Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my only real concern with the new Coupe. Living in Northern Ohio we get at least 2-4 snowfalls of 7 or more inches per year. It has been a long time since I have driven a rear wheel drive car in the winter. I forget the problems with hills, driveways and deep snow. I have two muscle cars but never in the winter anymore. My last RWD ones were an 81 Trans Am and and an 87 IROC that I totaled in a freezing rain storm in 1995. Had some RWD trucks but much more ground clearance and meaty tires with weight in the bed.

Who else will be using the Coupe for their daily driver and dealing with bad winter weather?

What are your thoughts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
well i live in Nova. the coupe will be my only car once i get it. So ill be driving it in the winter. Which i've never owned a RWD car or truck. My fisr car was a 92 honda accord when i was 17. Then i bought my tib when i turned 18 and im about to be 20 at the end on the month. So when i get the coupe it will be a first for me driving a RWD car in the snow.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I'm getting rid of my trucks and the Coupe will be my DD. For the winter I will probably goto some semi-performance winter specific tires and on the days that the weather is REALLY bad I'll just take my wife's AWD Sienna. That being said with the traction control and stability control systems on the newer cars I don't think it will be that bad as long as you don't go crazy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'll be using it as a DD car as well. Here in Mn, we usually get 30" or so through the course of the winter, not all at once of course. As I've posted before, I used to drive a '95 240sx, and with a decent set of snow tires, that was just fine. The only time I ever got stuck in it is when I tried to go through some 8-9" deep heavy, wet snow. As soon as the bottom of the car packed the snow down, I couldn't move and had to get towed out.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
well i live in Nova. the coupe will be my only car once i get it. So ill be driving it in the winter. Which i've never owned a RWD car or truck. My fisr car was a 92 honda accord when i was 17. Then i bought my tib when i turned 18 and im about to be 20 at the end on the month. So when i get the coupe it will be a first for me driving a RWD car in the snow.
All I got to say is take it easy & practice somewhere there is no cars/traffic around (i.e parking lot) if possible.
Good luck..

It's not the car it's the driver man. You just don't got any mad winter driving skillz... ... winter tires make a difference too though. :)
A 2nd set of wheels & tires is a must IMO for those of you that live in these conditions. All seasons are really not enough. You need a dedicated set of snow tires, like Blizzaks.

I guess I'm lucky that I live in southern GA. Full time summer performance tires all the way..w00t

Anyways I created a shortcut that will take to Hyundai Genesis Fourms, where these guys have already had to opportunity to experience snow in their rear wheel drive sedans & give some insight.

How Does Your Genesis Drive in Snow? Icy conditions? - Hyundai Genesis Forum

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
The Coupe is going to be my "toy" so it will not see winter. I always have stored my "toy" vehicles over winter. The salt and stuff just destroys a vehicle not to mention blastin through snow drifts, ice chunks in the road, etc...

My first car was a '89 Cougar which was the 3.8 V6 RWD and I loved that thing in the snow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
16s might not even fit the base model, I suggest buying a $1000 beater over spending that money on snow tires and rims. You can switch the plates unless you have a loan, but then you can insure the beater for 4-5 months for cheap. My company lowers the rate when they know I'm not driving my car because there's obviously less risk for them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.