Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference in the T1R vs R1R vs RA1 vs R888?

The reason I ask is I'm going to be using these tires for street & track during mainly dry weather, but will see rain from time to time since some Time Attacks & AutoX events do occur in the rain from my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong).

Here are the definitions of these 4 tires from the Toyo website. But, they all seem like they could apply to my needs & I'm therefore still undecided. What I hope to gain from this post is insight from those already using one or more of these tires that may help me determine which one I should go with. Speak up RMR & MODE racing. Thanks.

Proxes R888 - is ideal for road racing, track days & high performance driving schools. The Proxes R888 is the next generation, street legal competition tire from Toyo Tires.

Proxes RA1 - is a street legal competition tire that features high-tech components to provide an uncommon advantage to the cost-conscious competitor who still demands quick lap times.

Proxes R1R - is extreme performance for serious street driving in sports coupes & sedans.

Proxes T1R - is an ultra-high performance tire designed exclusinvely for high-end sport sedans & coupes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
wow... i could go on for hours about tires and +/-... ultimately... everyone has their own personal preferences on what they like in a tire...

but if your talking strictly toyo... in a nutshell... i would not recommend for R888s or RA1s for any daily driven street car that attends an occasional track day... the treadwear just doesn't make it economical...

R1Rs are your best bet... i actually run them on my evo daily driver... they have great lateral grip and are a very forgiving tire.. they take almost no time to warm up and if you daily drive the car, you don't have to worry about shaving them... if you plan your track day correctly...

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses gentlemen. Jason, thanks for the heads up on R888s & RA1s, as I am not rich, therefore prefer not to buy tires continuously. But, I don't mind paying for good tires every once in a while. My current Michilins on my DD only have a 20k wear life & I probably expect even less out of my GenCoupe's tires.

So I'll shoot for R1Rs unless they don't come in the size I want, then would have to settle for T1Rs, thanks ArchCoupe.

esptuning, I assume when you are talking about another class, you are speaking of race events. I still have alot to learn about that.

I really want to be able to push my car to its limits & tires are the most important mod IMO to do that. I have a feeling I will need to attend several driving schools & get plenty of track time in prior to entering any event due to the fact my car's mods will place in with some pretty strong competition or so I would imagine. Suspension is another area I will have alot of performance invested in prior to ever hitting the track.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I'll shoot for R1Rs unless they don't come in the size I want, then would have to settle for T1Rs, thanks ArchCoupe.
NP

I really want to be able to push my car to its limits & tires are the most important mod IMO to do that. I have a feeling I will need to attend several driving schools & get plenty of track time in prior to entering any event due to the fact my car's mods will place in with some pretty strong competition or so I would imagine. Suspension is another area I will have alot of performance invested in prior to ever hitting the track.
Tufast not necessarily, you may have a car that fits in a class where you will be competitive if you plan it right.

It depends on what forum/event you go race in. I will speak a little to Timeattack as I have been doing a little homework in this department and its easy to determine where you fall (they provide the rulebook online at http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/Uploads/RedlineTimeAttackRules.pdf)

Regarding you time on course before you take your GC on the track... I would suggest some outdoor karting as well... preferable a rotex... if you can find a place where you can show up and rent for a hour/day :bigthumb:

Guys feel free to add or edit

Timeattack
Tires: width and wear rate are your determining factors for class... width can very from power train layout... FF can have any size front tire in street class (need to double check) etc..

Engine modification - Street class allows one major modification - adding a turbo system to the v6 model for instance. However you should read up on what they consider for major modifications as I think you can still do a internal build with adding a turbo.

Changing from a FF to a FR will be considered as your one modification (referring to my RSX). Swapping engines is another modification unless your car platform had that engine in a different make... WRX with STI engine.

The street class will allow coilovers, strut bars, sway bars, aeros (limits on number for canards and length of under tray (flat bottom)).

Street class does not allow professional drivers from what i remember people saying.

So even with you list of mod's you may be still able to race at the street level where you will have very competitive car.

BUT PLEASE don't take my word as its been a little since I read the rules from the Redline Timeattack webpage, so I might be getting street class and modified class mixed up.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
295 Posts
didn't redline ok full undertrays due to the lotus cars being allowed in street class? and somehow rhys millen was allowed to be in street class too, though he didn't do so well compared to other vehicles

·
Registered
120 Posts
You are most likely right about the under tray, I was just going off of what I read in the past on the rule book. I would speculate that they allow it only for the lotus because it comes equipped from the manufacture with a true flat bottom or under tray's that extend pass the axles

In the video clip, on the home page, they say they didn't have Millen in the car and had some others driving it. But I think with what they were trying to do with showing the improvements from adding their part, Redline probably just decided that they Millen's camp was just out there to run the car to collect data and not get points.... the Millen camp might have gotten some flexibility to allow Millen to drive :dunno:

Either way the car did good in its class (in round 2 of the TA) considering what they were doing .... then again I really was not in their camp watching there times as I was chillin with my friends and enjoying the day. But from what I can remember of the time sheets (not posted on redlines page currently) I will still say they did well, but were not at the top :dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a mil.....that tire sounds perfect for my use & desire. If I could get the R1R in the size I want it would be a hard decision, but since I have to settle for the T1R, the NT05 is looking pretty good.

