Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I am at the point on my 2.0 Track that my clutch is starting to let go. I am going to drop the car back to stock get my trans replaced because the 5th gear is grinding. As soon as I get it back I am looking at the spec stage 1 clutch and flywheel replacement.

SPEC Clutches & Flywheels: Auto Parts, Domestic, Import, Truck, Racing, Drifting :: Results By Car

For the price I don't think I can go wrong really. Before I have only used ACT clutches and had SO/SO results. But all and all I was pretty happy with them. ACT doesn't have an option out yet for our car and I am not going to spend $3300 for another stock clutch and I don't think I need a stage 6 or whatever that Beyond Redline is selling for $2500, I am sure it is awesome just a lot of over kill for me.

I can get the whole thing and lightened flywheel from SPEC for about $1000 through a friend shipped.

QUESTION! Does anyone have this in a Gen Coupe now and do they like it or does anyone have a history with them and recommend their product? Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hey man,

I have the stage 3 6puck set up with the Light weight flywheel. It is awsome i just broke my 500 city miles last night so now its time to really put it to the limits and see what this puppy can do..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man,

I have the stage 3 6puck set up with the Light weight flywheel. It is awsome i just broke my 500 city miles last night so now its time to really put it to the limits and see what this puppy can do..
You went with the Stage 3 version from spec? What mods do you have on the car? I'm not going to go do a 6 puk on this car. To much of a pain to drive on every day. But thanks for the feedback. Let me know how it goes an you put more miles on it. Thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:bump:

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
You went with the Stage 3 version from spec? What mods do you have on the car? I'm not going to go do a 6 puk on this car. To much of a pain to drive on every day. But thanks for the feedback. Let me know how it goes an you put more miles on it. Thanks
I drove his car & can say I love the quick engagement of this performance clutch, although I will admit that I stalled it the 1st time I took off. I'm sure after about an hour of driving with it, I would not want to switch back to the stocker. Reminds me of the clutch pedal of my old '85 Mustang GT had where it let out right near the top. I've never been fond of SPEC clutches due to feedback I've gotten from some of my Honda friends, but I'm interested to see how this one holds up. The fact that they designed this setup with a SMF, gives me more faith in its abilities.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
275 Posts
these Flywheels are Single not dual? you guys getting crazy noises?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just put my order in for the Stage 3+ and flywheel so hopefully it's a solid unit... OEM clutch finally gave out on me. It slipped in 6th early last week but today it slipped in 4th too. Had to drop boost back to keep from wearing it out too quick :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Selling OEM clutch and flywheel. How do I start a new thread for it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have a little update on this in the local area. I have heard with the spec setup that there is an issue with the Spec clutch not wanting to disengage or getting stuck some time. On the other hand I have heard a few local people giving some praise to clutch master products and even a few that tried spec hated it removed it and went with a Clutch Master setup.

I just purchased a Clutch Master Stage 2 clutch and flywheel today. Hope to have it in the car in a couple weeks. I will let you all know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
So I have a little update on this in the local area. I have heard with the spec setup that there is an issue with the Spec clutch not wanting to disengage or getting stuck some time. On the other hand I have heard a few local people giving some praise to clutch master products and even a few that tried spec hated it removed it and went with a Clutch Master setup.

I just purchased a Clutch Master Stage 2 clutch and flywheel today. Hope to have it in the car in a couple weeks. I will let you all know how it works out.
I think these issues are sometimes just install problems. You need to take the time to be certain everything lines up perfectly or there are going to be issues down the road. If those problems were with DIY installs, it does not surprise me.

Spec stage 3+ has good reviews in the EXO X world with near stock pedal feel. ACT HDSS seems to be another favorite since it holds right around 500 crank torque which gives a good match for simple bolt on performance guys. The 6 puck setup is also nice, but for a daily I personally prefer a full face disc. The 3+ is good for nearly 600 ft/lbs so to me is a little overkill but should last forever as long as your drive line can take its unforgiving nature.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I know the issue they had was across a few cars installed at different performance shops one of those shops was AMS and I am pretty sure they know what they are doing with installing a clutch. LOL

I went with the CM stage 2 because when you jump to the stage 3 it goes to a puck style and while I have dealt with a few pucks in my last cars they just dont have the same surface area of the stage 2 and I really want something for a little over stock holding and LONG life. So just going to keep away from the puck this time. I personally like the way they feel but not what I am going for on this one.

Not to mention the CM flywheel comes with lifetime warranty... Kind of like that option to :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Any update on this? Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as Crooked and my clutch is just about out. I had to revert back to stock ecu so I could extend my clutch life as well. I'd really not rather pay that much for a steel flywheel CM offers... I'm need more of an Aluminum for autocross anyway, but I've heard mixed feelings about both...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I thought I would take a moment to update this thread. I ended up going with the Clutchmaster stage II and Clutchmaster flywheel and omg I couldn't be more of a happy camper!!!

I have logged about 3k miles on it now sense I have had it installed and I have noticed it is a little loader that the stock unit which was to be expected but its not a puck setup so it isn't to bad.

It is awesome for daily driving the pedle has pretty much the exact same feeling as stock. The engagement point has moved a little but with a few adjustments of the seat I was back into that in no time.

I an turning 243HP and 273TQ at the wheels now and it holds beautifully! I would recommend this setup that needs a clutch they can DD on and don't want to deal with the heavy aftermarket feel of others. Not to forget its almost stock like feel!!!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for posting the follow up ^^^^ I too like ClutchMasters & have their Stage2 setup for my Jeep Wrangler still sitting in the box for whenever I get back to building it after I slow down on the GenCoupe.
You will be very happy with it man, did you pair it with the flywheel? The flywheel was $$$ but worth it because you get that nice lifetime warranty with it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You will be very happy with it man, did you pair it with the flywheel? The flywheel was $$$ but worth it because you get that nice lifetime warranty with it.
I think Boosted just got ClutchMaster's another sale then. I will be picking one up when I get back from my Haiti deployment for sure.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Yeah, got the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing & flywheel from them & mated it up to a Rubicon tranny & freshley built 4.2L I6 bored .030 over. :rofl: It will be rolling on twin Dana44s that came out of a '88Grand Wagoneer to turn over some pretty massive meats.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts