Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
retrieved from gencoupe OP hkerekes

"I spent a few hours installing my V1 and remote mount today.

It was fairly easy and all i have left is to figure out a spot / way to mount the remote display.

First open the sun glass holder door and take the two Phillips head screws out from the opening. Then gently pry the whole light assembly out. There are two clips and it comes out really easy. Ignore the other wires hanging down i forgot to take a picture before i started the install

There will be two sets of wires/clips that attach to the light. Unclip each one. The left side controls the lights and the right side controls the sunroof.

Then take off the drivers side visor. There are two Phillips head screws on the mount and one screw on the catch/holder.

Now you can start fishing the wires thru the light opening to the front of the headliner. You will need to thread both of the "phone cords" thru. One is going to the radar detector and the other is going down the pillar, under the dash to wherever you mount the remote display.

You can gently push the headliner down from teh light opening and feed the wires thru carefully.

The pillar comes unclipped fairly easily with your hand. Just enough to snake the wire around

Then there is a rubber molding that you can peel off and slide the wire in the crack.

Now you have to start hard wiring the whole system. V1 supply's you with everything you need.

There is power at the light but its a constant supply, so that will keep the radar detector on and run down your battery. Luckily there is a sunroof that has a switched power source. If you don't have a sunroof the mirror may have a switched source but i don't know since i didn't need to check.

That is the connector for the sunroof motor.

The red wire is the switched power source.

Just use the blue clip they provided and plug it back in.

Now all you need to do is find a good ground. The clip to hold the visor in place gets bolted to the body of the car.

The paint on the body is actually fairly thick but it came off easy.

There also is plenty of room in the headliner for the wiring / connector for the V1 wires. This picture shows everything wired up and all you see is the blue connector going to the sunroof motor.

The rest is just attaching the V1 and mounting the remote display. I didn't try the suction cups above the mirror because i figure that coating will block the radar signal. I don't notice it where it is now while driving anyway."

·
Registered
428 Posts
I installed mine like that shown above but ended up cutting the small wire in two that powers the sunroof. And that wire is only hot when the ignition is on, not in accessory.

I ended up powering the Val 1 from the lighter socket that is hot in run or accessory and there is plenty of room and wire to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Eh.... not really all too impressed as I think it could be better. For location I would have went with this ( MGT Motorsports.com | BlendMount Your Valentine One Radar Detector ) as it would put the detector in a more correct mounting location and not all the way up at the top of the windshield where it actually looks like its pointing upward. Detectors should be in the middle of the windshield about 3/4 of the way up and level for the best performance as it will get behind your vehicle as well.

The piece on the dash looks like straight poo IMO. Seeing wires and 2 sided tape. Not for me.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^I agree, but at least it gave a little insight on trim removal & reinstallation

·
Registered
157 Posts
My V1 appears to work well no matter where on the dash I set her. If she has a view through the front & rear windshields, she"ll pick up better than anything else out there that I'm familiar with.
I have heard that you need to be weary of metalized window tint, something I don't have on my GC.

As far as the aesthetics, I also prefer a clean, wire free install but with a little patience I think Tufast's install can be cleaned up to be quite acceptable.

The mirror mount is the most pleasing though but the mount ($50 - $70) is a bit pricey. Add in the mirror wire kit for another $20 & I could see where Tufast's route can save you a bit of cash for other mods.

I guess it's just a matter of preference. :)

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not my install guys, though thanks for the responses. I retrieved this from gencoupe & the original poster was hkerekes.

I'm not going to knock the guy's work, but I will tell you that I am very anal & pay attention to detail. You would be hard pressed to find any wiring hanging out or a display in an unorthodox location. My car will be show quality when complete & if you want an idea of final product, just take a look at any of our vendors cars & you will see the level of commitment my car will demonstrate.

Besides, I've never owned a radar detector in my entire life & have no intentions on purchasing one now. (I do over 100mph carefully almost every day BTW).

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
The mirror mount is the most pleasing though but the mount ($50 - $70) is a bit pricey. Add in the mirror wire kit for another $20 & I could see where Tufast's route can save you a bit of cash for other mods.
At most that $90 is money well spent (in my opinion) on your BRAND NEW car so it doesnt look like the 17yr old installer down at Leo's Stereo Emporium wired it. lol

The piece in front of the gauges TOTALLY ruins the install for me.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
If you read the original thread then you will see that was a temporary mount job on the part of the original poster.

The mirror mount blocks the view through the windshield. As well as costing $90.
Blocks the view through the windshield? Seriously? Its not a 27" plasma TV. Its a radar detector.

It wouldnt block anymore of your view than if it was suction cupped to the middle of your windshield. You sit down low enough in the car to where you can see the entire windshield with ease if it was attached to the mirror. Or maybe its just I do.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
With the already limited view looking out anything else in the way does block the view. And who wants it hanging there for all to see? Invitation to a breaking unless you dismount it every time.
Limited view? In your opinion I guess, but personally I think the Coupe has great view out of the windshield.

I would want it hanging there if thats what I was using. It looks clean and out of the way. So the gauges, turbo timers, stereo's and all the other odd junk people are putting in the cars is any different?

Done with this thread.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Limited view? In your opinion I guess, but personally I think the Coupe has great view out of the windshield.

I would want it hanging there if thats what I was using. It looks clean and out of the way. So the gauges, turbo timers, stereo's and all the other odd junk people are putting in the cars is any different?

Done with this thread.
It is obvious you are passionate about this. It's almost..... humorous. :jester:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe he lives in a state where obstruction of view doesn't exist? :dunno: I don't know, but i do know that with my valentine hardwired in my previous car i didn't have to worry about silly fines like that or the cop asking me why it didn't tell me he was there...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.