Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

What Genesis engine will you be getting?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
3.8 all the way, I am supper happy with it. I'm not really big on replacing internals so after hearing it got owned at 300 somethin whp, i was glad i made the choice, plus I love the sound of a V6!!. everyobe has their tastes i guess

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I would say the 2.0T is the motor i will be getting.. For one its got and will have alot of aftermarket support. Some one just said that Hyundai was wrong about stating that it is not tuner friendly... Are you serious? How is it not tuner friendly? I has so many companies jumping on board for aftermarket support, and i know many more will be in on the band wagon soon.. Plus beyond redline just achieved 415 on the 2.0 which is pretty much untuned... That is nearly what the RMR 3.8 is making... So i mean for the extra money you would save from getting a 3.8 you can put in the 2.0 as in the way of upgrade ie. internals if that is such your limiting factor...

To me tuner friendly means add a CBE, intake and tune and get a good bump. IE a tune on the RA and the X produce big gains. Exhaust on an X gives big gains. The exhaust yields no gain on the GC so only change for sound preference (most will find this annoying to make a change with no performance gains), the intake yields no gain. Tunes are coming, but again, the stock components are not showing a lot of room for hidden power....there is some but not big gains. The turbo and injectors are a huge limiting factor.

Any car is tuner friendly if you mean taking the stock engine, pulling it out of the car, do a complete internal rebuild, add a new turbo and supporting items to achieve 415 but at a cost of my guess....to be about 8-10 grand, I don't think you are going to be saving anything over the 3.8! We will see if a clutch will be needed also.

Finally, with a MBC you can see some nice gains on the 2.0. You will still be around the 200WHP range. Nothing wrong with dumping piles of money into a car. But for me, it just makes more financial sense to buy a better car. With all that needs to be done to the 2.0 to achieve respectable power levels, buy the 3.8 or something else. If you just want a mild tweak to a pretty weak stock performer, then the 2.0 is the way to go as it is certainly the cheapest entry point for a good looking starting platform.

Just keeping things real here.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I completely understand dboz, it's a tough decision to buy a car knowing that it will take some coin to get great numbers out of a motor, especially since we all expected more out of Hyundai after all the hype. I still think that this motor can make a good, reliable 300whp easy and possibly more with a good tune and supporting mods. Considering that the baseline is 176whp give or take, this isn't a bad number coming from Honda-based stuff where pistons and rods are like toothpicks and marshmellows stroking in porcelain sleeves (no kidding). Even if the pistons and rods require swapping to get above 350whp, that's still more than double the stock power levels and from an engineering standpoint this makes sense. Make it twice as strong so it lasts twice as long. Honda doesn't even do that with their factory motors, I had to post, hone, block guard, swap pistons/rods in my D15B to go any more than +65whp above stock (160 crank hp)! Granted doing this with a d-series motor is uber cheap since the motors are a dime a dozen but still, the world motor should end up being just as common. I think that with some more time not only will we know more about the stock limits, but we will have options in the aftermarket and hopefully people down the road will get better goods directly from Hyundai (HMA are you listening?). I personally like the challenge and look forward to getting down and dirty with the theta. For me, the difficulty is just part of the fun!

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I agree, don't get me wrong, the GC will be a good car, it will require time to develop. I am just saying that to really be a sports car, you need the power. You are right though, mid 200 WHP is still going to be fun and if you can get to 300 WHP with an affordable turbo upgrade it will be great. But for the same money you can have the 3.8 with a supercharger and call it a day.

Like you say, you enjoy the challenge of the build. Nothing wrong with that either. The accomplishment of building it your way is very satisfying.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Since this car is a daily driver I bought the 3.8 once I found out a little more about the 2.0T. I know myself and if I got the 2.0T I would want to make more power than the stock internal could handle and I don't want to get into the engine with a dd. If I could have just upgraded the intercooler, turbo, injectors and header and made big power I probably would have gone with the 2.0. The 3.8 has plenty of grunt and zero reliability issues unlike most heavily boosted T4's.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Tuner friendly - install bolt ons & add tune to get excellent gains. This 2.0t engine has to be rebuilt to get excellent gains - not Tuner friendly IMO. Although, I'm glad to see that there are alot of tuners on board which makes me very excited.

