Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Gettin My Learn On.

13K views 107 replies 23 participants last post by  Tufast 
#1 ·
Well guys/gals, I've spent the last several days learning as much as I can about Time Trial racing through NASA (Natl Auto Sport Assoc) on advice given to me by Jason@MODE & thanks BTW.

I introduced myself in the HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) forum & then began searching all the threads soaking up as much info as possible. I've read the rules, classifications & most of the threads for nOOb questions. What I do know is that I will not be doing much, if any mods initially to my car until I learn how to drive it correctly on a race track. NASA has a schooling program set up to do just that & it consists of 4 levels, HPDE 1-4 prior to being OKd for actual race events.

I will continue to purchase all the parts I have planned to mod on my car as I have been doing; when a good deal approaches, but may hold off on installing said parts until I'm ready as a driver for the additional improvements. I will however do my fluid swaps, brake & tranny upgrades right off, because those weak ass brake pads, crappy shifter & WTF clutch have gotta go. Don't get me started on the grinding M/T issues.

I have also decided to enroll in some additional driving schools (i.e Barber) to get better quicker once I have the basics down. So, I guess this thread is for those that are interested in following my experience in road racing. I will hopefully be able to film each session showing how weak my skillz are at present using the Hero cameras I picked up from Mike (thanks BTW) & how I improve as time passes.

See less See more
Reactions: dic51
#4 ·
That would be awesome, I can use all the help I can get. You happen to be one of my inspirations for going ahead & doing this.

#8 ·
Thanks guys/gals for all your support. :bow:

I will be doing this the right way & if that means I have to leave my car slow for a while - so be it.:cry:

Sucks that my DD will have more power than my race car. LoL :rolleye:

I will be updating this thread as time progresses & things change regarding my racing "career", if you can call it that. :jump:

I will start a seperate thread with my build progress & that thread will have links to each of my individual DIY threads showing how to do all the mods I will do on my car, including pics & vids when deemed necessary.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm hoping that this will give others the opportunity to understand what it will take to get into tracking your car (even if not interested in racing).

#10 ·
Thanks..... I'm thinking the between the racing & the DIY mods, there should be plenty of new info popping up on here.

I personally can't wait to get my car....:rolleye: C'mon house. :jump:

Anyways, I've decided the 1st write up on racing will cover getting prepaired, both me & the car.
I will give details on what paper work needs to be filled out, what medical issues have to be covered, insurance for your car, what gear needs to be purchased & how to prep your car for your 1st event.

#12 · (Edited)
Alright people, I've signed up for my 1st NASA NPDE driving event:

HPDE 1-4, Time Trials, 944Spec, American Iron/CMC, SpecE30, SpecMiata, Honda Challenge, GTS, Performance Touring, Thunder and Lightning Sprint races

Camden, SC

#13 · (Edited)
Gettin ready for this weekend & praying the weather isn't too bad. Got my tow hooks, fire suit, & helmet.
I will make a list of everything that I'm taking that would be recommended on track day for others that are interested, but 1st some pics:

Removable masking tape
Car wax
Glass cleaner
Paper towels
Shoe polish applicator
Quart of oil
Rags
Upgraded brake pads & fluid
Tools
Tire gauge
Floor jack
Jack stands
Case of water
Cooler
Ice
Sunblock/sun lotion
Change of clothes
Snacks
Tarp
Canopy
Folding chairs
Cameras

#17 ·
You'll do fine, TuFast. I haz faithhhh!!!

#21 ·
Thanks guys, I'm sooo excited. I purchased supplemental HPDE track insurance, so I don't have to hold back any. I will beat the shit out of the tires & brakes.

#22 ·
Just checked the weather for ya. Looks like the ride to the track is gonna suck. Rain/snow all day but Saturday is partly cloudy with a low/hi of 28/47 and Sunday is mostly sunny 37/54. So, in summation, be careful on your trek there but you're track days are looking fair. Have fun and be careful but not to careful...haha

:shifting:

#23 ·
Talked to Tufast last night and he beat the storm to SC. He said it started to snow just as he arrived at the hotel. I imagine he will keep us posted on his first day at the track but if he doesn't have the time I imagine I will talk to him tonight and I'll post any highlights worth discussing.

#25 ·
Will do. No plans beyond swinging by Starbucks after work and probably going to spend the evening with the fiance. I am planning on going to the meet next weekend assuming Tufast still intends on having it.

#27 · (Edited)
OMG what a blast....Frickin AWESOME & I learned soooo much. Recommend to everyone to at least attend the 1st weekend HPDE1 & 1st one is free in southeast anyways.

First off I want to say I'm sorry, but I sucked with the Hero cameras. I was only going to run one of them mounted to the inside of the front windshield in order to be able to pic up good audio from my instructor to learn from. First couple of times out on the track on the1st day, I forgot to turn the GoPro on. It was from me being too excited & trying to swallow the enormous amount of information. We (HPDE1) missed our 1 assigned track time out due to snow still on track. We were allowing the sun to come up & thaw it a little so we could run the track in trucks & 4x4s to get the snow turned into slush which ran off & evaporated much more quickly. The last time out on Saturday, I pressed camera function taking a pic instead of video & it wasn't even that good of a pic. Sunday I didn't do much better taking a triple pic the 1st time out, not getting anything the next time, forgetting to turn the camer on, followed by a single pic of me looking into the lens on the last one. Maybe next time I will mount a camera on the outside & one in the inside, so each time I go out on the track, I at least will improve my odds of getting some kind of video.

To really understand this car & what needs improvement, this type of driving has to be done... at least once IMO. I also believe this should be required before they give anyone a license anywhere. I now know the limits of my car & my abilities. I also know what has to be done to improve both. I can say that I am proud of how this car performed this past weekend & it got alot of attention. I ran with all different types of cars in HPDE1, but all the drivers were either on their 1st or 2nd time out. The closest car to my car's handling & power characteristics was stock RX8. There were 3 gray ones there hanging out near me, one of which was driven by a guy his 1st time in with similar skill to me. I ended up behind him in one of the 20min sessions & loved it. I stayed on him for 5 laps with him neither losing me or I catching him. I gradually caught up on the last lap & he gave me a point by right before the checker flag (which stands for cool down lap for us learners).

It was too cold (below freezing) to run race tires & race pads, so I left my Frixa street pads the whole time & OMG those muthafuckers kick some serious butt. My car stopped on a dime & it allowed me stop way later than most out there in HPDE1. I realize that some of this is also attributed to the other brake mods I have done. BTW, can't wait to get my brake ducts incorporated into the front bumper. Hopefully by the time I need new rotors, there will be an aftermaket offering I'm comfortable with.

Anyways, getting tired so will leave you with some pics of some of the cars participating this past weekend. Some were in the HPDE 1-4, others in Time Trials & some in wheel to wheel racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.