Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Filed under: Plants/Manufacturing, Nissan, UK

If there were ever a sign of these troubled times in the automobile industry, this is it. The photo you're looking at was taken recently at Nissan Motor Manufacturing (UK) Ltd, the largest car plant in the United Kingdom and the most productive in Europe. Well, it may be productive, but with supply outpacing demand, Nissan has apparently been left with too much stock. The factory's parking lots are overfilled, so they've begun parking cars on the facility's test track. Of course, that means Nissan can't use the track to test new cars, but if nobody's buying them, that ought to be the least of their worries. Click on the image above to view in full.

Growing stocks of unsold cars around the world | Business | guardian.co.uk
Click above to view full photo

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
After attending Detroit today, it really hit me how bad this car market is right now. I came away thinking there are a lot of really nice cars that cost WAY more than I am willing to spend in ANY economy, not just now. I think cars have priced themselves out the market. Too much money for most people to spend.

I personally really like the look of the new AUDI A4 but at 34k for a starting price, no thanks. The VW CC passat was also a very nice car. At least it started at 27k for the turbo. By the time you do much of anything it was over 30k.

New trucks with 50k stickers.

If Hyundai can't get the COUPE 2.0 to below 22-23k I think they may be in trouble.

Seriously, unless there is massive deflation in the car industry, I just do not think they are going to start selling them anytime in the next several years. People are smartening up to spending that kind of money on vehicles. The decade of decadence and prestige buying are over for the average joe IMO. It is now about basic transportation and that probably means buying used or at least be in the sub 25k range.

I see AUDI S8's that are 4-5 years old with 50-60k on them selling for 15-16 thousand. That is almost a 60-80k car when new. I think that is a good buy used.

CRAZY times right now. I think there is going to be a blood bath in the auto world. Few will be able to survive. I think the used car market will become very competitive again.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
It may have been dead at SEMA but for a first timer it seemed pretty packed to me. It must suck during a normal year if there are alot more people than that.
Yeah I thought it was busy, but not packed. From what I was hearing there were a lot few vendors than usual. I guess we'll find out next if we decide to go again.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work in automotive industry & have to look at it day in & out, no traffic for sales & not as much for svc. I'm in a auto complex where the owner has 4 dealerships: Chrysler/Jeep, Hyundai, VW, & Honda. For instance, Honda is selling 1/4 the volume they normally do this time of year. People are starving for work. Yet, these dealerships have been known for marking new release vehicles up from MSRP, I hope they are not ignorant enough in these trying times to try that with the GenCoupe. They did it with the Genesis, marked it up an extra 5 grand & didn't sell one for the 1st month until they dropped to a $2k mark up. Hell, one lady went to another dealer in another city, since we're the only one here, & she told them that we had the car she wanted. They dealer traded for it & sold it to her for MSRP. That's all whe wanted, no big discounts, just MSRP. Priced at MSRP, sales still make 5 grand on a Genesis. Something is better than nothing right? As for cars, they can drop the price some if needed. Do you know it only costs about 6 grand to build a Sonata? I know that there is other costs after the build, like transportation, PDI, etc, etc, but still, that's a big difference compared to the price we pay out the door. If all these automanufacturers don't want these cars just collecting dust, they need to cut some ridiculous deal that consumers just can't pass up, otherwise that's exactly what we'll do, pass them up.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Yeah even SEMA was dead compared to previous years. This industry is really hurting. Hyundai has to get the 2.0t base Coupes under $20,000 in my opinion. Actually with the exchange rate the way it is, you can get a base coupe for under $17,000.

Wow, you think they will be that low? I sure hope so. That is a great price. Fully modded (at least for me)and be at less than 25k. Not many cars where you are going to be able to do that.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I work in automotive industry & have to look at it day in & out, no traffic for sales & not as much for svc. I'm in a auto complex where the owner has 4 dealerships: Chrysler/Jeep, Hyundai, VW, & Honda. For instance, Honda is selling 1/4 the volume they normally do this time of year. People are starving for work. Yet, these dealerships have been known for marking new release vehicles up from MSRP, I hope they are not ignorant enough in these trying times to try that with the GenCoupe. They did it with the Genesis, marked it up an extra 5 grand & didn't sell one for the 1st month until they dropped to a $2k mark up. Hell, one lady went to another dealer in another city, since we're the only one here, & she told them that we had the car she wanted. They dealer traded for it & sold it to her for MSRP. That's all whe wanted, no big discounts, just MSRP. Priced at MSRP, sales still make 5 grand on a Genesis. Something is better than nothing right? As for cars, they can drop the price some if needed. Do you know it only costs about 6 grand to build a Sonata? I know that there is other costs after the build, like transportation, PDI, etc, etc, but still, that's a big difference compared to the price we pay out the door. If all these automanufacturers don't want these cars just collecting dust, they need to cut some ridiculous deal that consumers just can't pass up, otherwise that's exactly what we'll do, pass them up.
Thanks for your insight Tufast. I am putting myself on a list to get a coupe. I'm pondering whether or not to let them know know I help run a Genesis forum. Perhaps i could get better service, I dunno. I just don't want to go through the whole buying hassle. I just want to tell them exactly what I want and pay a fair price.. Hopefully they will not try to sell it at some huge markup if so I'm calling BS and people will hear about it. It's also a reason we created the Dealership Review section, so we as consumers and enthusiasts have a voice. Being part of the Hyundai Think Tank we may have more sway one way or another.

Wow, you think they will be that low? I sure hope so. That is a great price. Fully modded (at least for me)and be at less than 25k. Not many cars where you are going to be able to do that.
Well not exactly. What I was refereing to was the currancy exchange rate from the Korean WON to the US dollar. The US dollar is stronger than the Korean WON so our dollar goes further. If for example the Coupe sells for $25,000 here in the States, it would almost be cheaper to buy the car in Korea and it ship it to the states.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bottom line if you want a deal on the GenCoupe, wait til it's been out about 3mos B4 purchase. Research it online & build your car online, then print it & take it to the dealer. If the dealer don't want to deal, walk out telling them somebody else will. If they don't call you back in, call around w/in a 3hr drive radius or what ever you are will to travel to save several thousand dollars.

I did this with my 4 wheeler. The place in town charges high prices because they are on the North end in the same complex as my dealership, plus they are the only true dirt bike/ATV center in town. But, I took their price & called around. They wanted $7200.00 for Honda 450R when 1st came out, but I found the lowest price in low TN, about 3hrs away for $6200.00. I finally negotiated for $6400.00 locally because it wasn't worth the drive over $200.00.

I don't think the U.S. price will start any less than $19,995 for base 2.0t & $22,995 for V/6 (only because of new Camaro price), although I would love to see it in this economy. Then again, this is a "lux vehicle" & if everybody can afford one, I wouldn't feel too special.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.