Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Does anyone have any information as to what is/will be available for tuning the 2.0t? Being drive by wire, i'm assuming the aftermarket ECU's may be slightly limited?
THere are flashers becoming available in Korea and will be coming to the states soon. In fact one of our vendors will has posted video and pictures of one. There are also some state side companies interested in flasher/tuners, something will be available..

DBW should not matter either..

·
Registered
155 Posts
we need to get the guys who make the free evo flashing software i use to work on this ecu....

check this.
evo 10 came out in jan of 08 officially in the US
in jan of 09 was the official updated releace of ecu flash to work with evo 10's free of charge just buy the usb cable and ur good to go :groupbow:

also for my generation evo they enabled on the stock ecu
no lift shiting capability
knock warnings
disabling of egr valve and check engine codes from the computer
disabled the rear 02 sensor threw stock ecu so no more cel light for catless people
and made map switching on the stock ecu possible in real time....meaing with the flip of a switch u can switch between 2 tuned maps in ur stock ecu on the go!!!

these guys know there shit!

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
we need to get the guys who make the free evo flashing software i use to work on this ecu....

check this.
evo 10 came out in jan of 08 officially in the US
in jan of 09 was the official updated releace of ecu flash to work with evo 10's free of charge just buy the usb cable and ur good to go :groupbow:

also for my generation evo they enabled on the stock ecu
no lift shiting capability
knock warnings
disabling of egr valve and check engine codes from the computer
disabled the rear 02 sensor threw stock ecu so no more cel light for catless people
and made map switching on the stock ecu possible in real time....meaing with the flip of a switch u can switch between 2 tuned maps in ur stock ecu on the go!!!

these guys know there shit!
Yeah I am familiar with the free flashers that are out there... they are pretty cool things, I love open source type stuff. Now if someone can pull a ROM off of the ecu someone on those sites may be able to write a definition file and load the fuel, ignition, load tables and map them correctly in the software. Actually these cars should be J2534 compliant so eventually the ROMS may become available to download and then you'd only need a compatible J2534 device flash.. ::gears turning::

·
Registered
139 Posts
i dont know if the engine managment is the same between the evo10 and the coupe. our hyundai engineer has some kick butt
software that can alter data and programs it cost hyundai 20k. i asked him if he can modify he said yeah but on hush hush basis.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
i dont know if the engine managment is the same between the evo10 and the coupe. our hyundai engineer has some kick butt
software that can alter data and programs it cost hyundai 20k. i asked him if he can modify he said yeah but on hush hush basis.
Sweet, I can keep a secret....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I am familiar with the free flashers that are out there... they are pretty cool things, I love open source type stuff. Now if someone can pull a ROM off of the ecu someone on those sites may be able to write a definition file and load the fuel, ignition, load tables and map them correctly in the software. Actually these cars should be J2534 compliant so eventually the ROMS may become available to download and then you'd only need a compatible J2534 device flash.. ::gears turning::
see u where going in a good direction with people uncoding the timing fuel , variable valve table and so on. thats whats we want.

then u went straight into mail in downloadable tunes.....and sweet lawd do those suck!! dont do it!

as a guy that self tunes his own shit i can tell u that shit is bogus and dont ever use someone elses tune!!.

hell ask jrod him and his shop and buschur should know damn well its bogus thats y they dont do it for evo's even though they could if they wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
see u where going in a good direction with people uncoding the timing fuel , variable valve table and so on. thats whats we want.

then u went straight into mail in downloadable tunes.....and sweet lawd do those suck!! dont do it!

as a guy that self tunes his own shit i can tell u that shit is bogus and dont ever use someone elses tune!!.

hell ask jrod him and his shop and buschur should know damn well its bogus thats y they dont do it for evo's even though they could if they wanted.
Oh yeah no kidding.. I've seen the "This tune is for a CAI, Intake, Exhaust, should run fine for ~20psi of boost" threads and of course it doesn't work for crap on anyone elses car.. but what I do like is being able to see what changes people have made and where they ahve made the change, to AID in making my own tunes...

Here are some other variables I would like to see:

Boost control (WGA) values
Short term/Long term fuel trims
Injector duty cycles

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh yeah no kidding.. I've seen the "This tune is for a CAI, Intake, Exhaust, should run fine for ~20psi of boost" threads and of course it doesn't work for crap on anyone elses car.. but what I do like is being able to see what changes people have made and where they ahve made the change, to AID in making my own tunes...

