Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before I go any further, let me say that I have never owned anything that could be considered a "real" sports car. All of my cars have been front drive.

85 Ford Tempo - my first car, and it was actually a good car
94 Mercury Sable - had the infamous Ford POS 3.8... I went thru the whole head gasket crap, I hated this car
02 Ford Focus ZX5 - very fun car, I should never have gotten rid of it
04 Chevy Cavalier - I swear to this day that it was insanity that made me buy this thing, it was a total POS
01 Tiburon 5 speed - The most fun car I've ever owned, had high mileage so I traded it
08 Accent - my current car, will suffice until I pick the Coupe I want

Ok, so you see where I'm coming from. Nothing with any measurable amount of power, nothing rear drive, etc.

Being as I work in parts, when I'm not actually doing anything to earn my pay and I'm not posting on here, I have been absorbing all of the Coupe information available to me: service info, parts availability, pricing, etc.

I have been looking up pricing for some of the most common "maintenance" type items on the Coupe, particularly the ones that would be on the 3.8 Track w/ 6 spd manual. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to afford this car...

Brembo brakes:
front pads $308.81
rear pads $263.13

Brake rotors (not really maintenance, but occasionally have to be replaced):
front $428.10 each
rear $398.53 each

The wiper blades are $36 driver side and $19 pass. side (for the aero blades), but I figure that I can get 'em aftermarket cheaper.

Clutch:
Clutch disc and pressure plate come together, not available separately: $1013.18
Throwout bearing and slave cylinder are a single intergrated unit: $153.84

Nearly $1200, and this is BEFORE labor? Holy shit Batman... I have officially stopped looking up parts prices for this car. I mean, a clutch does not last the life of the car unless you know how to drive it perfectly, and is considered a maintenance item after 12 mo/12k miles. I realize aftermarket companies will probably come out with cheaper alternatives (at least I would hope) and that these ARE Hyundai's prices and will probably go down eventually. But crap, is it really THIS expensive to own a performance car? I may have to reconsider going for the 6 speed automatic w/ paddle shifters. I really wanted the manual though, because I really hate auto transmissions... :cry:

Your thoughts please...

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Those prices are high, but how often do you sale the brake pads a the customer listed price. I mean avg brake job at my svc dept is $159.95, which includes resurfacing the rotors & replacing the pads, front or rear, not both. But, the pads will normally list out at $88.00 a set & we discount them down to $60.00 & still make a pretty penny. There's a heathy mark up on parts, so there is some room to work.

But, this is a performance car & these are performance parts. The same brake job for the above Hyundai SantaFe or Sonata for $159.95 will cost me $600.00 on my bimmer at the dealership. That's $1200.00 front & rear. But, I do all my own work, I replace my brakes B4 they are worn completely out, thus saving the indicator sensor, & I will resurface the rotors, which they say your not supposed to do on those ceramic composite rotors. But, if you turn them at a slow speed, they do fine, although I will only put one cut on them.

Point being, you can cut some corners being smart & not hurt performance. But at those above prices that you mentioned, I will be definately be looking at after market parts once my factory equipment wears out, including brakes, clutch, or what ever wears/breaks on my car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
eBay works out well, too. i bought some brembo blanks for my accord and the whole set of 4 cost me a grand total of $140 shipped. you really can't expect dealer prices to be realistic, cuz they're just tryin to squeeze every last penny out of anyone who's willing to go to them for that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those prices are high, but how often do you sale the brake pads a the customer listed price. I mean avg brake job at my svc dept is $159.95, which includes resurfacing the rotors & replacing the pads, front or rear, not both. But, the pads will normally list out at $88.00 a set & we discount them down to $60.00 & still make a pretty penny. There's a heathy mark up on parts, so there is some room to work.
Yeah, but even at cost the Brembo front pads are about $200 and the rears $160. We price our brake services the same as yours, but I guess now there will have to be an asterisk: "Genesis Coupe with Brembo brakes substantially higher"... lol. Every other vehicle, including the non-Brembo Coupe and all trim levels of the Genesis sedan have the pads that run about $70.

I know that by the time my Coupe needs any of these things, there will most likely be some good aftermarket stuff out. I would hate to buy a car that's not EXACTLY what I want because I will regret it every time I drive it. I want a 6 speed manual, so I guess I'll suck it up and save for those inevitable maintenance items. I just never realized that the upkeep would be so frickin expensive.

Crap... I cannot WAIT for this car to get here... :jump:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Brembo pads aint cheep, but if its the same caliper(pad) as the EVO/STi then you are gtg, as the Endless street pads are pretty cheep.

Just remember Brembo =/= normal caliper

·
Registered
155 Posts
o wow u just stated a good point! if they are the same as the evo pads then i know some places to get some nice ass pads to mega cheap!!

also when i had my 04 evo i took into a dealership for a brake job because ive never done brakes on a brembo before and i though it would be harder then a normal caliper! new brakes and rotors cost me $$$89.00 then on my 06 evo i was like ya fuck that so i did it myself......i got a nice price on the brembo pads 200 for both front and back....new rotors front and back for 100 from an evo forum member who didnt need them and i didnt the whole job myself in an hour!! freakin brembos are so damn easy to work on its rediculous....u wonder y they dont use the same set up on everyday average calipers.

moral of the story though performance parts are still a lil pricey but if you know what too look for you can find hook ups everywhere....also dont go cheap on brakes like autozone crap or something all i have to say is that you can really feel the difference with a cheap brake setup its not nice at all trust me

·
Registered
292 Posts
If anyone on here gets their car with Brembos and pays someone to do the brakes for them, I will find out where you live and slap you in the face. It's seriously a 4 minute job to change the pads, and if you change them early enough, you won't need to resurface the rotor, unless it's glazed. All you need o do to change the pads is knock out 2 pins, pull out the retaining clip, pry the pads out, pry the pistons back into the calipers, drop in new pads, and re-assemble.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Don't have to worry about me letting someone do my brakes, no one touches any of my cars if I can help it. I do ALL my own work, except tuning. It saves a bundle, I kinda enjoy it, & I know it's getting done correctly (I'm anal when it comes to my cars). But, I don't like to work on anyone else's car.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I would rather do my own work, but apartment life makes it kind of difficult. Besides, I have access to the whole shop so as long as I'm able to stay after hours or it's something I can do on my lunch break, it's no big deal. There are only one or two guys in our shop that I actually trust to work on my car. I'm having an issue right now with wheel balance that I need to take care of because the lube tech that did my oil change and rotate last week apparently did the balance without removing the factory stick-on weights because "they are hard to get off". You have NO idea how much that pisses me off.

Oh, and I will never EVER put an AutoZone part on any car that I drive. Working in this business, I see the effects of cutting corners every single day. You can pay for it once and do it right the first time or you can pay for it twice...

·
Registered
126 Posts
All this stuff you are talking about , how often do you change them? if you are changing brakes that often that its a problem well then thats a problem in itself or if you race you need to get dedicated sets of brakes

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All this stuff you are talking about , how often do you change them? if you are changing brakes that often that its a problem well then thats a problem in itself or if you race you need to get dedicated sets of brakes
No, I'm not saying they get changed every couple of months, it's just that the prices got my attention because they are substantially higher than what I am used to seeing every day. I mean you go from a brake service being $160 to not even being able to buy the parts for that price, and yeah it takes you back a little.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
While it is nice to say you have Brembo brakes, for most people who just want something sporty to drive daily the regular brakes should do just fine. For those wanting to track and autocross then they are probably worth the upgrade. Wait a year, and you will be able to find some Brembos off a junk yard car from those that will be street racing their track model!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread back from the grave... hahaha

I started this before the Coupe ever went on sale, and WAY before I bought my 3.8 Track.

As you can see, it didn't worry me enough to keep my from opting for the one with the Brembos. I did get the automatic tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.