations has also released a brand new silver carbon fiber hood line. Like the Type N-1 Kit, all of its silver carbon fiber products are made with 100% hand-laid carbon fiber, resulting in a lightweight hood that fits properly. Red, blue, and yellow carbon fiber hoods are also available for a variety of vehicles.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

JSP Carbon Fiber Hoods and Trunks

JSP carbon fiber hoods and trunks are handcrafted in North America with class "A" carbon fiber and high-tech resins. Each component has a proprietary clearcoat that results in a beautiful, wet, mirror finish that is both show quality and functional. UV protection prevents clouding and yellowing, and also allows drilling for easy installation of nozzles and hood pins.

Every JSP carbon fiber trunk and hood has a one piece backing finished in high gloss black with rivieted latches at four points. They offer a weight savings of approximately 50% and are designed with OE-matching crumple zones.Blue, orange, green, yellow, and red are also available on a customer order basis. (Note: there is an additional charge for colored clearcoat.)

JSP GT Blade Wing

This JGTC-spec wing weighs a merely 6 pounds. Great downforce and a slight lift from the center air slot provide unmatched stability at high speeds. It's available in 56-ince and 59-inch, sizes, with 5-inch or 10-inch pedestals tat are applicable to most vehicles.

Ractive Carbon Fiber Mufflers with Tips

Three of the most popular styles of Ractive mufflers are available with an outer skin of pure, high-modulous carbon fiber: The mufflers are constructed of T-304 stainless steel and have a straight through design. These carbon fiber mufflers will coordinate and complement other carbon fiber accents on your vehicle. Models that are available are: MT603C (removable silencer), MT629C & MT631C

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

ACTP Composite Driveshafts
:read:
Testing has shown rear wheel horsepower gains with a switch to an ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft. This increase in power is primarily due to the lower rotational mass of the driveshaft. Carbon fiber offers the strenth to resist extreme torque, with about half the weight of steel. The unique vibration dampening characteristics of carbon fiber also help improve power application. Engine builders are familiar with the power gains that high-performance crank dampeners can provide. A carbon fiber driveshaft can give you similar benefits by cutting power losses due to drivetrain vibration.

JDP Engineering DP 92'-'93 Integra Carbon Fiber Lip

Made entirely of carbon fiber, JDP has designed this lip to mount under your OEM bumper: The lip lowers your front approximately 2.5 inches, giving a more aggressive look.

JDP '97-'03 Audi A4 1.8t Carbon Fiber Engine Cover

This is a direct replacement of the old OEM engine cover: Finished with a high-gloss clearcoat, the JDP engine cover addes a finishing touch to the A4 engine.

Mantaray Motorsport Carbon Fiber Hoods

Genuine carbon fiber hoods, fenders, trunks, side skirts, wings and more are available from Mantaray Motorsport Racing. Made in the U.S. with the highest quality materials, over 80 hood styles are currently available. With more being developed, Mantaray is sure to have what you need.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Falken Tire Factory Tuned Pure Carbon Cannon

The Falken Tire Factory Tuned Pure Carbon Cannon features a pure carbon fiber outer shell that substantially reduces weight and provides excellent thermal stability. The Pure Carbon Cannon also features mechanical TIG-welding that ensures consistant bead flow and superior welds. High-density glass wool packing optimizes tone and exaust flow. A stainless protective mesh diffuses internal exaust and extends glass wool lifecycle. Stainless mounting hardware is also included with the Pure Carbon Cannon.

RKSport '95-'02 Carbon Fiber Extractor Hood for the Cavalier

The Extractor Hood will help keep your engine bay cooler by drawing hot air out. With its baffled design, outside elements are kept out of the engine compartment. Constructed from real hand-laid carbon fiber, the Extractor Hood will add not only function, but an origiinal look to any Cavalier exterior. The hood also comes with a billet grille for added style.

RKSport '97-'04 Carbon Fiber Pro Stock Wing with Carbon Fiber Inset for the Cavalier

This carbon fiber wing brings functionality and style to the Cavalier body it was designed to be a direct replacement to the stock wing on the '97-'02 Z24 models as well as painless upgrade for non-Z24 owners. Each wing is crafted from hand-laid carbon fiber and quality fiberglass. The wing also includes an LED brake lamp.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

WestCoast Spoilers Carbon Fiber Hoods

WestCoast Spoilers has over 10,000 spoilers and body kits in stock within its 100,000 sq ft warehouse, including a considerable variety of carbon products such as spoilers, hoods and wings, No matter what project you are building, WCS is able to provide you with a quality product and great customer service.

RKSport '95-'04 Cavalier/Sunfire Carbon Fiber Engine Covers

These covers dress up your engine bay and add a touch of luxury to a race or show vehicle. The covers were meant to replicate the original shape of the part, but with the added appeal of real carbon fiber. There are covers available for the battery, Ecotec engine, fuse box, throttle, brake fluid, radiator and reservoir cover. All are made from 100% high-temperature, hand-laid carbon fiber for exceptional strength and durability.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Bodykits Etc.

BodyKits Etc. brings innovation to the show scene through its aftermarket products that offer unique style and unsurpassed design quality. Show-quality looking carbon fiber body components are available with many hood applications, as well as carbon fiber splitters offered with stabilizers, to help your car stand out from the rest.

JIC Magic Strut Tower Bar

The JIC strut tower brace bar reduces the amount of flex in a car's chassis by tying the shock towers together to enhance rigidity and strength, as well as improve the steering response. It is available in three different shapes of bar (base on your car' design): lightweight, D-shaped, carbon-fiber-wrapped aluminum shaft; lightweight, oval-shaped, carbon-fiber-wrapped aluminum shaft; or super-lightweight, round, carbon fiber shaft.

RE-Works

RE-Works Carbon Fiber Fenders are direct factory steel replacement wrapped in real carbon fiber. This allows the carbon fiber fenders to maintain their shape and fit to your vehicle's factory standards.

APC Drift Works

Part of the attraction toward drifting is the aggresive automotive styling, so Drift Works designers and Team Orange put together one of the hottest styling packages found on a street or track today. Carbon fiber hoods, widened front fenders and rear quarter panels, plus front bumper covers, side skirts and rear valences, make these Drift Works parts quite a package. Finally, its possible to get authentic drift-styling products by Drift Works.

APC Titanium Fiber Hoods

APC takes fiber composite hoods to a whole new level with its new Titanium Fiber Hoods, which have small strands of pure titanium woven in the same method asd carbon fber to produce a unique, metallic-looking fiber hood. APC Titanium Fiber Hoods come in a raw titanium color and are direct replacements fo OE steel hoods.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Rotora 3-D Grand Tourismo Wing

Rotora's ultra-lightweight 3-D GT Wings are directly inspired from Formula 1 craftsmanship. Manufactured using a groundbreaking dry carbon process, carbon fiber layers are compressed under high temperatures and pressures to retain the "fluid" form, while offering rigidity, flexability and a huge gain in weight savings. Constructed with pure, 3k carbon fiber; 1x2 twill and completely hollow inside, these universal carbon wings prove to be more efficient and lightweight compared to standard wet-laid carbon fiber wings. Wavelike appearance, the 3-D GT spoiler captures airflow over the vehicle and channels te air o ensure equal distribution of downforce, while still maintaining high-speed stability and reducing the coeffecient of drag. the amount of downforce is easily controlled with three adjustable angles on the rudders and the joint area.

Stillen 350Z and G35 Coupe Hoods

While these hoods are designed to accomodate the 50-state-legal Twin-Screw Eaton-style superchargers, they have also become quite popular by themselves. Stillen's in-house styling studio spent months developing mildly aggresive designs that are instantly recogizable s high-performance, giving onlookers cause for concern. Each design is available in high-gloss carbon fiber; stock hareware and factory mounting points are used for installation, makin these hoods very easy to install. Whether supercharged or not, these hoods scream performance.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to give you guys an idea of some quality CF parts out there

These are just a few of the quality CF parts manufacturers out there. Keep in mind that this article was written in 2004 & I'm sure that there are some reputable companies in business since then. Carbon fiber use by enthusiasts has picked up dramatically over the last few years.

You will notice that I've included phone #s & links to these companies, although we usually frown on this. I did this to give everyone an opportunity to contact these companies for CF parts & indicate to them we (the GenCoupe crowd) are interested in CF parts for our cars & would like for them to become a vendor on this forum. I personally will be contacting just about every one of these companies next week to try to gain vendors. It's not that I believe that our current vendors will not have some CF parts available, but rather I think they will be focusing on go-fast parts. I also want very high-quality CF parts processed the correct way to hold up & save the most weight.

Thanks for reading...

Until the next carbon fiber adventure.
Tufast

·
Registered
66 Posts
nice little CF writeup there tru... I had a CF driveshaft and trust me one of the best and scariest buys I ever bought for my Supra back in the day. I honestly couldn't believe it could handle the power plus the CF driveshaft with just installing that made another 10 hp due to less rotational mass. pretty impressive stuff but you'll loose an arm and a leg for it

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice little CF writeup there tru... I had a CF driveshaft and trust me one of the best and scariest buys I ever bought for my Supra back in the day. I honestly couldn't believe it could handle the power plus the CF driveshaft with just installing that made another 10 hp due to less rotational mass. pretty impressive stuff but you'll loose an arm and a leg for it
I just gotta figure out which limbs I'm willing to do w/o....LoL

By the way guys, I've started contacting companies that I'd like to come join us as vendors & removing the links. Some others I didn't feel were really up our alley so to speak, so just removed link w/o contacting them. There are a lot left I'm looking into, but will be removing soon. So, if you see a company you like & think would make a good vendor, contact them. Because, the more of us that contact them, the better the chance we will get them to join up.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Alright, I've contacted all the above companies that I could get in touch with using the dated info that I had available from the magazine article, which was only 2 by email & 2 by phone out of the ones I was interested in. Thankfully, I was able to get in touch with ACTP Composite Driveshafts by phone, as they are the one that I'm most interested in. They seem to know what they're doing regarding CF driveshafts, which is far & few between. Not sure if I can get them to become a vendor, but hopefully I can at least get them to produce a drive shaft for the vehicle as this is one mod I really want to do.

I've removed all the links as not to compete with the vendors on the site, but if anyone wants to try to contact any of the above CF manufacturers or retailers, just pm me & I'll give you the info that I have available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Road Race Motorpsorts made a Splitter. It is on the SPOCOM car and now on the cover of DSPORT. Anyone see that? It does not seem to be for sale though. Carbontrix is the name for RRM's :groupbow::groupbow: carbon fiber line of stuff they do. Pretty sweet. I have seen it on car like AMS EvO and NORRIS DESIGNS Evo

·
Registered
BMW
1 Posts
AutoTecknic was established in 2000 during the initial peak of the aftermarket industry. It has since become one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of carbon fiber parts and accessories for all makes and models. Whether for performance or cosmetic changes to your vehicle, AutoTecknic has built its’ well-known reputation with a base of aftermarket enthusiasts worldwide because of its dedication to providing superb quality and optimal performance parts. Our vision of the company is constant innovation and never-ending progression.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts