Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of mis-information on which and what type of Limited Slip Differential (LSD) unit that comes on the Track packages of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I'll try to explain as simply as possible which lSD the Genesis Coupe has and why it uses this type of system versus others.

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe has a Torsen (this is the manufacture name) Limited Slip Differential. Torsen typically uses helical gears in their LSDs rather than clutches. They have a very smooth engagement (you usually do not know they are even working) and work great with the Electronic Control systems found on many cars today. They are also very low maintenance for a LSD as there are no wearing parts. It is one of the reasons that many OEMs use this type of system (GM, Ford, Audi, Mitsubishi, etc).

So in the Torsen LSDs, the job of these helical gears is to basically transfer torque or power, either to both drive wheels at the same time or a Ratio (Bias) of power to the drive wheels. Some other generic names that these types of LSD can go by is a "Torque Sensing" or "Torque Biasing". In a nutshell, Torsen LSDs can "detect" when one wheel loses traction over the other and transfers this power automatically (or as I like to say, "AutoMAGICALLY!"). This is important for when you go around corners and one wheel needs to spin faster than the other. You want most of the power going to the outside drive wheel.. When used with the Electronic Traction Control or Electronic Stability Control found on many cars a Torsen unit can aid in getting out of bad driving conditions like in sand, dirt, gravel, snow and even on ice. Another benefit of these units is that you can in a sense "lock" both drive wheels for optimal traction. Great for drag racing in a straight line!

Keep in mind that because of the varying ratios of torque transfer that these units emply they are not called 1 way or 1.5 way or 2-way LSDs. You'll usually find these designations on aftermarket LSD units (Kaaz is one that gets thrown around a lot) that employ a different type of LSD system, usually clutch packs. They are higher maintenance items compared to Torsen units as the clutch packs can wear out and you often have to use a special friction enhanced differential fluid. The Torsen units have no problem running on regular dino gear lube.

So for the Genesis Coupe, Torsen units are great choices for most people. They have smooth low noise operation and they are low maintenance. They will plant power down to the ground and let you light up both tires when you feel like turning off the traction control and showing off to your friends.

Well that's it for now and hopefully this clear up some things on the type of LSD the Genesis Coupe uses. I posted some example pictures below.

Example of Helical Gears that I was talking about:

and a complete view of some different Torsen units with Helical gears:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sabbasaun ... :groupbow:

So the more common and much less expencive Clutch Plate type (like a Ford Traction Lok) is considered a 1.5 way or a 2 way ??

Just trying to embrace this new 1-way, 1.5-way, and 2-way lingo !!

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sabbasaun ... :groupbow:

So the more common and much less expencive Clutch Plate type (like a Ford Traction Lok) is considered a 1.5 way or a 2 way ??

Just trying to embrace this new 1-way, 1.5-way, and 2-way lingo !!

Doug
The Ford Trac-Lock to me is more of a very weak 1.5 LSD. The way the Ford LSD units mainly works is by "sensing" torque on acceleration. The more power you put down the more load gets placed on the clutches and the tighter they get. Normally the trac-locks have a little bit of pre-load on them. So every day driving and even on deacceleration the unit will stay partially engaged.. However it takes very little to break the friction on the clutch-packs on these units, in my Ford you could break the clutch-pack with as little as ~100 ft/lb of torque when no load was being transmitted to the LSD. That's why I would say they are a weak 1.5. However this is what gives the Track-lock LSDs very predictable driving characteristics.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
143 Posts
excellent write up!! does anyone know what companies are supplying LSDs for the genesis coupe? i looked at the kaaz website and could only find one for the tiberon?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aftermarket LSD

Question from a new member:

I just bought a Genesis Coupe 3.8 manual "base" model, and after driving it for 2 days I wish I had bought the track model.

My question is: can the Torsen or other LSD be purchased and installed "aftermarket", and if so about how much should I expect it to cost?

Thanks.

·
Registered
390 Posts
right now you're lookin at a couple grand. roughly 2/3 the cost of the track model price difference.

this is why i urge people to buy track models, the value is insane.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Question from a new member:

I just bought a Genesis Coupe 3.8 manual "base" model, and after driving it for 2 days I wish I had bought the track model.

My question is: can the Torsen or other LSD be purchased and installed "aftermarket", and if so about how much should I expect it to cost?

Thanks.
The stock diff would cost quite a bit, but it's probably your safest option. However, there are many options coming in the pipeline that will put the stock LSD to shame, expect to pay in the $800-1200 range for those.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
The stock diff would cost quite a bit, but it's probably your safest option. However, there are many options coming in the pipeline that will put the stock LSD to shame, epect to pay in the $800-1200 range for those.
+1...KAAZ & Cusco do have or will have LSDs available. The drawback is they are clutch driven & will have to rebuilt from time to time, esp if racing. But, will perform better, esp when drifting.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Don't forget, if anyone is in NE OHIO, Monzaz has offered to pop the cover and see if there may be a solution to adding or upgrading the LSD. He just needs to get a car to get some measurements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quaife LSD

I emailed Quaife to see if they were planning an LSD for the Gen Coupe. Here is their reply:

Thank you for your enquiry, but unfortunately due to there not being a demand we are not really looking into this unit. If you wish to order a batch of 10 diffs or more then I may be able to sort something out but other than that I can not offer anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
It would seem that there may not be the market out there yet to justify some of the more expensive items. It seems selling simple stuff like exhausts has been slow. Maybe the economy? Maybe no one seriously modding yet other than a few for R&D at shops. Hopefully by next year, the market for parts will grow and there will be more options. There has to be demand in order to get supply.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts