Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Detroit show..passed two COUPES!

So, today I went to the Detroit NAIAS to check out the Coupe as well as some other cars I had been wanting to see. They only had the one 3.8 with 6 speed manual in yellow with leather seats, red inserts. The interior really did not match up with the yellow but I guess they have their reasons for doing it that way. The Shifter was smooth and precise. The clutch was fairly light and seemed fairly linear, at least with the car not running. I was pretty impressed overall by it. I thought the best shifter feel at the show was actually the new CHALLENGER!! Better than the Camaro and the ZR1!!! It just seemed real smooth and crisp.

On the way up there, I actually passed two Genesis Coupes. A black one and a silver one, both with dual exhausts. Not finished exhaust, just two round pipes. They had Michigan Manufacturer plates on them. They were somewhat beat up and junky. Obvious test mules of some kind. When I got to the show I talked with the Hyundai people. They said there was no way I passed them as none have been released. When I showed them the pics they just said, yep, thats the coupe. UH, I already told you that. Mostly worthless, they did not even know about the shipment on the west coast and they said March/April release. The one guy thought they should have had a turbo car present to see the layout of the turbo and intercooler. I thought the same thing. No pricing, no brochure. I registered to receive one by email as soon as they are available. So I look forward to that.

I sat in all seats just to get a feel for the room. While not huge, there is enough room for 4, easily if two are kids. With a guy 5'10" in the front and me 5'10" in the back, I could get pretty comfortable. With the front seat to the optimal position for comfort, the rear passenger needs to spread their knees to the outside of the seat edges to have any room. The only problem I found, in the rear seat my head was right on the glass. So for safety, I would not want adults in the rear seat at any time. An accident and the rear occupants head could be right out the back window, literally. A bump and your head would be crunched into the roof also.

Overall car size is really nice. It looks very good in person. Even better than pics. Very sleek and sporty. Plenty of driver room and I was able to set the seat and wheel to a nice position for me. The door panel and door handle were less substantial than I care for, but I do not think they put the money into those items, so I am OK with that.

There was absolutely no interest in the car by passer byes. I assume few knew what it was and even fewer interested in Hyundai in general. The sedan had some interest. It was pretty much me and one other guy for a good 10-15 minutes before any one else even came up and they did not want to get in. They did have the hood up to check out the engine. Few do that at the shows.

I have been to the NAIAS at least 8 other times and this was by far the worst show I have ever seen. In terms of product and displays, attendance and just overall feel of the show. No lines anywhere except the Camaro and Challenger and those were about 4-5 people. The auto industry is really down and this just showed how much. It was eye opening.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good info I was a little concerned about the back seats but if thats you in the back seat at 5 foot 10 inches you look pretty comfortable. Good stuff for me to know. Thanks.

·
The Dude
2,120 Posts
Good info I was a little concerned about the back seats but if thats you in the back seat at 5 foot 10 inches you look pretty comfortable. Good stuff for me to know. Thanks.
Looks like his knees are almost into the frontseat doesn't look that comfy. But I don't think any coupes are to comfy in the backseats. My BMW coupe has more room in the back than that and its not that comfortable either if you are going on a longer trip.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That was not me in the back, but that guy is bigger than me, same height though. This is me in the back with the front guy in his optimal comfort position (seat right in your lap). The side view is with my seat adjusted to where I could stand to ride for a fairly long period of time but was not as comfortable as I could be. Yes, it is tight, for kids it is fine. Again, with the head room in the rear, I would not want to be back there. A rear end collision would have some serious effects to neck and head IMO.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting in and out of the back was fairly easy from the passenger side. The seat had the forward slide with back fold all in one motion. I don't think the driver side did that, but I can't be for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Here are some pics. The guy in the back had to spread his knees around the seat with me in an optimal position in the front.
Dboz thanks for the pics and your review of the car, I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

I thought there was adequate leg room myself. About as good as you'd find in a Mustang. I believe they both have around 30 inches.

Looks like his knees are almost into the frontseat doesn't look that comfy. But I don't think any coupes are to comfy in the backseats. My BMW coupe has more room in the back than that and its not that comfortable either if you are going on a longer trip.
Yeah I think the BMW 3 series coupes has about 3inches more legroom. Ohwell, these are 2+2s, no one should expect great rear legroom in these types of cars. If you want legroom buy the Genesis Sedan.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.