Well I looked Nittos up & the rear does come in the 285/35ZR18 I want for my rear 10", but it doesn't list the 255/40ZR18 for the front I need for my 9" wheel. :aargh: so I have to choose between 245/40 & 265/40 for the front....I wonder if the 245 will be wide enough, because I can't stand for my wheel to stick out beyond my tire. Although, I suppose I could drop down to an 8.5 front rim. :bs:

On the other hand, the Toyo R1R does have a 255/40ZR18, but only goes up to 265/35ZR18 for rear (not wide enough for my 10" rim) :rolleye:

I can stick with the Toyo T1R that has both sizes I prefer, but I'm not as happy with that tire as either of the other 2. :dunno:

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^^Nice...Thanks again Slider...

Here's another one I already had:

Motegi Racing Performance Wheels

I'm going to copy this link & post it with the other one.

Only problem with either of these calculators is the factory wheels sit in too far IMO & the width of the rear of the vehicle is greater than that of the front.

But, between these 2 calculators & having my brothers car on hand tomorrow, I should be able to figure out the perfect offset with a little bit calculating.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Thanks a mil.....that tire sounds perfect for my use & desire. If I could get the R1R in the size I want it would be a hard decision, but since I have to settle for the T1R, the NT05 is looking pretty good.

Well I looked Nittos up & the rear does come in the 285/35ZR18 I want for my rear 10", but it doesn't list the 255/40ZR18 for the front I need for my 9" wheel. :aargh: so I have to choose between 245/40 & 265/40 for the front....I wonder if the 245 will be wide enough, because I can't stand for my wheel to stick out beyond my tire. Although, I suppose I could drop down to an 8.5 front rim. :bs:

On the other hand, the Toyo R1R does have a 255/40ZR18, but only goes up to 265/35ZR18 for rear (not wide enough for my 10" rim) :rolleye:

I can stick with the Toyo T1R that has both sizes I prefer, but I'm not as happy with that tire as either of the other 2. :dunno:

Any recommendations?
Bro, you are worse than me. I thought I was the only one who went crazy over analyzing this kind of crap!!! That NT05 looks like the shizang though. It took me a good 3 months to decide on front tire size for my Buick. Finally went 245's, could have gone bigger but diameter wise they matched my 295's out back the best.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bro, you are worse than me. I thought I was the only one who went crazy over analyzing this kind of crap!!! That NT05 looks like the shizang though. It took me a good 3 months to decide on front tire size for my Buick. Finally went 245's, could have gone bigger but diameter wise they matched my 295's out back the best.
Yeah, I'm anal as hell. Being so analytical is the reason I majored in science in college.

I thank you again for pointing out those Nittos. I thought they only made full race or DD tires with nothnig in between. This new NT05 has really spiked my interest.

When i saw the big block angled tread pattern on the R1Rs, I thought wow, this looks like a race tire, but is street legal. Then ESPtuning told me these did great for his DD & didn't wear out over night, I was sold. I already had an excellent recommendation from Rhys.

I'm not going to settle for anything less than 275s on the rear & prefer 285s. This created a dilema since the in 18s the R1Rs only go up to 265, so I thought I'd settle for the T1Rs MODE is running on their 3.8L. But, thats more of a show car & those tires don't have the big block pattern that makes me think that they will handle as well as the the R1Rs.

These NT05s look perfect & the artice you linked was awesome. I'm going to give them a try & see how they do I think. Maybe later Toyo will make some wider 18s in the R1R & I'll try them on the next set, etc.

I decided to go with 18x8.5 front wheels & the NT05 245/40ZR18 up front. I used the new calculator that Slider provided (which is much better & more detailed than the one I had) to get an idea of offset. If the distance between the tires at the front & rear of the vehicle were the same width, I would need to go with +22 offset on the rear & +3 offset on the front for them both set flush at the fenders. However, this is not the case & the rear track is wider than that of the front. I'm sticking with my original gueass of around +16 on thr front for now, but will take measurement of my bro's car tomorrow to get accurate #s. This is assuming that +22 on the rear puts the F14 flush at the fender. When I say flush, I mean very little gap between tire & fender, because the factory wheels sit in too far IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Since you don't need tires right now, just keep a lookout for any other reviews and you may find some forums on a search where guys may comment as to the wear/durability. They are only 200 rated so I would think 15 to 20k out of them, depending on the number of track days you throw in!!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Since you don't need tires right now, just keep a lookout for any other reviews and you may find some forums on a search where guys may comment as to the wear/durability. They are only 200 rated so I would think 15 to 20k out of them, depending on the number of track days you throw in!!
Well, I won't have car for a while (still owe about a year on the bimmer), but I'm hoping to have wheels & tires upon delivery. I'm going to sell my brother my factory tires before putting any miles on them. As a matter of fact, if he doesn't damage his wheels in the mean time, I recon he will be about due for a new set of tires when I get my car & we will just swap out wheels & tires. I can then take his wheels down, dismount & discard the tires, then box them up in my aftermarket wheel boxes for storage.

I read several reviews on these new NT05 tires & must say I'm really impressed. So much so, I'm going to switch from my Michilins om my BMW when I get my wheels powder coated in the near future...

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Well, I won't have car for a while (still owe about a year on the bimmer), but I'm hoping to have wheels & tires upon delivery. I'm going to sell my brother my factory tires before putting any miles on them. As a matter of fact, if he doesn't damage his wheels in the mean time, I recon he will be about due for a new set of tires when I get my car & we will just swap out wheels & tires. I can then take his wheels down, dismount & discard the tires, then box them up in my aftermarket wheel boxes for storage.

I read several reviews on these new NT05 tires & must say I'm really impressed. So much so, I'm going to switch from my Michilins om my BMW when I get my wheels powder coated in the near future...
+100, let us know when you pull the trigger. First hand reviews are the best!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts