Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a brand new 2012 genesis sedan 3.8, and have a fairly strong raw gas odor in the cabin at idle, all the time. The car has 275 miles on it. I called the dealer and was told that the odor will go away shortly. I think there has been posts on this somewhere, but I haven't been to successful trying to find it. So I just joined here today, maybe someone has a answer. PROBLEM IS, we have to take a short trip later today, 400 mile round trip, and wondering whether or not we will catch on fire today!
Dave

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Dave, doubt it will catch fire, but i would definately take it to the dealer for inspection just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE GASOLINE ODOR

Well brought the car to the dealer and was told that there was cosmoline on the engine and that was the odor. WTF? I was in the military and no way does cosmoline smell like gas. I guess this will get get a little nasty ... anyway what a nice way to get to know a new car... Also dealer says smell will go away by 1000 miles.
Dave

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
I believe what they (the dealership) is referring to is the exhaust odor having to burn off from converters etc.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I got this too for a little while when I upgraded my cat on the car it would do it every once and a while till I got about a 1000 miles on it or so I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a brand new 2012 genesis sedan 3.8, and have a fairly strong raw gas odor in the cabin at idle, all the time. The car has 275 miles on it. I called the dealer and was told that the odor will go away shortly. I think there has been posts on this somewhere, but I haven't been to successful trying to find it. So I just joined here today, maybe someone has a answer. PROBLEM IS, we have to take a short trip later today, 400 mile round trip, and wondering whether or not we will catch on fire today!
Dave
I have a 2012 R spec and am having the same fuel smell issue. I've found on another Genesis forum this seems to be a common problem. I am asking all Genesis owners to Call Hyundai Customer Service 800-633-5151 and open a case. They sent a field engineer to inspect my car and could not determine the cause (so they say). If you still have the issue, let's band together to get something done. The smell from my vehicle is very strong and overwhelming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2219 genesis 5 g90 suddenly did smell strong gasoline odor inside the cabin. I took it to the dealer and they said they ordered a new battery because they suspected that probably that was the cause.
I think this issue has to be addressed to the company. Could some cares be LEMONS?
Vittorio Cavina from Victorville California

1 - 8 of 8 Posts