Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

What Genesis engine will you be getting?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
We're gonna find out soon enough... one thing I know is it's neat to get in on the ground floor of a community and watch and learn from the beginning.. I'm going to enjoy the ride :)
+10000000000

It's sooo cool being around & knowing of this car from it's conception. Then seeing the unveiling of the concept & following the info trail. Then joining forums B4 most had any clue about the vehicle & were just learning of it's bigger brother the sedan. Actually becoming fully involved in one of the forums & searching out info day & night. Now I'll be around as the very 1st of people on this continent take possession & start making the cars their own in little or major ways.:jump:

:bow:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've been contemplating what motors would be awesome in this car ever since I can remember. I think that a SR20, true 4B11T, or Ecotec turbo would do nicely. Even a 4G63 would be awesome and easy to source parts for. I personally intend to hang on to the car for a long time and I'm sure a new motor will be necessary, I just hope not right now!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Excellent poll, thanks for posting.
I voted for the 2.0t still because I'm in it to win it. If I hadn't already made up my mind to go all the way, I would definately switch back to the 3.8L. But, since my plans already included internals, not that big of a deal. Just disappointed my "stage1" will not include the Buschur upgrade on the stock turbo. Just too much of a gamble, so will have to wait until I do the internals. Therefore my "stage1" will only be looking like about 280whp (I/E, FMIC, tune, etc, etc). That should still be pretty good after I add all the CF parts dropping the weight some more. Then I figure it will be putting me in the mid 13s in the 1/4.

I wouldn't blame those looking for more than 300whp to go with the 3.8L since the internals will hold up much better, unless you are willing to tear this thing apart & throw down some serious cash. I'm beginning to see why Rhys recommended I should go with the V/6...LoL

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm still going with the 2.0t.
there's a few reasons for this, not the least of which is the fact that the base v6 costs $1000 more than a 2.0t GT in Canada.

I also feel that since i've a) never owed a rwd car before, b) never owned a car with 200+ hp, and c) i've never owned a performance oriented car before, I will be happy with the power out of the box for now. Long term, i think 320, 330whp will be plenty for me. The torque will be much higher than a stock 3.8 and thats all i'm really looking for.
It after a few years, I have the desire, and the means to do so, I might try to go for a full rebuild and shoot for 400+whp. But right now, i don't have the means, nor the need to do something that drastic.
If i really wanted a 400hp car, i'd have gone with Camaro as a base. I'm much happier going with a Genesis.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2.0T is my choice of weapon. Though V6 is not maybe even coming to Europe but that doesn't matter because I still want turbo. Here in Finland we have stupid laws so we can't put turbos so easily to every car that does not have it already, massive paper work and lots of money needed if doing so. In our neighbour land Sweden you can drive legally pretty much with everything...I saw even drag racing car with racing slick going middle of city there. :cry:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm still going with the 2.0t.
there's a few reasons for this, not the least of which is the fact that the base v6 costs $1000 more than a 2.0t GT in Canada.

I also feel that since i've a) never owed a rwd car before, b) never owned a car with 200+ hp, and c) i've never owned a performance oriented car before, I will be happy with the power out of the box for now. Long term, i think 320, 330whp will be plenty for me. The torque will be much higher than a stock 3.8 and thats all i'm really looking for.
It after a few years, I have the desire, and the means to do so, I might try to go for a full rebuild and shoot for 400+whp. But right now, i don't have the means, nor the need to do something that drastic.
If i really wanted a 400hp car, i'd have gone with Camaro as a base. I'm much happier going with a Genesis.
2.0 for the same reasons

·
Registered
668 Posts
After averaging well below 20MPG combined in the 2.0T, I would get the V6 if I had to chose again.
Wow, seriously? You must drive hard or live in a traffic heavy city. I average roughly 26-28 MPG with my 2.0T... and that's gunning it every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
2.0T was my choice mostly based on MPG, but most seem to only be mid 20's with that. Now with the power situation, the 3.8 with 87 octane seems to be the way to go. I will wait and drop the extra money on the ZF now also as it seems to be able to take the abuse (used by many other companies). So it will be a while before I pull the trigger.

PLUS, if I need more power, the supercharger should be out and that will get me to an even higher level with a more stout motor than the 2.0 unless you drop multi thousands into the 2.0 to still come up with a lower output. The 2.0 is not seeming to be the "tuner car" that was hyped by Hyundai.

At this point, unless Hyundai steps it up and adds forged internals (they should have anyway) then to me the 2.0 has been more than a little disappointing. No sense to buy a cheaper car, only to have to spend big to get it back up to par with more costly cars. I can buy a BUILT engine for any car, why choose a brand new platform. Just buy the better car to begin with IMO.