Here are some other variables I would like to see:

Boost control (WGA) values
Short term/Long term fuel trims
Injector duty cycles

lol hell ya !!

but yea the boost wga values should be unlocked in the flash program

as for the short/long term fuel trims, and injector duty cycles should be read threw the logging program.

but for real when i first started to learn to tune and started messing with my own car..i used to always look at others tunes and see what they did to aid me with mine and trying to understand what they did.

but for real as long as u follow the logging and the thoeries you will be fine i know its scary at first.

some simple rules to follow:
-WOT afr on 91-93 11.0:1-11.3:1
-timing goes up as boost goes down.......
-keep tune to 0-2 counts of random knock
-once knock starts to be consistant check with afr if thats fine then check timing and try and lower it or smooth out the numbers in the cells.
-dont always go full advance on variable valve timing- there is a sweet spot which can improve the hell outta spool and create more tq

also start to tune in this order
set boost
handle fuel
then timing
then vvt

once u start getting into bigger injectors then toss dialing them in on top of the list.

most applications follow this format

as long as u respect what ur logs spit out and keep ur afr and timing within there perameters u can fuck with valve timing and boost all day until u find what works best for your car.

the hardest part about starting to self tune is to get over your own fear that your gonna mess something up. because if you go in thinking that your gonna over think and maybe mess something up that you overlooked.

i am excited for the future tuning of this car

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
I'm not even going to try to learn to tune my ride, because I have no intention of doing so. If I do take the time to learn, it will just be because I want a better understanding of what's being done to my vehicle. There's just some things I would rather a professional do & tuning is one of them. I can R&R parts all day long, no matter what I have to disassemble to get it done. I can diagnose problems pretty competently as well. But, no home tuning.,...although I am interested to see what you guys accomplish, so feel free to display what ever you do on this forum...

·
Registered
155 Posts
ahaha for sure man i totally understand that answer.....self tuning add another big learning curve and then a whole other big dimension to diagnosing y yout car is doing what its doing lol.

but when u do get ur genesis tuned make sure its by a good shop. like buschur.

hell if the programs are free and easy to use like the evo, i might do road tuning locally on the side or weekends to keep me busy if my i have free time in between my real estate. so far ive just tuned a few of my friends evo and did some e85 tunes for people. probably about 15-16 people total

but there was one customer that just bugged the shit outta me.....and im down to let everyone know what im doing to there car and show them how to tune and what means what. but this philipino guy like kept buggin the crap outta me!!! and saying he thinks something was wrong with his car!! when there wasnt........and what happend was this guy installed his own cams and let the exhaust cam gear skip 1 tooth and still told me to tune his car LIKE WTF!!! no wonder ur car have fuckin probs. so i just put him back to stock and told him to tune his own shit!

costumers like that would fuckin ruin my day if i owned my own shop. and i know everyone gets them all the time!! so imma just stick to my friends and there friends lol

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
OH yeah I've heard the horror stories.. I think any smart shop will have their customers sign disclaimers that in the event of an engine failure, they will not come back to the shop to blame them. They understand that modifying the engine can be a risky thing to do. I don't mind giving people tips but dont cry to me if you blow your own stuff up.. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm hoping the ECUs for the Gen will be similar to the EvoX. Local shops are seeing as much as a 30% increase in HP and torque in ECU tuning alone. The stock EvoXs are running pig rich from the factory (9.0 afr) and just leaning it out a little bit (11.0 afr) is enough to gain a significant amount of power.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm hoping the ECUs for the Gen will be similar to the EvoX. Local shops are seeing as much as a 30% increase in HP and torque in ECU tuning alone. The stock EvoXs are running pig rich from the factory (9.0 afr) and just leaning it out a little bit (11.0 afr) is enough to gain a significant amount of power.
ya thats true man but then again hyundai has to go lean somewhere to get that 30mpg business.

but we shall see im very excited for this car and so far at every turn i though it would disapoint but this beast just gets better and better...... :jester:

·
Registered
292 Posts
They probably just leaned it out for cruising. The afr's I listed for the Evo are at WOT. I'm sure the 2.0t will be pretty rich from the factory too. Manufacturers usually set turbo cars to run rich at WOT so that there's less chance of detonation and your motor deciding it doesn't want to be assembled anymore.

·
Registered
155 Posts
They probably just leaned it out for cruising. The afr's I listed for the Evo are at WOT. I'm sure the 2.0t will be pretty rich from the factory too. Manufacturers usually set turbo cars to run rich at WOT so that there's less chance of detonation and your motor deciding it doesn't want to be assembled anymore.
hell ya that is the truth!!!!

also because of the low ass boost there is gonna be alot of timing thrown in there to so when people start to turn up the boost make sure to keep that monitored because high boost and high timing on low octane = mucho knock

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
ya thats true man but then again hyundai has to go lean somewhere to get that 30mpg business.

but we shall see im very excited for this car and so far at every turn i though it would disapoint but this beast just gets better and better...... :jester:
+1......only 2 areas I'm dis-satisfied with 1) 2 bolt main 2.0t & 2) alllowable transaxle torque #s

+1........

hell ya that is the truth!!!!

also because of the low ass boost there is gonna be alot of timing thrown in there to so when people start to turn up the boost make sure to keep that monitored because high boost and high timing on low octane = mucho knock
+1......

good points...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
In an attempt to get back on track here...I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that are familiar with how to tune, myself included. I am more interested in the tangible information that some may have regarding ECU's that may be available or other tuning options aside from flashing?

Is there any info as to what stand-alone ECU's may be available?

Any issues expected with the DBW throttle?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.