Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Black ice is a real killer. It happens all the time here in the winter when it gets down around 0*. The pavement gets so cold that it freezes the exhaust vapor and if there's enough traffic it builds up enough to make the roads very slippery. I totaled out a '95 240sx due to some black ice.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Black ice is a real killer. It happens all the time here in the winter when it gets down around 0*. The pavement gets so cold that it freezes the exhaust vapor and if there's enough traffic it builds up enough to make the roads very slippery. I totaled out a '95 240sx due to some black ice.
Yeah, real heavy fog & black ice at 35mph hitting my brakes in my 77' Cutlass Supreme when I was 16yrs old caused me to slide through an intersection, bouncing of a car, hitting a ditch, breaking a telephone pole in 1/2, & if falling on top of my car, crusing the roof in. It was totaled to say the least. This was 3mos after I got my license. Back the 350 V/8 RWD no anti-lock brakes, traction control, or any of that other safety shit, & airbag, what the hell are those?

A friend from my other car forum died due to Black ice recently =(
Sorry the hear that bro. I had my BMWs back end kick out on a corner on the highway when I hit some black ice last year & the traction control kicked in & saved my butt.

That sucks man.. sorry for you loss...

those of us getting these new cars.. let's be sure to be careful.. i dont want to read about no member dying!! THAT'S AN ORDER!!!
+1....I don't know how many times I'm gonna say this, but I never feel it's enough. If you have only driven FWD or AWD cars, you need to get used to RWD B4 you show out. It is a totally different game, I kid you not, esp if traction control is fully defeated. I'm getting old & have to remind myself that some of you younger guys weren't born in 1969 & may not have had only RWD as the choice for your 1st car...

·
Registered
155 Posts
ya i drove to la last night to go to a club and the whole drive there with my falken azenis that have no water shoots in them was slidding alot if it wasnt for awd i probably would have lost it but the evo is easy to control in a slight slide lol i was still driving 90 while everyone else was going 45-50 lol

the only part that scared me was when the 10w turns into the 101N and there is that kinda sharpish right corner alot of people where braking there and u usually never do sense i know the evo can handle it but i had to slam the brakes hard and abs kicked in faster then i expected sense it sensed my tires slipping do to hydro planing from a sudden braking move. it threw me into a drift and i ended up riding the drift up the fast lane from the slow lane i was in it was crazy. i totally scared the girl that was in the car with me......and ya my heart was pounding heart too :-(

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Be careful bam, I wanna keep hearing from ya...LoL The Michilin Pilot Sports I'm running actually do awesome in the rain. I can roll out 80mph w/no problem. But, since my GenCoupe is not going to be my DD, it will get some serious pure perfromance tire & will probably never get driving in rain, snow, or any kind of foul weather.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Be careful bam, I wanna keep hearing from ya...LoL The Michilin Pilot Sports I'm running actually do awesome in the rain. I can roll out 80mph w/no problem. But, since my GenCoupe is not going to be my DD, it will get some serious pure perfromance tire & will probably never get driving in rain, snow, or any kind of foul weather.
ya i know well besides having the stock advans when i bought my evo's these advans are the first "real performance" tire ive had on the evo and they barely got installed about a month ago so im not used to rain driving with them yet lol.......bisides ive totalled 3 cars i think i kinda know what im doing by now lol!!!

but my second tire was the michelin pilot sport cup tires and wow those tires are freakin super all season tires......they still act like a performance tire not letting go even after starting to churp there ass off in a hard corner. and they dont hydro plane for shit ive gone 120mph in the rain with these tires and they acted perfectly. i wouldnt recomment any other all season tires. hell i atill got 2 of them in my garage with 75% tread on them, if they wherent so expensive id buy another 2 and pop them on my car till summer.

also i mad the big mistake of going cheap on my previous set of tires and got raikinin raptors....jesus they should just call those the widow makers! no grip no rain performance no nothing! just a longa ass tire life that wont die!! i had to go to a parking lot with speed bumps and i drifted the shit outta them to throw off my alignment and sweet lord 5 thousand miles later the inner side of the tire finally faded out and i asked my parents to help me out with the falkens. tires are the only thing my dad says hell help me with sense they cost so much :) ....moral of the story dont ever get raptor tires unless u wanna die!........ill explain a lil more on this tire in the korean video review thread.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
ouch... now this rain doesn't seem so bad lol
It's pretty fun having sex in the rain, kinda turn on. So, rain isn't all bad all the time..

wow who the hell goes 120 in the rain.. thats dumb. if you dont care about yourself obviously, care about the others on the road
I have to agree w/Curtis on this one Bam, that's pretty stupid. I've gone upwards of 80mph in the rain on a desolate highway when my Pilot Sports were new just to see how they did. They did well, but I haven't tried that since. I thought about how stupid it was after the fact. It's so easy for something to happen so quick, then it's all over.:(

·
Registered
155 Posts
wow who the hell goes 120 in the rain.. thats dumb. if you dont care about yourself obviously, care about the others on the road
ya i put more thought into it then just the speed factor.
a) awd
b) best all season tires on the market
c) my dad was in the hospital for a heart attack
d) traffic was rediculously light at 2am
e) i was in the car pool lane alone for many many miles
f) it was on the *then* newly built 210 freeway in san bernardino CA so it was in great condition

96% of the time im actually the slowest driver on the road and people hate me for driving slow in an evo lol

also if you wanna judge the freeway for yourself check out the scene in the transformers movie where bonecrusher transforms and cuts that bus in half and starts to chase optimus prime on a freeway.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Good Bam, that makes me feel a little better about it, thanks for the additional info. I already took into account 1&2, but 3-5 help validate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good Bam, that makes me feel a little better about it, thanks for the additional info. I already took into account 1&2, but 3-5 help validate.
ya no prob like no joke my bs-ing rice ass days are over with thats how i totalled my first 2 eclipse and i learned the hard way that a car needt to be respected. it reflects in how i drive and my insurence payments :-(

luckly one of those points already dropped off my dmv record and the other drops in the next to months so im finally gonna have a clean ass record again! hello cheap evo insurence :groupbow:

currently i pay 375 a month along with a 605 car payment .....i got it with no lube i know :-(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.