Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Korean vs U.S. Spec

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  FastCoupe 
#1 ·
I've been asked to inform potential buyers that while the Korean market will be getting the Genesis Coupes first (September 26 expected release date), there is good reason for U.S. buyers to be patient. While the cars will look identical there will be key differences in the suspension and possibly even engine specs. I am not allowed to go into details yet but the reason is actually fairly simple. Koreans like to drive their cars differently and are not as "sporty" oriented. So while the upcoming release of the Korean version of the Coupe is coming soon, take any performance data with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to the handling department. The U.S. market car will be different.

What ever the changes will be I can't wait to get my hands on one and take it to the autocross course and drag strip!

#8 ·
Yeah I heard Korea has some strict laws about modifying cars. I heard that it was starting to get more popular to modify and hop up cars there, but it sort of died out after the laws went into effect. Or so this is what my wife reports to me from her trip to Korea. Even then I know there are performance shops out there (New Run is an example). Looking on ebay you can find KDM parts for the Genesis sedan already being sold. Funny, the US market will no doubt sell our version of things to the Koreans. :)

#11 ·
Well, considering Hyundai is a Korean car company, I'd be surprised if they didn't release the car to their domestic market first.
I don't think anyone here is surprised it came out in Korea first, just disappointed because we want the car here so bad. This is understandable as most of the users who will sign up to a Genesis forum, especially one that talks about the Coupe will mostly be the fanatics like me. And while the parent company is Korean based the car was designed here in the US at Hyundai Motor America, USA. Not to mention there would also have been many reasons to bring this car here first, one of the biggest is that the US has about 10 times the market size that Korea has. The car even could have been built here in the US but Union issues prevented that. Oh well,although I want the car badly I'm patient. Plus I'd rather let the Korean's be the guinea pigs for the cars. Hopefully by the time the car comes to us it will have some of the bugs I've been reading about worked out.

#12 ·
Not to mention there would also have been many reasons to bring this car here first, one of the biggest is that the US has about 10 times the market size that Korea has.
I think that's one of the biggest reasons for them to release it in Korea first. Koreans will hold brand loyalty considering it is their home market. They are still working their way up the ladder here in the U.S. so it makes sense to introduce it to a small market and work out whatever issues may come up in the real world and then introduce a nearer to perfect model in the larger market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.