Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread has been locked. Please keep in mind the "test" in this video is not a scientific test and does not accurately show in any way how strong the rods are in normal operating conditions..Thanks

-------------------------------
Watch the video, makes you wonder if they'll upgrade the con rods for the US market. :confused:

ÆÄ¿ö ÆÑÅ丮 R-BOOST.COM :: ³×À̹ö Ä«Æä

I'd like the input of the engine builders on this site to tell me what you think of the test. Seems impractical to test a con rod just by hitting it along an axis it that doesn't normally experience load on, but it's frightening to see it snap off so easily at the same time. :yikes:

Loose tanslation of the text:
----------------------------
This is Genesis Coupe connecting rod hammering test...
But...
The result..
Gencoupe suggested connecting rod..
Of course there's not going to be much problem at SungJung (?)..
Even if you raise the boost a little it has a very weak connecting rod.
You will see this if you see the movie clip..
It is even weaker than beta SungJung (?) connecting rod..
How can this break only with hitting it twice with a hammer?
GenCoupe should make stronger connecting rod as soon as possible so they will save the poor owners from having broken connecting rods and also damaged blocks..
Estimate power that it can handle: If they try hard 300HP?

Hammering place: Chun-ahn PIT-IN
Who did it: Of course, Chun-ahn PIT-IN President~
----------------------------

Civictd04

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I dunno, that was a pretty decent size hammer too. I'm thinking most conrods wouldn't be able to withstand two direct strikes by that hammer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi~
I am http://www.r-boost.com's administrator.
we have made a conrods one years ago
ÆÄ¿öÆÑÅ丮 R-BOOST.COM of the other video link
-> hyundai 2.0 tiburon engine conrod test..

ÆÄ¿ö ÆÑÅ丮 R-BOOST.COM :: ³×À̹ö Ä«Æä

The first video is a Stock connecting rod
The second video is a POUTER connecting rod
The third video, it is a connecting rod that we have made.

So much of the strength of the first and the third is the difference

Stock connecting rod is not got 300 horsepower...

ps : If use a translation program, the translation is a mess.
SungJung (?) ---> stock conrod.. ^^

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do not ahswiwo load was weak.
We are making a very strong load.(600 horspower over spec')
The test will be.....end of November
you'll see. 500 horsepower gennesis coupe..... -> Desember
Of course, in South Korea.... ^^

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do not ahswiwo load was weak.
We are making a very strong load.(600 horspower over spec')
The test will be.....end of November
you'll see. 500 horsepower gennesis coupe..... -> Desember
Of course, in South Korea.... ^^

^ I hope you do make some internals for this engine. Hyundai probably did this on purpose.

1. One to know that the tuners are going to beat the living hell out of these engines. (
2. Cost down..
3. For the tuners to build up the car. The block will be strong. But weak internals for sure...

Yes the internals are pretty weak. Remember this is Hyundai's first attempt to make a forced induction (internals) by themselves. The only thing that is in common between the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance(Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Chrysler) engines are the blocks by themselves. Remember that the intake valve timing, pistons, heads, are made by each individual manufacturer. The timing, and variable valve system and possibly the turbo is from Borg warner. But the Korea and Us engines slightly different. Also I heard that this is basically an evo x(turbo)/srt 4 block, with N/A Internals from the base lancer and caliber.

·
Registered
18 Posts
EVO X(turbo) knows me.
EVO X and gencoupe use same block.
Only, factual information for connecting rod of EVO X does not exist.

Problem that uses parts of EVO X but is expected ...
1)EVO X and gencoupe is same connecting rod
2)Hard to get connecting rod and piston of EVO X
3)Or, parts of EVO X are very expensive or ..

In the case of EVO X, It is 290 horsepowers, can you use parts such as gencoupe?
If la does answer about the question ....

EVO X differs fuel control of GDI(Gasoline Direct Injection) method and turbine, cam with gencoupe.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
EVO X(turbo) knows me.
EVO X and gencoupe use same block.
Only, factual information for connecting rod of EVO X does not exist.

Problem that uses parts of EVO X but is expected ...
1)EVO X and gencoupe is same connecting rod
2)Hard to get connecting rod and piston of EVO X
3)Or, parts of EVO X are very expensive or ..

In the case of EVO X, It is 290 horsepowers, can you use parts such as gencoupe?
If la does answer about the question ....

EVO X differs fuel control of GDI(Gasoline Direct Injection) method and turbine, cam with gencoupe.

Are you saying the EVO X connecting rod is the same as the Gencoupe? Sorry language barrier is a pain

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want that you understand.
Language is pain... me too... T.T

It is that talk possibility.
I see gencoupe's connecting rod
However,
I did not see EVO X Connecting rod

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm pretty sure their different...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I posted this questions on gencoupe. Does anyone know if the rods in this motor are forged steel like the evox ones?

Also take a look at the evox rods. The gencoupe ones in that video look bigger (beefier) than the evox ones.

This video doesnt convince me one bit to the supposed ~300 hp limit of the motor. Hitting the rod at a stress point it never sees with a sledgehammer is pointless. Sorry. I bet if you clamp the piston end and hit it the same way it will snap from the piston end the same way it did from the crank end.

Ive been playing (owned) with turbo Nissan for a few years now with smaller rods than that. Even KA24 rods which werent meant to see boost have held over 400 whp.

Im confident it would alteast hold up to 400 on a decent sized turbo. I for one will be testing the limit out as soon as I get mine :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
A comparison I guess...

What I do know is that the connecting rods are forged to some degree(genesis coupe 2.0t). But I think nowhere near that the ones that the evo x and srt4 put out. Yes the sludge hammer was a different approach of testing it's strength, but time will tell, unfortunately. Also the engine from Korean and the U.S engine might be different. At least this is what I am hearing. Of course dodge is all about torque, so theirs is internals connecting rods are going to be a bit beefier(2.4L). So the only engine that is similar is the 2.0 turbo from the evo x(2.0). This is what I found so far, and what I think, what will be in the genesis coupe. Feel free to bash or agree with the information, I put together....

The comparison stats:

Evo X: 9:0:1
Engine: Aluminum Block
Cast-aluminum cylinder head
Integrated Ladder Frame
Forged Pistons(Yes)
Forged Connecting Rods(Steel)
Forged steel crankshaft

SRT4: Caliber 8:6:1
Cast-aluminum ladder frame
Forged steel crankshaft
Forged Pistons(Yes)
Forged Connecting Rods(Steel)

Genesis Coupe Turbo: 2.0T 9.3:1

Ladder Frame???
Crankshaft(I think forged steel)
Forged Pistons(???)
Connecting Rods(Yes to some degree)???

What might be a carry over from the evo x and srt4 engine?

Forged steel crankshaft
Forged Pistons

Different

Head Design
Ladder Frame
Connecting Rods

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I posted this questions on gencoupe. Does anyone know if the rods in this motor are forged steel like the evox ones?

Also take a look at the evox rods. The gencoupe ones in that video look bigger (beefier) than the evox ones.

This video doesnt convince me one bit to the supposed ~300 hp limit of the motor. Hitting the rod at a stress point it never sees with a sledgehammer is pointless. Sorry. I bet if you clamp the piston end and hit it the same way it will snap from the piston end the same way it did from the crank end.

Ive been playing (owned) with turbo Nissan for a few years now with smaller rods than that. Even KA24 rods which werent meant to see boost have held over 400 whp.

Im confident it would alteast hold up to 400 on a decent sized turbo. I for one will be testing the limit out as soon as I get mine :)
Hey Kevin welcome to the forums. There is still not enough information on if the rods ore forged or not. Although almost every forced induction engine from the factory that I can think of does use forged internals (I'm sure there are examples to the contrary) and I don't see why Hyundai would do anything differently. Who knows though, from talking with Derek at Hyundai he "hinted" that the engine will take more boost/power but obviously I couldn't get any specific numbers from him. We are going to have to wait for the aftermarket to do their thing and max out the stock engine, it is what they do and then come up with solutions to make it better. It is one of the reasons we here at Genesisforums have been contacting vendors now so they can get ready to jump on this car when it comes out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hopefully they are similar to the evox internals. Hyundai and Mitsu have been sharing parts for decades now. Heck, even my moms XG300 uses a variation of the 6G72. And the 4G63 bolts right into the first gen Elantras.

This isnt Hyundais first turbo motor. Im sure they learned their lesson after the Scoupe.

I myself will be testing the cars limits when I get it. I have a few friends with evox's and they were the few ones around here in the 11's right when they came out so ill be working with them on modding my car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Comparison. Theta rod pic taken from the piston thread started by the guy who did the rod smash test.

Mitsu Piston and Rod

Theta Piston and Rod

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Comparison. Theta rod pic taken from the piston thread started by the guy who did the rod smash test.

Mitsu Piston and Rod

Theta Piston and Rod
Great find Kevin! Man it looks like the Theta rod is definitely beefier. Pistons look pretty good too, thick ring lands to take some abuse... I dunno I'm starting to think we should have 300+HP and have it reliably to boot. Opinions?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you.

You can see the pistons are amazingly similar but you can see the diffrence at the top. 9.0:1 vs 9.3:1

The rods also appear to be forged.

IMO, id say 400 reliable whp isnt a problem at all.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.