·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmmm... definately not factory...

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, those don't look factory to me either, but they were in the pics section & thought paddle shifters should get their own thread. Anyways, what do ya'll think about paddle shifters vs gate shifter vs M/T? Also, does it make much of a difference weather the paddle shifters are mounted to steering wheel or column? Any thoughts are welcomed...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's my logic behind this. If they are mounted to the column, then lets say your bumming around and you take a sharp turn, changing gears will be impossible because your hands wont be over the paddles. You could slide your hands to the appropriate paddle, but then your letting go of the wheel. If they were however mounted to the wheel, then they are always under your finger tips. Personally I think mounting them to the column can be dangerous to you and the car.

That's why I don't like them there.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
The theory is the exact opposite. Most people go hand over hand when turning so it can get confusing which paddle is up shift and which is down if wheel mounted. So column shifters take the guessing out of it. It is no different than a manual tranny that requires a hand to be on the shifter anyway. The best solution is to have wheel mounted paddles that pull for up shift and push for down shift and you can use the left or the right so there is no confusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.