Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me & DayDreamer have been conversing by pm lately & he brought up a good point that I wanted to share. So I went ahead & copied/posted this info below:

DayDreamer quote:
"Well I can see the diagrams in MicroCat, I just don't have any way to share them. What differences are you looking for between the two HL systems? Price or parts differences? An entire HID headlight including housing, ballast and leveling actuator is gonna set you back about $930 MSRP, and that's per side.

If you are curious about swapping, Hyundai makes that just about impossible because it's not all plug and play. Hyundai builds a different front end wiring harness depending on how the car is equipped, meaning that a car not equipped with HIDs will not have the supportive wiring for the HID system. There is also some type of leveling device toward the rear of the car that shows to be with the HID headlamp system. With HID, without, V6, 4 cyl, manual, automatic... they are all different harnesses for the front end."end quote

I know wiring haress' will usually set you back another $700-$900 on avg. We're up to about $3 grand for just the parts needed to swap over to factory Xenon HIDs & none of this includes installation. Now, even with my discount & me doing the work myself, I can't forsee it happening. There's too much performance stuff I can get for that kind of money. So, no Xenons for me. But, what I want the rest of you to do is think hard about whether or not you want a Track model vs R-Spec. Because, if you're intent on things like sunroof, HIDs, spoiler, steering wheel controls, bluetooth, etc, etc, you will be better off spending the little extra & getting the Track edition. I personally am buying this car for performance & I'd rather have the weight savings over any of those other amenities. Although I will miss those HIDs...LoL

· Registered
50 Posts
yeah i totally forgot about the leveling sensor. I got a set of OEM HIDs for my BMW and I wanted the auto leveling feature (because it already had the motor in the headlight) but you also had to get the level sensor that mounted to the axle and some other parts and it was going to be more trouble, and money, than it was worth. Meh, I want the Track model anyway, and I'll get the 2012 R-Spec with HIDs (cause by then they'll know its essential lol)

· Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
your probably better buying off a really really good aftermarket HID system and just adding it to the projection headlights
I've already stated that I'm doing the HIDs the right way or not at all. I'm not taking the chance at blinding on coming traffic with bulbs as strong as HIDs are. Unless there will be an aftermarket pkg offered with the correct ballasts, leveling sensors, wiring, bulbs, & hardware, I'm not doing it. I'll just try to find the best after market bright white bulbs available, that work in the factory projection assemblies, which don't look too blue & ricey, stick them in & call it a day.

· Registered
24 Posts
There are plenty of good aftermarket HID systems out there. I mean I understand you won't get the factory harness but generally the harnesses with the aftermarket kit are standalone battery harnesses that connect directly to the battery and only connect to the light plug for the "switching part of the system" I'm going with the R-Spec and will add the HID's later. I've installed plenty of kits and i'm sure the non-hid headlamps will have a leveling adjustment that will suffice to make the proper adjustments.

As long as the headlamp is still projector I will still do it. if it's not then i'll just do without them.

· Registered
24 Posts
OEM hids > Aftermarket hids
Yea I'm not questiong the quality/design. I don't agree with your overall statement that "oem" is always better. I personally dislike the way the OEM headlamps are usually setup especially in acura's where the ballast is part of the headlamp assembly, and to replace it you have to replace the entire headlamp. I much prefer to have a seperated direct connection to the battery as it generally provides a better source of power to the headlamp system, and if there are problems / issues with that system it makes for easy troubleshooting. I mean to each his own, but I don't think you can say the oem is flatout the better setup it is more dependant on the person and what they want.

Here's a nice comparison of aftermarket vs oem

· Registered
255 Posts
im comparing aftermarket hids to oem hids on the genesis coupe...

the car is a roughly $26,000 car give or take a couple k depending on the route which one takes (v6 or 2.0t)

if your plans are to purchase a base package coupe and plan to add the OEM hid lamps ballast etc etc...your prolly gunna be spending a pretty penny to convert it, where in the end you'll probably be spending more money, time and labor and than just getting the car with the hids....
900+ lamps
400+ harness
levelers? i dont know if the lamps are auto adjusting either but if it is it will be expensive...
and who knows if there will be more parts needed
then you have to take the time to do the labor...is it really worth it?
to me it isnt IMO

· Registered
24 Posts
Right, I understand what you're comparing. I'm saying with a simple aftermarket HID kit and a battery harness you can convert a non-HID genesis to HID. I'm going to guess that the Non-HID lamps are still projectors and are probably not too different from the HID version. I'm making that assumption.

I haven't seen any pics of what were confirmed "Non-HID" headlights. So I can't say either way. I'm planning to purchase the R-Spec and if it has projectors I will use an aftermarket kit that will cost me about 150-200 dollars total. Like I said before I'm sure the non-hid headlights will have an adjustment that can level the headlight just fine. This is all depending if the headlight is still a projector. That will be the deal breaker for me if it's not a projector then I won't bother.

Your comment was generalized "oem HID > Aftermarket" which I continue to disagree with.

· Registered
24 Posts
Projection headlamps is listed on the R-spec release news thread, but I'm not sure what headlamps a base model car will include. Also does anyone know what bulb type is used on the genesis? I'm guessing U.S. version will be different than the cars released in S.korea etc

· Registered
255 Posts
Projection headlamps is listed on the R-spec release news thread, but I'm not sure what headlamps a base model car will include. Also does anyone know what bulb type is used on the genesis? I'm guessing U.S. version will be different than the cars released in S.korea etc
wait, projection lamps arent on all the other cars that dont have hids such as the base?

· Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I agree that OEM will probably be better than aftermarket regarding quality of lighting, but that's not my concern. I'm worried that the aftermarket setups will not have the leveling equipment as part of the pkg & alot of people will not take the time or spend the money to get the leveling equipment needed to do this mod correctly. It is very dangerous to run HIDs w/o the leveling system. You can literally blind on coming traffic, because true HIDs are that bright.

Now if everyone does the mod porperly installing the levelers to the back of the housings & the sensors needed to tell when the car dips on decel & rises on accel or going over bumps, I'm cool with it. I might even do the mod myself if there is a high quality after market kit that comes with everything needed to do it properly & use the factory housings. But I'm not going to spend the money it would take to do the factory conversion, I can tell you that much.

I agree with G4turbo, the factory non-HIDs are supposedly projector beams & if I can use the factory housings & install the aftermarket HID bulbs & leveling equipment for a reasonable price, I will. But, if I can't get the leveling equipment needed to do the conversion correctly, I won't.

Looks like the headlamps are projector beams according to this:

· Registered
24 Posts
Mine won't be a daily driver, it will spend 90% of its time in the garage, on a track or maybe out on the weekends. I understand the concerns with leveling but I don't believe it's really that big of a deal if you have them adjusted "within reason" Now for a daily driver or something you will spend a lot of time in your best off going with the Track model with factory HID's.

· Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine won't be a daily driver, it will spend 90% of its time in the garage, on a track or maybe out on the weekends. I understand the concerns with leveling but I don't believe it's really that big of a deal if you have them adjusted "within reason" Now for a daily driver or something you will spend a lot of time in your best off going with the Track model with factory HID's.
Mine will get similar use as yours..I'm still opting for the legal, safer way, & installing leveling adjusters or sticking w/the projection beam Halogens.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.