Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of ya'll know, I'm interested in weight reduction, as much as, go-fast parts. With that said, I can tell you what parts will probably be replaced w/CF. I was just curious who else would be installing light weight parts & what they would consist of.

Exterior - CF functional hood, functional splitters, grilles, deck lid, spoiler, functional rear diffuser. rockers w/functional brake coolers.

Interior - I don't see CF saving much weight over plastics, so will probably not change anything (just paint it).

Drivetrain - CF driveshaft.

Engine compartment - I don't see CF saving much weight over plastics, so will probably not change anything

P.S. Once I get my scanner, I will copy & down load a detailed article on carbon fibre, including: forming processes, suggested manufacturers of quality parts, carbon fibre vs other materials (i.e steel, fiberglass, etc). This article has been a huge asset for me & I believe some of you may find it useful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I wanna get the weight down as much as possible without removing interior parts. I'd like a lightweight race car but I also want my interior door skins lol Im a HUGE fan of the Carbon R34 in GT4 so, when made available, Id like to get carbon fiber: hood, trunk, doors, fenders, diffusers, and roof. lol
By the time all thats available, my girlfriend will have her elantra paid off and Ill drive that around the majority of the time because if someone hits my carbon coupe....ill cry :(

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have carbon fiber interior trim on my BMW dashboard and others spots on my interior. If I were to have a genesis it would be the same.
Was it factory or did you actually change it?

Besides, I wouldn't worry about changing the factory interior trim in the GenCoupe if it wasn't that butt ugly silver. I still might just paint it too save.

·
Registered
220 Posts
CF ftw. the damn thing weights 3380lbs... anything to save on weight is good with me. however, what I'm not sure about is say you replace the stock hood with a CF hood. how much weight savings is that? 10lbs? 30lbs? 50lbs?? :shrug: im not rich, so these CF upgrades gotta be cost-effective

·
Registered
390 Posts
CF hood and trunk will probably run 1000 bucks easily.

deleting the cats will probably save the same amount of weight.

i bet it won't be too hard to get a track 2.0T down to 3200 and an rspec down to a much more livable 3100... if not 3000 even with some more aggressive weight reduction.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
CF ftw. the damn thing weights 3380lbs... anything to save on weight is good with me. however, what I'm not sure about is say you replace the stock hood with a CF hood. how much weight savings is that? 10lbs? 30lbs? 50lbs?? :shrug: im not rich, so these CF upgrades gotta be cost-effective
I'm like a woman is with her weight when it comes to my GenCoupe's weight, but these upgrades are expensive & in the grand scheme of things, are not cost effective if you were to say spend the same money on power mods.

CF drive shaft? How good would that be on the street? I know why you would want it but how well do you thin it would hold up. I am all up for a carbon hood and trunk
Well if manufactured properly, just fine. That's the biggest thing about CF parts, they have to be done right or their not worth a crap. But, when they are done right, they'll hold up as wel as their steel counterparts.

CF hood and trunk will probably run 1000 bucks easily.

deleting the cats will probably save the same amount of weight.

i bet it won't be too hard to get a track 2.0T down to 3200 and an rspec down to a much more livable 3100... if not 3000 even with some more aggressive weight reduction.
Dry carbon is where real strength & weight savings is. But, as long as wet CF parts are not just an over-lay, they will still have good weight savings & be fairly strong.

I figure about $1800 on a dry functional hood & about $1200 on a dry CF deck lid.

I won't be happy until I can get my car under 3000lbs. I know I can offset the weight by adding more power, but the lighter vehicle will handle better with better response making it easier to toss around.

luckily we dont have bmw badges on the gen coupe :)
+1.....oh, & here's CF hood for my bimmer at EuroDyne

E39 Carbon Fiber Hood
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Direct Fitment for MY 1996-2003
- E39 Carbon Fiber Hood OEM Style
- Constructed with CF Single Layer
- Pre-Drilled Holes
- No Hood Pins Required
- Professional Installation is Suggested
[11.7kg = 25.74lbs weight which equals to a 40lbs weight savings versus an OEM hood]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$800.00 [Shipped]

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dry carbon is where real strength & weight savings is. But, as long as wet CF parts are not just an over-lay, they will still have good weight savings & be fairly strong.

I figure about $1800 on a dry functional hood & about $1200 on a dry CF deck lid.

I won't be happy until I can get my car under 3000lbs. I know I can offset the weight by adding more power, but the lighter vehicle will handle better with better response making it easier to toss around.
that is exactly right. if i can shave 150lbs off the 3300lb weight and not take away from the car's upscale appeal i would be satisfied.

·
Registered
42 Posts
High quality dry CF parts can get extremely expensive, but we are working on our way to produce affordable yet high quality CF parts for Genesis.

We already finished making OEM CF hood at very light weight, we also have few more parts that's under R&D.

So please be hold for our CF parts for Genesis Coupe. :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
High quality dry CF parts can get extremely expensive, but we are working on our way to produce affordable yet high quality CF parts for Genesis.

We already finished making OEM CF hood at very light weight, we also have few more parts that's under R&D.

So please be hold for our CF parts for Genesis Coupe. :)
Why don't you guys request Vendor section and post list of parts your company gonna offer?

I see your post everywhere about new products being develop for GenCoupe and kinda difficult to track.

I am interest in your products.

·
Registered
224 Posts
know this thread is mostly about weigh savings but i just wanted to add in that i would really like to see a company step up with a good CF air box or the car. or even a whole CF intake like the pieces that password JDM makes for the hondas. i think that would add just enough functional class to the engine bay while giving the people that prefer short ram intakes like me a nice option.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Why don't you guys request Vendor section and post list of parts your company gonna offer?

I see your post everywhere about new products being develop for GenCoupe and kinda difficult to track.

I am interest in your products.
+1000

know this thread is mostly about weigh savings but i just wanted to add in that i would really like to see a company step up with a good CF air box or the car. or even a whole CF intake like the pieces that password JDM makes for the hondas. i think that would add just enough functional class to the engine bay while giving the people that prefer short ram intakes like me a nice option.
+1

me too. i want to know stock vs cf weight with these parts, too.
+1....stop talking smack GtMotoring, c'mon & sign up, because you've got me interested too. You guy's seem to have a head start since you've got franchise in Korea, as well as, U.S. That gives you an advantage over other vendors right now. We're waiting....:rolleye:

P.S. Guys, I scanned the articles in that carbon fiber magazine last night, but I am still learning about scanning. So, the wording is not clear enough, unless you click on each pg, then it's too big. So I may scan again tonight at a much higher resolution & see how that does. Anyways point being, I'm fixing to deliver some really good info regarding CF parts, processes, manufacturers, etc. It will be a lot of reading, but good, informative reading.
So, stay tuned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CF drive shaft? How good would that be on the street? I know why you would want it but how well do you thin it would hold up. I am all up for a carbon hood and trunk
just FYI, the 350Z, 370Z and GTR both run carbon driveshafts from the factory for some time now.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just FYI, the 350Z, 370Z and GTR both run carbon driveshafts from the factory for some time now.
I didn't know the Zs came w/CF driveshafts, but I knew about the GTR.

For those that don't know, benefits of a CF drive shaft are 2 fold. What's more important w/a CF driveshaft than just weight savings that you would normally see from a CF body panel, is that it drops rotational mass as well. Therefore, taking less inertia to turn it, resulting in less power loss through the drivetrain. Lightweight wheels have a multiple effect, as do lightweight brakes as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.