1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
teh turbo 4 is a little lighter than I thought it would be, but still not as light as I would like.
Yeah it would be nice if these cars were going to be 3000 or less but from what i hear these are larger cars than most people realize and all of the safety equipment, etc, that adds weight. At least it's not as porkly as the EVO X, those cars went from being around 2700 lbs to being over 3500 lbs...:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
This is pretty good news. I find it humorous that the gov. demands higher economy, at the same time forcing automakers to add all sorts of safety items, then be in shock over the fact that no one seems to want or is able to afford one now.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
teh turbo 4 is a little lighter than I thought it would be, but still not as light as I would like.
It's not that bad. Obviously its no S2000 but we should be glad it doesn't weigh as much as the Challenger or Camaro. 3,700 and 3800 lbs respectively. :eek:

I wonder what the R-Spec will come in at? And I'm installing a shit load of CF parts. Looking good.:jump:
Maybe a little lighter, i'm guessing it won't have any of the fluff stuff like Ipod or bluetooth connectivity. Not sure how much weight that adds though.

This is pretty good news. I find it humorous that the gov. demands higher economy, at the same time forcing automakers to add all sorts of safety items, then be in shock over the fact that no one seems to want or is able to afford one now.
Higher fuel economy is good but not at the expense of safety... I feel the tech exists to do both. Hyundai seems to be able to provide a car that gets 30mpg, be fun, and safe at a reasonable price. it can be done.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a feeling the bulk of the weight is in the cabin infrastructure, hence the good crash rating. The mr2 is like this, found out years ago when trying to drop weight for drag racing, even back halving one didn't net a good weight loss. But, you will welcome that protection in an unfortunate situation.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a feeling the bulk of the weight is in the cabin infrastructure, hence the good crash rating. The mr2 is like this, found out years ago when trying to drop weight for drag racing, even back halving one didn't net a good weight loss. But, you will welcome that protection in an unfortunate situation.
Emily you are probably right on, Hyundai's newer cars seem to be very safe cars and I'll take a weight penalty if I know that I can survive a decent crash.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
130 Posts
If anyone is looking for a lightweight import when backhalved look to a 1st gen DSM. My project drag car will be close to 2000lbs with full glass and is still AWD!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The beauty is that it will be super easy to shave 300lbs.

Remove A/C = 100lbs
Light weight battery = 40lbs
Light weight wheels = 15lbsx4 - 60 lbs

I dont know how much the hood or rear glass weigh, but a carbon fiber hood and lexan rear glass should cut close to another 100lbs off.
I guess the downside is that many of you south of the border may not be able to remove the a/c. Canada FTW!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
The beauty is that it will be super easy to shave 300lbs.

Remove A/C = 100lbs
Light weight battery = 40lbs
Light weight wheels = 15lbsx4 - 60 lbs

I dont know how much the hood or rear glass weigh, but a carbon fiber hood and lexan rear glass should cut close to another 100lbs off.
I guess the downside is that many of you south of the border may not be able to remove the a/c. Canada FTW!
Southern Ga here & I don't think I'll be removing the A/C. But, if Hyundai were to leave it out of the R-Spec, it wouldn't bother me that much, since it's not my DD. For that matter, manual windows & door locks would be just with me fine too. But, I am doing light weight mods for battery, wheels, hood, deck lid, drive shaft, exaust & a few other things. I figure the R-Spec will come in weighing around 3200lbs & I can get it under 3000lbs easily,

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.