Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a DIY (do it yourself) & therefore I claim no responsibility for injury or damage to your car while doing this mod as this is only a guideline.

Hyundai designed a front bumper IMO that looks just fine. Its the way they trimmed it out that looks like shit. I even like the way the bumper flows with the hood & front fenders to give it a subtle beak look. Now if you do my head lamp upgrade along with the center of the hood/roof paint mod & this front facia upgrade, this car begins to look pretty good from the front perspective. This entire mod; including R&R of bumper gets a 3 out of 5 for difficulty. The labor is not too bad, but there is a little bit of skill or should I at least say creativity needed to fabricate something, even as simple as this.

Tools needed: 10mm & 8mm socket, socket ratchet (impact driver), screwdriver (cordless driver), needle nose pliers (any pliers), large flat head screwdriver, ***** (side cutter pliers), vice (clamp), Dremmel tool (RotoZip), file, assorted sand paper, trim paint

To begin, remove head lamps by taking out two bolts atop of each one & working the head lamp out of position. You may have to remove two plastic phillips screws from lower corners of lamps at the grille to ease the lamps out of their homes.

Disconnect the wiring, then unclip wiring from bottom of head lamp housing using needle nose pliers to push clip together through hole & set aside assembly. After head lamp is removed, take out two 8mm bolts at rear of front bumper where it meets the fender which also holds fender liner/shield in place.

You would normally have to remove 4 phillips plastic push pins similar to the 2 you removed above for the corner of the head lamp to slide past. They would be located under neath the front bumper cover holding the right & left splash shields in place.

Problem is, this design allows for the edge to get caught in grass/dirt etc if you go off road & causes the plastic splash shield to rip out of your plastic bumper. So, I recommend removing the splash shield prior to damaging your car like I did mine. There will be another DIY on this shortly.

Once the 4 little push pins are removed, look for 6 more across the top of the grille holding it against the radiator support. You will need to tug on each opposing side of the bumper cover near the front fenders in order to loosen the bumper cover from the fender. Once the sides are dangling, head around the front where the head lamps were & ease the bumper cover out of its home away from the big plastic retaining clips of the radiator support, you may need to use a large screw driver to gently twist & pry with.

OK, once the bumper is off, find a soft spot (i.e bed) where you can lay it face down & use your cordless phillips driver to remove the 4 screws holding the fake intake vents in place. Then remove the other phillips screws holding the left & right ridged facia pieces in place. You then have to push in the plastic clips from around the facia trim that insert into the bumper cover itself, so that it will release completely. You should now be able to remove the front center trim piece that acts as a grille on the front side of the bumper cover. I did not reinstall this (thick, ugly, weight & a waste IMO). Instead I added some plastic waffle grille left over from my bimmer front bumper build which I trimmed to fit behind the center bottom facia of the GenCoupe as well as right & left fog lamp blankings (which I hope to one day become front brake air ducts). Then remove the grille that is held in by several more phillips screws.

Now to begin on the actually mod. Once the bumper is stripped, take the right & left facias to the work bench. Use a clamping device of some kind to hold the trim in place, Then use a Dremmel or RotoZip (which I chose for this job) to cut out the unwanted material via a grinding tip etc.

Once you have removed a majority of the plastic material, take the piece from the vice to be filed. Have a seat somewhere comfortably outside & file until you have formed the relative even sides of each slat. Use sandpaper to finalize the edges, starting with medium & working to extra fine which I used over the entire surface since I intended to repaint the entire valence on either side. Once final sanding is complete, tack off with tack rag & paint. I chose SEM Landau black, a very clean interior/exterior dye that looks more expensive IMO.
Once both trim pieces are dry, reassemble. I chose to leave out the fake brake ducts & replaced with waffle grille for now. I also left the lower center outer grille off & installed waffle grille behind it as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool stuff. I also like how you painted the lower grill red. Wouldn't let me know where you got the mesh wouldya. Mine sucks!
I didn't paint the lower portion of the bumper, I just removed the outer trim & that is what was beneath. It will vary in color depending on the color of your car. The mesh grilles were left over from my 540i build & are actually designed for M5 front bumper, I just trimmed them to fit this one. I'm just glad I didn't sell them or trash them thinking I would have no use for them. Check out pics of my old car & you will see the same grille material in the lower portion of the bumper with two aluminum brake duct circle vents cut out of it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
365 Posts
I didn't paint the lower portion of the bumper, I just removed the outer trim & that is what was beneath. It will vary in color depending on the color of your car. The mesh grilles were left over from my 540i build & are actually designed for M5 front bumper, I just trimmed them to fit this one. I'm just glad I didn't sell them or trash them thinking I would have no use for them. Check out pics of my old car & you will see the same grille material in the lower portion of the bumper with two aluminum brake duct circle vents cut out of it.
aahhh, where you have those 3 red pieces (in front of the intercooler) mine there the same color as the foglight bezels. I want to paint mine the same color black and put it back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts