Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post ...

I'm a lifelong Ford guy and have owned 3 SN-95 generation V6 Mustangs with Manual Transmission ('94, '98, & current '04). I like these cars because they are ...

2 Door 4-Passenger Coupe
Fold Down Rear Seat
Rear Wheel Drive
Manual Transmission
Sporty and fun to drive
Inexpencive to purchase
Inexpencive to insure
Get decent gas mileage
Cheap to mod
Easy to re-sell

Until now, the Mustang was the ONLY CHOICE ... not anymore !!

The V6 Camaro looks pretty good on paper but is much heavier than the Mustang or Genesis.
The V6 Challenger is nice looking but is also too heavy ... not being available with a Manual Transmission = not interested.
The V6 Mustang ('09 or '10) still has it's 4.0L that was designed in the 70's, still has a 5-Speed MT, and has never been classified as an enthusiest / performance car by Ford or the media.

To me, the Genesis 2.0T is basically a reincarnated '84-86 Mustang SVO updated with a 21st century chassis, drivetrain, and Import styled body.

To me, the Genesis 3.8 is basically an updated SN-95 V6 Mustang, with features Ford still refuses to include in ANY of the Mustang line up ... I.E. competitive power to other V6's, 6-Speed Manual (GT500 only), Independent Rear Suspension, Limited Slip (V6), CVVT, etc.

Over the Summer, I ended up driving an '02 Chevy Cavilier for a couple of months. Had bought it for my 15 year old son, that would not have his licence until August. Just sitting in the driveway, I decided to give the Mustang a break and see how much I could save on gas. I drive 400 miles a week and the Cavilier averaged 32 MPG, the Mustang typically gets 25-28 MPG but does this on Premium thanks to an SCT flash tune. I also was able to do my whole work week on 1 tank of gas, Mustang was always 40-60 miles shy.

Sometime over the summer, I read an artice on the Genesis "Mustang Beater" and they said the base car would have a 2.0L Turbo 6-Speed. This made me think it was actually possible to have a car as fun to drive as my Mustang but with mileage (or "range" anyway) of that boring and uncomfortable Cavalier.

Guess what boys, that time has come !!

Genesis 2.0T Premium ... add LSD and swap in gears from either a 3.8 Coupe (3.538:1, 10% rev reduction) or 4.6 Sedan gears (3.133:1, 20% rev reduction), and I'll bet I can beat the Cavilier's 32 MPG as well as most boring FWD 4 Cyl cars out there.

Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too !!

Doug

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Doug I went ahead & moved your 1st post over to new member intros

Hello Doug.

I'm a Mustang guy myself. owned 2 GT convertables (85' black on black 5.0carb M/T & 88' beige on burgandy 5.0fuel inj A/T). Also, owned a 80' Mustang 6cyl w/T-tops & I now own a 65' 1 owner w/factory 289 V/8 & A/C. Before the Mustang era, I was a big Chevy fan. Had a 79' Z28, 73' SS Nova hatchback, & a # of other GM products throughout the years. But, once I drove a few imports & seen the difference in handling, I was sold. Then, I saw how much better they held together & haven't looked back. The German's make some bad ass cars, although their dependability isn't that far from American made, but at least they're not rattle traps. But, for all around quality Japanese & now Korean vehicles seem to be the way to go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tufast ... thanks for copying this post in the new member section, I thought about it myself after the fact.

Current daily driver is an "orange3.9stang" ...
2004 Mustang Premium Coupe, 3.9L V6 / 5-Speed, Competition Orange with Dark Charcoal interior.
Performance Mods: FRPP 7.5" Traction Lok, KYB GR2 Front Struts & Rear Shocks, Gas-A-Just rear Quad Shocks, O.E. V6 Rear Sway Bar, Yokohoma Avid V4S tires, Magnaflow Cat-Back/Bolt-In Dual Exhaust, Motoblue 42% UD Pulley, FRPP 1.73:1 Roller Rockers, Magnacor KV-85 Plug Wires, SCT Flash Microtuner w/ 3 tunes (93-Perf, 89-Perf, 89-MPG), K&N Air Filter, and B&M Ripper shifter.
Appearance/Comfort Mods: FRPP 2004 Cobra Leather F&R Seat Set, Cobra Leather E-Brake, O.E. Leather Shift Knob, Redline Leather E-Brake & Shift Boots, CDC Sequential Taillights, FRPP Bullitt Pedals, Mach 1 Grill Kit, VMP Clear Fog Lamp Set, and Donnelly Auto Dimming Mirror w/Ouside Temp & Compass. Also 2nd set of wheels w/ Dunlop Wintersport M3 Snow Tires ... yes a year-round daily driver with 100k miles as of 2/09 !!

Also in my garage:
1969 Mustang Deluxe GT Hardtop ... Calypso Coral with Black Interior, 351W 4bbl, 4-Speed, & 3.50:1 T-Lok (owned since '81)
1967 Fairlane 500 XL Hardtop ... Black with Parchment Interior, '85 H.O. 5.0L 4bbl, C6 Auto (owned since '88)
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
2002 Chevy Cavalier

past rides:
1998 Ford Mustang, Chrome Yellow V6 5-Speed Coupe (0-131k miles)
1996 Ford Windstar GL 3.8L (0-90k miles)
1994 Ford Mustang, Bright Blue V6 5-Speed Coupe (0-89k miles)
1989 Mercury Sable wagon
1984 Mercury Cougar 5.0L
1979 Ford Fairmont Futura w/ '85 HO 5.0L, built AOD, FMS 3.27 T-Lok, Quad Shocks, 10-Hole 15" LX Rims, SVO Seats & Console (basically a Mustang w/real back seat & trunk)
1978 Buick Regal
1973 Pontiac Bonneville 4dr
1977 Ford LTD Landau 4dr
1972 Ford Country Squire wagon

Doug

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Yeah bro, you are a Ford Freak...LoL...
You're welcome for the thread transfer.
Usually I flame on people who opt for 6cyl msucle cars, but that orange 3.9 sounds pretty nasty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah bro, you are a Ford Freak...LoL...
You're welcome for the thread transfer.
Usually I flame on people who opt for 6cyl msucle cars, but that orange 3.9 sounds pretty nasty.
I drive 400 miles a week and I'm on the interstate doing 75 MPH with the cruse on 60-70% of the time. It would be waste doing this in a V8, so I modded up both the previous '98 and this '04 so they are as much fun to drive as a GT but with lower Insurance premiums & better MPG. Obviously still no competition for a V8 powered Mustang or any other real muscle car, but that was never my goal.

Prior to the 3 V6 Mustangs, I built the Fairmont Futura (listed in above post) for daily driving duty and drove it for 100k miles. It was cheap to buy & build, fun as hell to drive, cheap to insure (orig. an inline 6), and got decent gas mileage for a V8. However it was built prior to getting married (& kids), so when it was getting tired in 1994 I certainly was not going to be building anything from the ground up again !! Found the new V6 Mustang to be pretty decent for the money so I ordered one up.

Doug

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does your Mustang with the snows handle the snow in Sconi?
With a few inches of snow or hardpack on I43, I'm usually the fastest out there ... passing 4x4's, AWD's and everthing else.

The beauty of RWD is I'm the 1st one to know when it is too slippery to drive fast ... FWD, AWD & 4x4's only know it's slippery when they try to STOP or TURN.

None of my Mustangs have had ABS or Traction Control either. '94 & '98 could have had ABS, but it did not seem worth the added cost. The '04 could have had ABS & TC, but figured I had driven 10 years already without it, why waste an extra $800~900 on more electronic crap that could be expencive to fix later on.

On my '98, WS-50 Blizzak's were the 1st Snow tire I tried ... car was more fun to drive in the snow than on dry pavement !! However these soft Blizzaks were wicked scarry at speed on dry pavement, so when they were due for replacement I switched to the "H" Speed rated Dunlops M2's and currently M3's. You lose some Snow & Ice confidence, but considering 60-70% of winter driving is on relatively DRY pavement, the trade off is worth it. This winter I finally broke down and figured out how to anchor a 70 lb. bag of sand in the trunk, this helps a bit especially when fuel level is low.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
To me, the Genesis 2.0T is basically a reincarnated '84-86 Mustang SVO updated with a 21st century chassis, drivetrain, and Import styled body.
I actually think it fits better with the '87-88 Ford Turbocoupes but I am biased since that is what I used to own. :) Same engine as the SVO but way ahead of its time IMO. 4-wheel Anti-Lock Brakes, intercooled 2.3l turbo-4, electronic adjustable suspension... and hood scoops!

Also welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sabbasaun,

I almost forgot about the Turbo Coupe ... I did some serious drooling over the '87-88 models when they were new, but at the time there was no way I could afford a NEW car so I bought & built up the '79 Futura mentioned above instead. Bought a used '84 5.0L Cougar later after I got married and put a Turbo Coupe instrument cluster in it and 3 Autometer gauges on the passenger side dash panel ... took it back out when I sold it; think I still got this dash face & cluster down in my basement somewhere !!

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.