Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wnet to get a tire rotation and one of the fronts was bald on the inside. All four tires are down to 4/32. They say it will be $750 to $1,000 to replace the tires. Has this happened to anyone else, and did the dealership help in any way?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Do you have 18's or 19's? I replaced my 19" Bridgestones at 15K but I drive pretty aggressive. I don't know how the 18's wear.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wnet to get a tire rotation and one of the fronts was bald on the inside. All four tires are down to 4/32. They say it will be $750 to $1,000 to replace the tires. Has this happened to anyone else, and did the dealership help in any way?
I don't think that you'll find any help at a dealer other than they'll sell you new tires. 20K miles on a GenCoupe is probably as good as you'll get, you apparently have an alignment issue which at 20K isn't going to be covered (12mth/12000miles). Some friendly advice if I may, alot of things factor in to tire wear, replace them, have an alignment check ($80 typically) and move on. The tire life on the car regardless of 18 or 19", Track or 2.0L is going to be pretty low. I know it sounds shocking and by your post you're upset about it I know, but a purchase like this car has added costs, most noticeably in tires. the nature of the car and the tires Hyundai puts on it are not high mileage nor intended to be. It's a niche market that people normally accept tire wear being a casualty. If you can replace the four tires for under a grand count yourself lucky because you're probably in the 1300 neighborhood but many factors there that take the price in both directions.

It might help to tell us how you drive the car, 2.0L, 3.8 Track, etc..,

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
^^^ well stated & like Austin said, these high performance tires will usually not last much more that 20k miles. I've got about 10k on my rears & will be lucky to get another 2k out of them & my front will see about 15k before needing to be replaced. On a side note; if your tires are wearing more on the inside than on the outside, an alignment may be in order, esp if you are preparing to put a set of tires on there. Protect your tire investment like Austin said & do a 4 wheel alignment at the same time as the tire replacement. We charge $69.95 for a 4 wheel alignment at my dealership, so I'm sure you get it done for around that price elsewhere.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I have learned the hard way that you should always get any new car aligned just to be safe. There are just too many things that can happen in shipping etc. that can throw a car off and then you pay way more when new tires are needed quickly.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have learned the hard way that you should always get any new car aligned just to be safe. There are just too many things that can happen in shipping etc. that can throw a car off and then you pay way more when new tires are needed quickly.
This is sound advice. Maybe get 'em to throw it in the deal at purchase. I did not do this but I kinda know what to look for. I've been around the shop a couple times ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
^^^ well stated & like Austin said, these high performance tires will usually not last much more that 20k miles. I've got about 10k on my rears & will be lucky to get another 2k out of them & my front will see about 15k before needing to be replaced. On a side note; if your tires are wearing more on the inside than on the outside, an alignment may be in order, esp if you are preparing to put a set of tires on there. Protect your tire investment like Austin said & do a 4 wheel alignment at the same time as the tire replacement. We charge $69.95 for a 4 wheel alignment at my dealership, so I'm sure you get it done for around that price elsewhere.
:rofl: You said performance tire. These are just over priced tires, too hard for my liking. Anyways I have 22K miles on my car, I drive very aggressively. My tires show significant wear but they are not near being bald. They have a lot of stress cracks and get crappy traction. I plan on replacing them with some softer compound / cheaper tires probably gonna bump it up to 265s / 275s to get more tread on the ground.

·
Registered
668 Posts
:rofl: You said performance tire. These are just over priced tires, too hard for my liking. Anyways I have 22K miles on my car, I drive very aggressively. My tires show significant wear but they are not near being bald. They have a lot of stress cracks and get crappy traction. I plan on replacing them with some softer compound / cheaper tires probably gonna bump it up to 265s / 275s to get more tread on the ground.
I have to agree, our potenzas are extremely overpriced for the bang they give. They were pretty sticky while they were under 20k miles on them. Mine have 23k on them and are sitting in the garage waiting to be sold, but they still have plenty of tread on them. They are showing wear, but i'm not sure why some people are having to replace them so soon.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have the Track rims and tired and I'm about to hit 25K miles on mine and when I had my oil changed a few weeks ago they sheet they gave me back said I was still in the green on the front and just about 50% left on the back.

So I agree with the alignment part.

I have to keep my tires for the life of the car pretty much. I bought a warranty on them and pretty much gives me free replacements for life so I can't touch mine.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I have the Track rims and tired and I'm about to hit 25K miles on mine and when I had my oil changed a few weeks ago they sheet they gave me back said I was still in the green on the front and just about 50% left on the back.

So I agree with the alignment part.

I have to keep my tires for the life of the car pretty much. I bought a warranty on them and pretty much gives me free replacements for life so I can't touch mine.
Man, that's some pretty good mileage out of those OEM tires. You must be pretty easy on her. :rofl:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow guys these tires seem ok to me coming from the Evo9 which the yokohama tires wear out in 10K and I mean lucky if you get to 11K. More info I needed before my purchase thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know it sounds shocking and by your post you're upset about it I know, but a purchase like this car has added costs, most noticeably in tires. the nature of the car and the tires Hyundai puts on it are not high mileage nor intended to be. It's a niche market that people normally accept tire wear being a casualty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 235/50/18 tires were also bald at 20K. If tire performance is not extremely important to you, perhaps you could consider a couple of Michelin tires. Michelin has a Energy Saver tire that gets pretty good reviews and supposedly saves on gas. 55K to 65K mileage anticipated. Probably will get less, but 40 to 50K sounds pretty good to me. Michelin also has a tire called Hydro Edge. Excels in wet weather, I'm not sure how it performs on dry pavement. The mileage is listed at 90K, which sounds great, but I live in Arizona, so probably not the tire for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It also helps to check the treadwear rating on the tires you want to buy first. Try looking for 320AA and above for mileage, but anything under that will not last too long but will have better grip since they are softer tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2010 3.8 track tires have 29k on them and starting to notice some traction loss but I drive somewhat aggressive and my wife and I are usually in it so extra weight helps traction a little but may hurt wear.

I have looked at tires and noticed that Michelin just came out with a new tire (pilot super sport). They seem to have a 15K warranty for cars with staggered tires and 30k for those that don't. Haven't been able to see one yet and very few reviews since they are so new. Pricey compared to some others but am surprised at warranty.

Noticed that Bridgestone has at least 3 different tires in my tire size. Seems like overkill and may cause higher costs to produce and maintain an inventory. Michelin's new tire replaced their sport ps2.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts