Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok about the transmission, I have a question or two. I know the motor is basically a evo ten motor….right? Well my question is going to be I know that Mitsubishis are notorious for the transmissions just taking a dump on people :WTF2:…..Are the transmissions in the coupes going to be the same as the ones in the evos??

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mitsus are notorious for dumping trannies because people try to push 4-500 lb. ft of torque through them and then try to powershift it. I'd like you to show me any tranny that could handle abuse like that other than that of a viper, corvette, or some other high end sports car. I don't think the tranny will be too much of an issue.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Ok about the transmission, I have a question or two. I know the motor is basically a evo ten motor….right? Well my question is going to be I know that Mitsubishis are notorious for the transmissions just taking a dump on people :WTF2:…..Are the transmissions in the coupes going to be the same as the ones in the evos??
1st off, not trying to bust your bubble, but the only thing this engine has in common with the EVO or SRT4 is the block, everything else is pretty much different. But, that's not saying Hyundai crapped out either, IMO these will be very good engines to mod. They look like they have pretty good sized internals.
The V/6 even has oil squirters on the underside of the pistons. But, one notable difference in the Hyundai 2.0t is that it will not be a 4 bolt main engine, like the EVO & SRT4. On a good not there is no MAF to deal with when it comes to tuning, but 2 map sensors instead, which should make things a bit easier.

Now, for your transmission question, I agree w/Kevin, if you throw down 400-600whp, what do you expect? Anytime you modify a part of a car, you also have to modify everything else that part effects. That's why this hobby is so damn expensive. We've already been discussing this in the past & feel that the tranny might be the weak link on these cars since the #'s given so far don't show for a lot of allowable torque for any of these transmissions. The strongest of the bunch, according to the #'s, is the German ZF A/T. Now, I like most hope that the clutch is included as part of the tranny in that allowable torque #, but I doubt it. We hope this because a clutch upgrade would be done anyways as part of our mods, at least by any of us hoping to make decent track cars out of these.

But, in the end the true answer to both of your questions is only time will tell. Once some of our vendors get a hold of these cars & push them to their limits, we won't know what they are capable of. So wi just have to wait & see. But, it doesn't hurt to contemplate & discuss while we are waiting on the release.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks bro....no not bustin my bubble at all!!
i am here to learn more about the car and just bs with yall. so If i say somethin and its wrong dont hesitate to corect me, i would like to learn as much as i can about the car before they come out and before i get one!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I agree with the trans and the high torque comments.

The Evo trans is about bulletproof. So are the factory diffs. Heck the whole drivetrain is VERY stout but when making big power ANYTHING can break at anytime. We use the factory diffs in all the cars we build with just a little transmission work such as shimming, tolerances, springs, replace some stuff, etc... From the 8sec drag car to all of the 9second street cars we've pumped out. David's (the owner of Buschur Racing) street car ('04 Evo RS) the "BAD BISH" runs 9.0 at over 150mph while running all stock drivetrain and just the Bushwacker transmission service that we offer.

We will not know the limits of the stock trans until we meet them. I look forward to meeting them. :)

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I agree with the trans and the high torque comments.

The Evo trans is about bulletproof. So are the factory diffs. Heck the whole drivetrain is VERY stout but when making big power ANYTHING can break at anytime. We use the factory diffs in all the cars we build with just a little transmission work such as shimming, tolerances, springs, replace some stuff, etc... From the 8sec drag car to all of the 9second street cars we've pumped out. David's (the owner of Buschur Racing) street car ('04 Evo RS) the "BAD BISH" runs 9.0 at over 150mph while running all stock drivetrain and just the Bushwacker transmission service that we offer.

We will not know the limits of the stock trans until we meet them. I look forward to meeting them. :)

Im right there with ya. :shifting::shifting:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Gear ratios (V6)
1st - 3.848
2nd - 2.317
3rd - 1.623
4th - 1.233
5th - 1.000
6th - 0.794
Reverse - 3.985
Final drive - 3.538

Gear ratios (turbo 4)
1st - 4.229
2nd - 2.467
3rd - 1.671
4th - 1.233
5th - 1.000
6th - 0.794
Reverse - 3.985
Final drive - 3.909

Don't know redlines.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Gear ratios (V6)
1st - 3.848
2nd - 2.317
3rd - 1.623
4th - 1.233
5th - 1.000
6th - 0.794
Reverse - 3.985
Final drive - 3.538

Gear ratios (turbo 4)
1st - 4.229
2nd - 2.467
3rd - 1.671
4th - 1.233
5th - 1.000
6th - 0.794
Reverse - 3.985
Final drive - 3.909

Don't know redlines.

Well I can see we will be doing a lot of 3.53 swaps into the Turbo4 cars

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.