Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 Genesis 4.6: bought used two years ago. Works fine until a couple of weeks ago.
With smart key, open door, try to start car, electrical system shuts down. Can't even turn on a dome light. Thought the battery was old. Charged it up; car starts; purchase new battery. O.K. for a couple of weeks then system shuts down again. Open truck with metal key, just to see if something works, get in car starts. Next day, open door, all the courtesy lights come on brightly, try to start, relay click under hood, everything shuts down. Repeated attempts led to really strange event, electrical system turns on and off rapidly a few time. Have car towed to repair shop, mechanic starts it right up, can't duplicate problem.
My guess is a connection but where. Mechanic checks all connections he can find, battery, connection box under hood. All look good.
Anyone experience this or have a clue I can pass on to my mechanic I would be very
appreciative.

Thanks,
John-

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not familiar with the GenSedan, but I have a GenCoupe. Other cars I have seem weird stuff like this with have had issues with a good looking ground wire connection but it wasn't grounding well enough. Corrosion or paint can get in th4e way of juice flowing through the ground connection. Trace that ground off the battery, see where it connects to and if you can, unbolt it from where it is grounded to and wire brush that area. Get good solid metal-to-metal contact. It doesn't hurt anything at all to just make your own 4GA ground going straight to a bolt on the block either. Keep the original ground wires hooked up and just add on a new bigger ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Electrical Ground Problem

Yes, I think you are correct. I can't think of anything else that would shut down the whole system and then magically come back on as if there were no problem. I visually checked that the connections were tight but didn't remove and clean them. Right now the car is at the Hyundai dealership to get a recall done; after that, I'll attack those connections.

Thanks,
John-

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this exact problem for over a year, same model and year. But each time I dealt with it by reopening the door and slamming the door, it nearly almost always fixes the issue. So I suspect it's a loose connection on the door? Or perhaps a fuse? Most recently, I have had to slam the door several times for it to work. Before I bring it in for an electrical system analysis (several hundred $$), can anyone share an update on this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this exact problem for over a year, same model and year. But each time I dealt with it by reopening the door and slamming the door, it nearly almost always fixes the issue. So I suspect it's a loose connection on the door? Or perhaps a fuse? Most recently, I have had to slam the door several times for it to work. Before I bring it in for an electrical system analysis (several hundred $$), can anyone share an update on this issue?
I'm having the exact issue on my 2015 Genesis Sedan. I could use some advise as well prior to leaving with Hyundai

1 - 5 of 5 Posts