Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not a review like an article review, but what seems like an unbias review from a product tester.
I got this info from cencoupe.com, Galbi actually retreived the info...thanks guys...

Quote:
"This is the car I put 3k miles on(not lowered or with those wheels). That picture was taken at Hyundai's California Proving Grounds. That picture was taken on the VDA pad(a 53 acre asphalt test pad)."

Quote:
"I work there, testing cars. Really, abusing cars. Doing **** to these cars I wouldn't do to my own car."

Quote:
"I tested the 3.8 track model(in auto- not the flappy paddle auto) as the 2.0T was finished testing when I started. I like it, but it needs a bit more tire under it. At the limit it tends to push. It's taunt on the highway(sometimes rough on these poor SoCal freeways- but no where near as bad as the Kia Soul). Steering is weighted but not hard. It has good power and pulls all the way to redline. The auto shifted pretty stiff, not this pansy slipping between gears some transmissions do. All in all, I really liked the car. The 100k mile test schedule was over too quick, imo. I didn't get to play around with the car much as I had to adhear to a strict test schedule, but with the way the car has held up(running 24hrs/day, 5 days/week for 100k miles) I'd look into buying one if I could aford it."

"One of the tests had us driving at 20+mph and driving into "potholes" 4" deep. The factory 19" wheels held up. Even though it sounded as if the suspension was going to be ripped off the car."

Quote:
"I was actually praising the cars wheels. The rubber bands they pur on these 19" wheels don't offer much protection from bumps. And its not like the "potholes" we have are what you'd find on the road. Ours are 4" deep squared holes in concrete with steel lips(for longevity of the concrete). I doubt any modern car with huge wheels and ultra low profile tires would "ride that out in style". We put 40k miles on the car since I started working there(it had 60k when I started) and it never went down for repair. Trust me, I not a Hyundai nutswinger, but after driving this car through the testing procedures I have, I am impressed. This car stood up to abuse I would never put my own car through."

"I have even see the suspension off the car(car was stripped prior to shipping back to Korea). There are a few things I would have done differently, but unless the metal is of a weaker quality, the parts look as good as any of the stuff I've seen come off Toyotas or Hondas."

Quote:
"I'm not unbiased, I actually don't like most of the cars I have to test. But damnit if this Coupe didn't impress me. Stupid ****ing sexy car."

"I was supposed to go work for Honda testing their cars, but they suck so now I'm driving at Hyundai."

here is vid of Hyundai proving grounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76h.../9610-driving-impressions-product-tester.html

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I need to keep this in mind in making a decision. It may be better to go with a smaller wheel setup for winter to allow more sidewall. Of course then that makes brake clearance and issue.

This all goes back to the lack of LSD as an option on all models (need track or R spec and both have brembos with 19" to accomodate the big brakes). I think that is a big mistake and could hurt sales. For performance minded enthusiasts, the LSD is essential.

·
Registered
292 Posts
^^ I agree. the LSD is a must have for me since I will be driving the car in the winter, so that means either the track, or the r-spec for me. I'm thinking a 17" rim should clear the brakes with the right offset and shape, considering the evo 8 & 9 came with similarly sized brembos and 17's stock.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I hope so. I will be using this for winter driving also, unless I decide to keep my 91 Accord for winter use. My wife may move out though, that will be 5 cars for 2 people. Used car lot at my house!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Haha nice, sounds like my buddy Mark. He has a '95 Mitsu Mirage that he converted to RHD and put in a complete EVO3 drivetrain and used all OEM body panels to make it a near factory EVO3, he also has a '92 talon TSI FWD, a '90 talon non turbo, a '98 Eclipse spyder that he converted to AWD, another '95 Mirage coupe that he's putting a turbo 4g63 in, and a '51 Ford pickup. All that is between him and his wife. His wife drives the TSI in the summer, and the non turbo talon in the winter. The rest of the cars are all his. haha

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll also be driving mine in the Winter.

