Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Dude
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rhys Millen Racing Hyundai Genesis PM580 Spied Testing 3 Videos

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9dt2u8yWQM]YouTube - RMR Hyundai Genesis PM580 up close[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFlXvBV6lMk]YouTube - RMR Hyundai Genesis PM580 Active wing[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIvVOaBuNKg]YouTube - RMR Hyundai Genesis PM580 acceleration run[/ame]

These are the first shots of Hyundai’s secretive Pikes Peak race car, the Rhys Millen Racing (RMR) Hyundai Genesis PM580. The photos were taken by pro drifter Dai Yoshihara when the car was out testing recently at the El Toro airforce base

Designed to run the Unlimited Class at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, the PM580 is basically a Le Mans-style prototype racer — with all-wheel-drive and at least 650 horsepower from a 4.1-liter turbocharged Hyundai LAmbda engine.

Hyundai and Rhys Millen are gunning for the record currently held by Nobuhiro “Monster” Tajima, who ran a 10:01.41 on the 12.42-mile course in an extremely modified Suzuki back in 2007. Tajima’s time bested the standing world’ record of 10:04.06, set in 1994 by Rhys’ father Rod Millen.

The Pikes Peak Hill Climb, which takes place annually on Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado, starts at an elevation of 9,300 feet and finishes at an elevation of 14,110 feet – where the air is so think drivers’ reaction times begin to slow and their race car engines lose 30 percent of their power. Drivers drift around 156 corners, nearly missing guard rails and trees, while avoiding cliffs with 2,000-foot drop-offs.

Rhys Millen Racing will officially debut the car on April 19th, with this year’s event taking place on June 27th.

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1........

I'm not sure what a flat plane V/8 is...:dunno:
As opposed to cross plane V8. Think about the sound of a small block Chevy (cross plane V8) and now a Ferrari F430 (flat plane V8).

The Ferrari sounds smooth. The Chevy sounds angry lol. This has to do with the crank design. The flat plane crank in the Ferrari uses the firing order 1-8-3-6-4-5-2-7. The Chevy, with it's cross plane crank would use a firing order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

You will notice that the Ferrari has a balanced order; one cylinder from each bank firing alternately. This makes the exhaust note sound like two inline 4's running together. Very smooth and sexy!

Now I would assume that the V8 from the Genesis is a cross plane V8 since that is what most V8's are, but that definitely doesn't sound like it! If RMR has devised a flat plane crank for the Tau V8 then I am even more in love.

*edit* Okay I just read that it's using the V6. Well, I'm an idiot. lol

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
As opposed to cross plane V8. Think about the sound of a small block Chevy (cross plane V8) and now a Ferrari F430 (flat plane V8).

The Ferrari sounds smooth. The Chevy sounds angry lol. This has to do with the crank design. The flat plane crank in the Ferrari uses the firing order 1-8-3-6-4-5-2-7. The Chevy, with it's cross plane crank would use a firing order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

You will notice that the Ferrari has a balanced order; one cylinder from each bank firing alternately. This makes the exhaust note sound like two inline 4's running together. Very smooth and sexy!

Now I would assume that the V8 from the Genesis is a cross plane V8 since that is what most V8's are, but that definitely doesn't sound like it! If RMR has devised a flat plane crank for the Tau V8 then I am even more in love.

*edit* Okay I just read that it's using the V6. Well, I'm an idiot. lol
Thanks for explanation. At 1st I thought maybe it was similar to the 6cyl engine design Porsche uses. :dunno:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sigh... I still wish I could find some exact info on how I can watch this event this weekend! :-(

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Yea I was wondering the same thing..is it gonna be televised at all???

I just checked the Pikes Peak Hill Climb web site and there is no mention of televised coverage.

Anyone know?
I checked the RMR site and it didn't have anything about television coverage either

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.