Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I copied this from McFly's post on genesiscoupe.com & wanted to say thanks to McFly for his insight.

For those going 2.0t w/high boost, 400+whp, gearing change will be needed, solution here

It's quite simple actually. But before we get to that. Here's how our gearing stacks up V6 vs. 2.0t:

V6 Gen Coupe, Long geariong for fuel economy, although good for boost
2.0t Gen Coupe, Short gearing to compensate for the lack of power, although bad for boost [at 400whp and above].

Now, here's how simple the solution is:

Swap out your rear end mechanicals (the part between the rear axle half shafts that attaches to the drive shaft coming from the tranmission) with the rear end mechanicals with a V6 owner (that may not be planing to going boost).

Benefits will go both ways:
The I4t will be able to run at 400whp without having to switch gears every few seconds, only to find another gear that has also run out. This will also allow you to put traction down and not just spin every time you get into full boost. It's a 3.54 Final drive rather than the 3.9 final drive. This will put you at an advantage.

The V6 will get better gearing, so that he can top out his 4th gear at the track instead of lazying through in 4th, and you will hit 0-60 in two gears at maximum RPMs as well instead of being halfway through your 2nd gear. It's a 3.9 Final drive rather than the 3.538 final drive. This will put YOU at an advantage.

Disclaimer: It has not been studied to find out whether the two will simply swap out, nice and easily. They probably will though. Nor, has it been found whether both rear ends have been made just as strong enough as the other. Can the rear end made for 220hp handle about 300whp, (about 360hp at the flywheel)??? Unknown. Can the rear end made for 220hp hand about 400whp (about 470hp at the flywheel)??? Also, unkown. Likely, it is only a simple final drive gear and pinion gear change. I can't see that it would be any different otherwise.

Also, the hmaservice.com diagrams and parts list don't seem to be any different.

As an option you can also simply change out the final drive of your own rear end, and go to whatever gear ratio you want. Here's more information on gearing, how a final drive change will be a great mod for a V6, examples of how it effects your top speed per gear, diagrams of the parts involved, parts lists, etc:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
With the manual trannies I think this will be fine to do. I do not think it will work too well with the ZF as it may confuse the computer. I can say that for my muscle cars, the higher the rear end numerically, the better off the line (traction becomes a problem) and you will be running much higher RPM's on the highway which will hurt MPG.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the manual trannies I think this will be fine to do. I do not think it will work too well with the ZF as it may confuse the computer. I can say that for my muscle cars, the higher the rear end numerically, the better off the line (traction becomes a problem) and you will be running much higher RPM's on the highway which will hurt MPG.
Yeah, I think you're right about the TCM kicking up a fuss.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
42 Posts
We should be able to offer the oem gear ratios. We'll be looking into it. We have manufactured 4.44 gears for the s2000 for the past 5 years. We have a great working relationship with the oem supplier of gears for Honda and many asian car manufacturers. I'll chime in later on this once i have more details. I suspect we should be able to get an oem spec 3.9 or any ratios with no issue. Worst case we can have the factory re-engineer and heat treat it from our own production run if demand is there.

The housing should be the same, just the ring and pinion gears have to be swapped together. I'll try and confirm all this durring this week.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
We should be able to offer the oem gear ratios. We'll be looking into it. We have manufactured 4.44 gears for the s2000 for the past 5 years. We have a great working relationship with the oem supplier of gears for Honda and many asian car manufacturers. I'll chime in later on this once i have more details. I suspect we should be able to get an oem spec 3.9 or any ratios with no issue. Worst case we can have the factory re-engineer and heat treat it from our own production run if demand is there.

The housing should be the same, just the ring and pinion gears have to be swapped together. I'll try and confirm all this durring this week.
Good news for those wanting to do a gear swap... probably won't be my first mod but it will make sense for some...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jae and I here were talking about swapping gears on this car from day one, so we've had this topic in the back of our minds for quite some time. The other benefit to the 3.9 will be the gear strength for higher HP cars. We're going to look into other differential parts that may be short comings. Rear diff temps may be a little high on track possibly. The fluid volume looks like it may be on the small side. We'll keep an eye on it though durring testing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.