Sorry if this is a little negative sounding, the GC is still a great sporty option, they seem to have over promised and underdelivered, cheapest 300 hp car etc.. Suspension, engine, clutch, etc. Just too much to have to upgrade IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Sabba, you should consider two polls. One with the first three questions, and then a second poll with the fourth question with a "yes" or "no" response. This may give more detailed info.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
After reading this again, I initially thought you were talking about engine swaps and not which factory motor one could have chosen from the dealership. If I had to do this over again, I would still choose the 2.0t hands down. I really think that it will be a great motor once it gets some time and R&D under its belt. I've owned very few non-forced induction cars and can't say that I enjoyed the ones I've had/have. I've been toying with the idea of an STS remote turbo on the frontier for quite some time now but then along came the gen coupe so that took a back burner.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Voted 3.8 once....voted 3.8 again. For lack of better terminology...I am fucking thrilled with my 3.8 Track with the ZF! While I miss my manual tranny, this thing is great. I don't intend to do much, if any, track time so the A/T works great for me. The ZF is a proven transmission--the way Tufast drives his BMW was all I needed to know about the trans to make my decision. If it will hold up to the abuse he puts that poor 540 thru at 100K miles, then it should take everything I give it. The added supension, brakes and LSD that are included in the track package are a great addition for aggresive dirvers like myself. It's all I need for now, but when the time comes, throw a CAI/Exhaust with a tune and your looking at around 300hp to the wheels. If that's not enuf, then take a look at RMR's car...480whp/570tq with stock internals. Don't have to build the motor, don't have to replace the clutch, just get in and go.
:shifting:

I was a little hesistant when it came time to sign the papers but I actually like this car more every day. Knock on wood, but so far so good. I am a walking billboard for the Genesis Coupe. :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Voted 3.8 once....voted 3.8 again. For lack of better terminology...I am fucking thrilled with my 3.8 Track with the ZF! While I miss my manual tranny, this thing is great. I don't intend to do much, if any, track time so the A/T works great for me. The ZF is a proven transmission--the way Tufast drives his BMW was all I needed to know about the trans to make my decision. If it will hold up to the abuse he puts that poor 540 thru at 100K miles, then it should take everything I give it. The added supension, brakes and LSD that are included in the track package are a great addition for aggresive dirvers like myself. It's all I need for now, but when the time comes, throw a CAI/Exhaust with a tune and your looking at around 300hp to the wheels. If that's not enuf, then take a look at RMR's car...480whp/570tq with stock internals. Don't have to build the motor, don't have to replace the clutch, just get in and go.
:shifting:

I was a little hesistant when it came time to sign the papers but I actually like this car more every day. Knock on wood, but so far so good. I am a walking billboard for the Genesis Coupe. :wave:
+1, all great points

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ive decided against getting the car al together now. Ill be $35k deep easily in a Hyundai which im not prepared to do. To many good vehicles once ou get up there and would rather start with a good base.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Meh....im at an age now that I appreciate looks of a vehicle rather then speed. 300 ish is a nice goal for myself. There is always going to be a faster car no matter what you drive. While it may not be as fast as some cars in the price range, the styling and looks are a definite appealing feature. The genesis just looks sexy....oh and 2.0T GT

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Ive decided against getting the car al together now. Ill be $35k deep easily in a Hyundai which im not prepared to do. To many good vehicles once ou get up there and would rather start with a good base.
I think many will just wait for a year or two and get one used. Hence my 240 comments.

I am very discouraged with the findings in this 2.0 engine. Injectors, internals, etc.

Better off just going to the 3.8 IMO and wait for the supercharger if you feel it is necessary for more power to compete with Mustangs and G's, etc. Minimal work and WAY less invested. Even better to get a 3.8 Track ZF in a year or two for about 18k and then bolt on the supercharger. Then for 22k you have a bargain basement screamer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say the 2.0T is the motor i will be getting.. For one its got and will have alot of aftermarket support. Some one just said that Hyundai was wrong about stating that it is not tuner friendly... Are you serious? How is it not tuner friendly? I has so many companies jumping on board for aftermarket support, and i know many more will be in on the band wagon soon.. Plus beyond redline just achieved 415 on the 2.0 which is pretty much untuned... That is nearly what the RMR 3.8 is making... So i mean for the extra money you would save from getting a 3.8 you can put in the 2.0 as in the way of upgrade ie. internals if that is such your limiting factor...

21 - 40 of 56 Posts