Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
though it would be cool, the V6 already makes the car nose heavy. i bet the only ppl that would do it would be specialty shops just trying to show their capabilities and fabrication work, or someone building the car for drag racing only ... if its even possible to fit the V8 in there, but there was a 5.0 Focus a few years ago so its possible i guess.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
though it would be cool, the V6 already makes the car nose heavy. i bet the only ppl that would do it would be specialty shops just trying to show their capabilities and fabrication work, or someone building the car for drag racing only ... if its even possible to fit the V8 in there, but there was a 5.0 Focus a few years ago so its possible i guess.
oh. is the genesis more nose heavy then a 350z? i just thought of this because i was watching forsbergs v8 350
+1...on the heavy nose. I'm just hoping that my CF pieces on the front & the addition of a spoiler on the rear will help even thiings out...

But, more importantly than the weight distribution is the cost of such a swap. Sure it'll slide in there, although the motor mts may have to be moved & a bulged hood installed. Then, you still have to swap wiring harnesses, computers, & probably a host of sensors/switches. After that you'll need a stronger drive train. That means different transmission, clutch, drive shaft, rear axles, etc, etc.

Trust me, if you don't have a wrecked V/8 Genesis sedan sitting next to the coupe you're wanting to build. You better be filthy rich & have plenty of time on your hands. And if you do have a V/8 sedan, you will still have to pick up a host of parts along the way to make it work.

Now a much smarter approach would to FI the V/6 & create just as much Hp, if not more...If you really want the notoriety of the V/8 in the coupe, just wait. Hyundai is on the rise & eventually they will see the need of a flagship sports car to compete w/the M3, the IS350F, etc, etc. Then you just trade the GenCoupe you are getting now on that monster. My guess it won't be cheap though. If BMW wants $88 grand for the M3, Hyundai will want at least $50 grand for their budget racer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
^^^^ I agree, I mean look at the Rhys Millen Coupe. It's a V6 with a big ass turbo, and it's making 550 hp. That's crazy power for a car that size. I think that a V6 with a good turbo kit is still going to have the possibility to make more power with less added weight than putting the V8 in and upsetting the car's balance that much more. Besides, the V8 is only making 375 hp on premium fuel in the sedan. I understand that they've put a supercharger on the Tau, but can you imagine trying to work on that thing if it was crammed into the front of the Coupe?

Basically I think the V6 even with a turbo = more possible power with less added weight than trying to shoehorn the V8 into the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can make good hp with a 2.0L turbo or stroked 2.2L with a nice size turbo. Making @ 450-500 rwhp 2.0L is perfectly feasible for a street car. We do alot of 3sgte toyota so this 2.0L Hyundai has us very excited. Couple of weeks ago we talked about a V8 swap turboed into a coupe. That could make some sick hp. Always had love for a 4cyl, but a turbo V8 is sweet too.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
You can make good hp with a 2.0L turbo or stroked 2.2L with a nice size turbo. Making @ 450-500 rwhp 2.0L is perfectly feasible for a street car. We do alot of 3sgte toyota so this 2.0L Hyundai has us very excited. Couple of weeks ago we talked about a V8 swap turboed into a coupe. That could make some sick hp. Always had love for a 4cyl, but a turbo V8 is sweet too.
Emily I challenge you to do the V8 swap and subsequently build it into a 1000hp drag car.. Please accomplish this by the beginning of summer. thanks.. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anyone have any engine weight specs for the V6 and 4 cyl Genesis? I would be curious to see how it matched up to an all aluminum LSx engine? The LSx platform has been swapped into all sorts of vehicles for some time now, including very light weight ones like the FD Rx-7. And even in that, it didn't throw off weight distribution at all, it actually shaved 30lbs off the front end compared to a 100% stock 13bTT w/all accessories. Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Does anyone have any engine weight specs for the V6 and 4 cyl Genesis? I would be curious to see how it matched up to an all aluminum LSx engine? The LSx platform has been swapped into all sorts of vehicles for some time now, including very light weight ones like the FD Rx-7. And even in that, it didn't throw off weight distribution at all, it actually shaved 30lbs off the front end compared to a 100% stock 13bTT w/all accessories. Just a thought...
I don't know the weight of each, although I remember seeing those #s somewhere at sometime on one of these forums. But, that's like a needle in a hay stack. It'll take a while to find it again. I do know that the 6cyl weight approx 100lbs more than the 4cyl.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i am STOKED about the 2.0 turbo. there is no way in hell i'd add a ton of weight especially when 300rwhp is probably not a stretch for the stock engine.

turbo upgrade + fmic + full exhaust + tune = real power

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
i am STOKED about the 2.0 turbo. there is no way in hell i'd add a ton of weight especially when 300rwhp is probably not a stretch for the stock engine.

turbo upgrade + fmic + full exhaust + tune = real power
Yeah big power potential for the 2.0t and these days I'm not about brute V8 power as much as I used to be. I want something that will get decent fuel mileage but be able to scream to 100mph+ for the occaisional drag and handle great at the autox... an all around performer.. :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Swap in a GEMA 2.4L assembly, engine managment and a BW S256 turbo and Im gonna be happy I think... much less if EVOX cams can be adapted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.