Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Hyundai Planning Overhaul of Model Lineup

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  CrookedH 
#1 ·
Jun 29th, 2010 by Ross Edwards

Hyundai is doing well in America right now. The Korean carmaker’s sales are up 23 percent through May and the company is closing in on Toyota and Honda. Not satisfied with slowly catching up to its Asian rivals Toyota and Honda in sales, Hyundai wants to beat them. To do that, the company plans to overhaul almost all of its model lineup over the next few years, starting with a new luxury sedan.

The new star of Hyundai’s lineup will be the 2011 Equus, a large luxury car that will sell for $55,000 to $60,000 when it goes on sale this fall. At launch, the Equus will be powered by the 366-hp, 4.6-liter V8 found in the Hyundai Genesis, but in the spring, both cars will receive an upgraded engine. The new engine for the 2011 Hyundai Equus and Genesis will be a 5.0-liter direct injection V8 with 429-hp. Like the Genesis, which is designed to be a much lower cost competitor to the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, the Equus will probably be compared to the 7-Series and the S-Class, at least in Hyundai’s advertisements.

Hyundai also plans to redesign the Elantra and Accent, and both will get smaller, more powerful engines, according to Autoweek.

The Hyundai Sonata will be available with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine and will get 32-mpg with 274-hp.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hyundai is doing another 24/7 deal like they did w/ the new Sonata/Gen/Gencoupe/Touscon/Sante Fe/Veracruz/and cant remember the other lol. 7 New models/re designs in 24 months. This set will be the Equus, Accent, Elantra, Velestor, and 3 more not yet released. Should be a fun time to work for Hyundai.

#5 ·
Not until they can get their dealer network to pull their heads out of their asses... and when you sell performance model orientated cars not to be bitches with the power.

#10 ·
Again 2 years ago Hyundai was making, to be completly honest here, throw away cars. Even the Tiburon. I mean you can still buy a 2010 Accent that doesnt come w/ a radio/ac/power windows and locks. To expect a whole Dealer Network to turn into something like a BMW/Merc dealer in ~2 years is a bit over optimistic. It will take a bit more time to bring every Hyundai dealer up to the level of the Genesis Sedan and Coupe. This is why they are only giving the Equus to ~100 dealers iirc Nationwide and even then the dealers will need to build a special show room and have special Techs and Service Writers to deal with the Equus customers, all because they realize that they need to step up above the Accent/Elantra service to entice the customers away from the higher luxury brands.

Btw it is conceviable that you could purchase an Equus and own it for 5 years and never step foot into the dealer.

#11 ·
It is a first run car IMO because the Genesis sedan and coupe are the first time Hyundai ever attempted a RWD platform. It's a whole different animal. Plus the 4.8, 2.0, the 5 speed A/T and 6 speed M/T are all brand new designs. Not to mention the turbo. Even the 3.8 has been redesigned, so to speak, for the the Gen line. That being said, some of the bullsh!t that I hear some of these service departments coming up with to "explain" the problems that owners are having with their car is just that, BS. A customer comes in with a legit problem...fix it. Don't make excuses. If you don't know how to fix it, say so and then figure it out. I haven't had to deal with any of this luckily because my service dept doesn't take any bull and doesn't give any. This is a huge plus.

#13 ·
It is a first run car IMO because the Genesis sedan and coupe are the first time Hyundai ever attempted a RWD platform. It's a whole different animal. Plus the 4.8, 2.0, the 5 speed A/T and 6 speed M/T are all brand new designs. Not to mention the turbo. Even the 3.8 has been redesigned, so to speak, for the the Gen line. That being said, some of the bullsh!t that I hear some of these service departments coming up with to "explain" the problems that owners are having with their car is just that, BS. A customer comes in with a legit problem...fix it. Don't make excuses. If you don't know how to fix it, say so and then figure it out. I haven't had to deal with any of this luckily because my service dept doesn't take any bull and doesn't give any. This is a huge plus.
The 5AT, a5sr1, isn't a new design. It's been used by Kia mated up to a V6 and IIRC, a Hyundai SUV in Europe as well. It's also the only transmission to not have any issues so far.

X2 to the bold... It's the biggest issue I've faced with both of the dealerships in town. The service guys actually asked me what year my GC was when I was trying to order bolts for it though too. The 2011's aren't even out yet and they didn't make the car in 2009 in the US.... I'm not in a small rinky dink town or anything either so the dealerships should be up to snuff, but they're not.

#12 ·
When then get the Genesis Coupe 5.0L I am trading mine in for the upgrade that is for damn sure! LMAO I hope they make one!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.