Spare on Track models is 18", so I'd guess 17's will not fit. However if you are RIGHT and they do that would be great ... I'd then be interested again in the Track model because LSD is mandatory in my book for both winter & non-winter driving !! Only question then would be whether the Track Suspension is too rough a ride for 400 miles a week on my 45 year old body.

I'm 99.9% sure 17's will fit over standard brakes (spare is 17" and brakes appear to be identical to 3.8 Sedan which has 17" std.). For Snow's I would want to run nothing wider than a 225, hopefully the same all the way around.

At Discount Tire, I used the 3.8 Sedan to put a package together ... set of 4 225/55-17 Hankook Icebear W300's on the chepest ($90.04) Aluminum wheel they got would be $791.16 delivered plus TPMS sensors ($208 @ tirerack; s/b similar in cost), hopefully under $1k total.

Only concern w/ 225/55-17's is they are taller in dia. than the stock front tires so there could be a rubbing issue.

If 17's actually fit over the Brembo's, then maybe 16's would fit the std. brakes for an even cheaper winter wheel/tire package !!

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Same for me Stang. 40 now and do not want a jarring ride. I will leave that for the 20 somethings. The LSD is a big screw up IMO. I hope there will be a change in plans as this cannot be hard to option out from the factory. Just bolt in a different rear. Should not be a problem. Hopefully Hyundai reads this forum!!!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need to keep this in mind in making a decision. It may be better to go with a smaller wheel setup for winter to allow more sidewall. Of course then that makes brake clearance and issue.

This all goes back to the lack of LSD as an option on all models (need track or R spec and both have brembos with 19" to accomodate the big brakes). I think that is a big mistake and could hurt sales. For performance minded enthusiasts, the LSD is essential.
I'm positive that there are 18" wheels that will clear the Brembos & probably some 17"s if you look hard enough. I don't think 16"s will clear the Brembos IMO.

^^ I agree. the LSD is a must have for me since I will be driving the car in the winter, so that means either the track, or the r-spec for me. I'm thinking a 17" rim should clear the brakes with the right offset and shape, considering the evo 8 & 9 came with similarly sized brembos and 17's stock.
I'll also be driving mine in the Winter.

Spare on Track models is 18", so I'd guess 17's will not fit. However if you are RIGHT and they do that would be great ... I'd then be interested again in the Track model because LSD is mandatory in my book for both winter & non-winter driving !! Only question then would be whether the Track Suspension is too rough a ride for 400 miles a week on my 45 year old body.

I'm 99.9% sure 17's will fit over standard brakes (spare is 17" and brakes appear to be identical to 3.8 Sedan which has 17" std.). For Snow's I would want to run nothing wider than a 225, hopefully the same all the way around.

At Discount Tire, I used the 3.8 Sedan to put a package together ... set of 4 225/55-17 Hankook Icebear W300's on the chepest ($90.04) Aluminum wheel they got would be $791.16 delivered plus TPMS sensors ($208 @ tirerack; s/b similar in cost), hopefully under $1k total.

Only concern w/ 225/55-17's is they are taller in dia. than the stock front tires so there could be a rubbing issue.

If 17's actually fit over the Brembo's, then maybe 16's would fit the std. brakes for an even cheaper winter wheel/tire package !!

Doug
17's will fit over standard brakes & if you look hard enough & find the right offset, I'm pretty sure 16's will fit over the std brakes. But, with size of those fender wells, running 16"s may look odd & take away from the over all appearance of the car. IMO, the 17"s will be cutting it close on the appearance appeal.

Same for me Stang. 40 now and do not want a jarring ride. I will leave that for the 20 somethings. The LSD is a big screw up IMO. I hope there will be a change in plans as this cannot be hard to option out from the factory. Just bolt in a different rear. Should not be a problem. Hopefully Hyundai reads this forum!!!
I'm 39 guys, come on, don't make me feel out of place being the only old man to be driving a ground hugging monster.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I know I'm dredging up an old thread here but there are some good points made in this write up that will answer a lot of questions the folks still trying to decide might like to know. I was pretty sure that this car was good for 100K but it's nice to know its been proven at least once...and under rough conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.