Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to Chin(Chintastic) last night and we held a discussion about exhaust upgrades. As he said dual exhaust fits the car very well, but I beg to differ. Maybe this is just a difference in taste. I know the SRT-4 guys probably encountered the same issue because their boosted 4-cylinders also came stock with the dual exhaust and literally 100% of the ones I have seen on the street and on the track have maintained that dual exhaust setup. The only single exhaust setups I ,personally, have seen on those cars were fabricated and IMO didn't sound that nice at all. But then again I don't even like the sound of ANY of the modified exhausts on the SRT-4's. I was once told by an SRT-4 guy that it's an "acquired" taste lol Anyways back to the subject. I absolutely love the single exhaust setup on the GenCoupe and I think it sounds very nice and aggressive as well. I'm very very particular with exhausts on 4-cylinder cars. I own a turbo civic and no brand name bolt-on exhaust did justice anywhere near as much as my current custom 3" turbo back setup. I'm sure this is some form of curse that I have due to my ridiculously horrible obsession with supra's and skyline's. There is something about looking at the ass end of both of those RWD turbo cars and seeing them have their 4" exhausts all cocked out to the left or right that leads me to believe "Hey! My GenCoupe could look JUST as sexy" And IMO I think the single exhaust setup would aid in helping the exhaust gases escape a lot faster. Well that as well as at least a 3" cat-back. Idk you guys give me your opinions on this one because I'm pretty torn.

I'm headed to my dealer to pick up my brochure and see if there is ANY WAY possible that I could squeeze some numbers out of them. I was there yesterday and they said that they will be receiving OFFICIAL prices Feb. 13th so in 5 days I'll be right back to being up their ass again lol.

Wish me luck! :shifting:

P.S. I just previewed this post and the smiley I chose kind of looks like a slow-motion representation of torque steer in my civic hahah FWD FTL I can't wait to kick out the ass end :evilgrin:

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I like the single exhaust sounds of the srt-4s.. my brother's car has a nice rumble/garble.. and I like the throttle lift sounds it makes... as for me want my setup to be functional over pretty and will go as with a single setup.. if anyone figures out how to trick the secondary o2 sensors it I may do away with the dump pipe/cat setup and just go new free flowing from the turbo back... we'll see :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yup, single exhaust all the way, if you want the most performance. I'll have to make a clip of the SRT-4's single exhaust note and you can judge if it sounds good at all. It started as a dual exhaust 3" cat back exhaust but I replaced that last half with 3" piping before the Y and now it's single exit on the drivers side rear. It sounds better to me than the dual exhaust , IMHO.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
If I was getting the V/6 I would want dual all the way back, like this:

If I was going to run dual on the 4cyl, in would just be at the rear for looks only, coming from a 3"single pipe all the way back to the muffler, like this:

But, I'm getting the 4cyl & I am interested in saving weight, so it will probably be a single all the way back on one side going through a high preformance converter & muffler exiting on one side through a CF rear diffuser designed for a single exaust to keep it clean looking, like this:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
142 Posts
RICER!!!! lmao j/p mark hahaha atleast we finally have a difference...its not like you were the only other blackanese kid in school with a love for supras haha but i think the duals flow pretty well if designed properly....because if u think about it, having two exits is less restriction than having one which would allow more power on a turbo car..and i also think that the duals make the car look a little more aggresive...and keep in mind the cops that look for melon shooters on the back...if your loud and the cops see a car with a single melon shooter and then they look at the car with OEM looking dual tips...who are they gonna snag??...

PS ...MARK WHAT ARE YOU WRITING A COLLEGE PAPER OR SOMETHIN??? LMAO HAHA

·
Registered
342 Posts
... but i think the duals flow pretty well if designed properly....because if u think about it, having two exits is less restriction than having one which would allow more power on a turbo car..and i also think that the duals make the car look a little more aggresive...and keep in mind the cops that look for melon shooters on the back...if your loud and the cops see a car with a single melon shooter and then they look at the car with OEM looking dual tips...who are they gonna snag??...
I agree that if you have an obviously custom exhaust on your car it attracts (unwanted) attention. My exhaust looks almost stock because I rolled the rear bumper lip so it doesn't look like it's missing an exhaust tip outlet.

I don't believe the fake dual exhaust is better for a 4 cylinder turbo. A proper single exit exhaust of the same size will almost always perform better because of the crazy extra curves you have to put in the dual exhaust to make it look right. It's form over function in my mind. If you've seen how the exhaust S curves and Ys and bends on the stock SRT-4 you'll know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
LOL, hey wattaya expect with this on the car? eBay Motors: Fake Turbo Blow Off Valve BOV Sound Whistler All Makes! (item 270339286255 end time Feb-09-09 23:11:44 PST)

BTW, you don't even know how much trouble I went through to be able to record the exhaust.

1) Quality mic - check
2) laptop computer - check
3) loud car - double check

My first attempt was with a that tape deck stereo I own, couldn't even register the low end of the sound spectrum. Then I tried recording with my Pocket PC phone, too much distortion and clipping... Finally I went all out and got the mic and plugged it into my laptop. So you better appreciate the effort sucka! :aargh:

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
LOL, hey wattaya expect with this on the car? eBay Motors: Fake Turbo Blow Off Valve BOV Sound Whistler All Makes! (item 270339286255 end time Feb-09-09 23:11:44 PST)

BTW, you don't even know how much trouble I went through to be able to record the exhaust.

1) Quality mic - check
2) laptop computer - check
3) loud car - double check

My first attempt was with a that tape deck stereo I own, couldn't even register the low end of the sound spectrum. Then I tried recording with my Pocket PC phone, too much distortion and clipping... Finally I went all out and got the mic and plugged it into my laptop. So you better appreciate the effort sucka! :aargh:
Tape deck, seriously? lol ...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
damnit i don't know how to play this sound clip. i downloaded it but windows media player doesn't allow it to play. yea i definitely think i'm goin with the single exhaust setup. F*** the po po lol

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Yaa i like that sound.. sounds way better than that whistling sound it used to make !! lol
+1...That sounds sick...Gotta have...THAT SOUND...LoL

But, I don't want to do custom exaust. I'd rather buy a fairly straight precut & formed stainless (SS) 3" all the way back exaust. I also want SS racing converter & a good, somewhat low pitched free flowing muffler w/a sick looking dual tip. Later, I will be upgrading the exaust manifold to a custom tubular design w/minimal bends about the time I get my upgraded turbo.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I know we plan on doing a dual setup. I personally do not want a brand new car with an extra exhaust cutout just chilling there. I think many will agree with me on that.

Also we have found with our Evo X dual catback still weighs in lighter than competitors single catbacks while making the same power/trq if not more. We have always been known for lightweight parts that flatout work especially our exhaust systems. Our full Evo turboback system weighs in at just over 20lbs. It is all high quality 304 mandrel bent stainless.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Damn that's pretty light. Yeah I agree with the empty hole for the other side looking lame when you go from dual to single. (That's why I rolled the bumper on my car to hide the extra exhaust outlet).

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm a srt4 guy and there is one thing you have to remember about the srt that the genesis can't do (atleast from the pics I've looked at), is hide the holes for the dual exhaust. The section of the rear bumper on the neon SRT4 isn't connected to anything. This allowed up to roll the center section and hide the exhaust cutouts. Putting a single on the Genesis will leave a hole there that would look very tacky in your overall appearance.

Pre-rolled

Rolled

As for performance, I talked to Aaron at realtune about this sometime ago. He told me that from all the cars he has dyno'd that the performance differences between dual, single, side exit, or open dump is marginal at best. The performance difference between them isn't much to worry about. You'll still get the performance you want. As for as sound, I think the side exit is the best for the SRT's. You can hear the turbo spool when you rev, and the sound of a turbo is always cool.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
damnit i don't know how to play this sound clip. i downloaded it but windows media player doesn't allow it to play. yea i definitely think i'm goin with the single exhaust setup. F*** the po po lol
I just used itunes since it was already downloaded, worked fine for sound only.

I know we plan on doing a dual setup. I personally do not want a brand new car with an extra exhaust cutout just chilling there. I think many will agree with me on that.

Also we have found with our Evo X dual catback still weighs in lighter than competitors single catbacks while making the same power/trq if not more. We have always been known for lightweight parts that flatout work especially our exhaust systems. Our full Evo turboback system weighs in at just over 20lbs. It is all high quality 304 mandrel bent stainless.
Jrod if you can get me an exaust system that light, that has a good sound, I have no reason to go single. I was mainly doing it because of the weight of one pipe compared to 2 & the fact there's 2 exaust pipes, it seems like there would be twice as many bends. So, I deduced that a singe should save on weight & improve performance, but it looks like ya'll have proved me wrong in both instances. Bring on the duals....LoL

Damn that's pretty light. Yeah I agree with the empty hole for the other side looking lame when you go from dual to single. (That's why I rolled the bumper on my car to hide the extra exhaust outlet).
I wasn't too much worried about the extra hole, since I was planning on modifying the lower portion of the bumper, installing an after market rear diffuser. But honestly, I prefer duals over single look. As long as it's gotta good sound, I'm sold.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.