Since I've decided to go all the way with this vehicle, going into the engine will not be that big of a deal for me. But, most will not want to take on this feat & will therefore have to settle for 300whp.

By the way, when I started this venture I had only planned to purchase a 3.8 Track ZF A/T & leave it stock retaining the warranty (basically what my brother is doing). Now look what it has mushroomed into...LoL

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
24 Posts
very true thanks for making me more aware of what you guys meant by tuner friendly.. Honestly i am still undecided at this point which engine would best suit me.. I just like the sound of a 415HP 2.0 Turbo but then again thats with major mods. Maybe 3.8 would be a better option... hell idk iam just afraid as to when i get it i dont want to have regrets as far as " Dang i wish i would have got the 3.8... who knows

·
Registered
151 Posts
+300 whp in a 3k lb car with a good suspension and brakes is a very well balanced vehicle. the tourqe of the 2.0 t is formidable and perfect for my needs. trust me people with much faster cars have been afraid to loose to me because I build my cars as a whole not just rwhp #. If your just dragracing thats one thing but for road racing autox T/A and especialy drift. balance is key. One thing to consider is how many cars actualy put 300+ hp to the ground, and due to more recent crash safety standards 3000 lbs is the norm nowadays.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm still going with the 2.0t.
there's a few reasons for this, not the least of which is the fact that the base v6 costs $1000 more than a 2.0t GT in Canada.

I also feel that since i've a) never owed a rwd car before, b) never owned a car with 200+ hp, and c) i've never owned a performance oriented car before, I will be happy with the power out of the box for now. Long term, i think 320, 330whp will be plenty for me. The torque will be much higher than a stock 3.8 and thats all i'm really looking for.
It after a few years, I have the desire, and the means to do so, I might try to go for a full rebuild and shoot for 400+whp. But right now, i don't have the means, nor the need to do something that drastic.
If i really wanted a 400hp car, i'd have gone with Camaro as a base. I'm much happier going with a Genesis.
I'm of the same mind as you.

Even the 2.0T is the most powerful car I've had over the long term, which means, I'm fine as is. For the moment at least, this is my ONLY car, which means it's got to be a winter car too. SO, the basics (I/E, tune, etc) and 250-280hp is plenty for me right now. When I've got the room, and the money, to have a toy car, that may change, but by then, I'll be able to afford to have the car off the road for a week or two at a time to DO the internals, and I don't have to run it in the winter, either. Right now, I don't have the money, time, or space.

And really, 280ish HP is not bad. :D We're just kinda spoiled with all the mega-horsepower cars that've been coming out in the last seven years or so. It's not long ago that a 'Vette didn't have the HP we have stock from the 2.0T. :)

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
+300 whp in a 3k lb car with a good suspension and brakes is a very well balanced vehicle. the tourqe of the 2.0 t is formidable and perfect for my needs. trust me people with much faster cars have been afraid to loose to me because I build my cars as a whole not just rwhp #. If your just dragracing thats one thing but for road racing autox T/A and especialy drift. balance is key. One thing to consider is how many cars actualy put 300+ hp to the ground, and due to more recent crash safety standards 3000 lbs is the norm nowadays.
+1....Balance will be the key....I want just a little more of what you are talking about.
You're also right about 3k lbs not being that bad. A R-spec with some weight trimming should get me under that mark & be very agile with the mods I have in mind.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5 Posts
2.0T was my choice mostly based on MPG, but most seem to only be mid 20's with that. Now with the power situation, the 3.8 with 87 octane seems to be the way to go. I will wait and drop the extra money on the ZF now also as it seems to be able to take the abuse (used by many other companies). So it will be a while before I pull the trigger.

PLUS, if I need more power, the supercharger should be out and that will get me to an even higher level with a more stout motor than the 2.0 unless you drop multi thousands into the 2.0 to still come up with a lower output. The 2.0 is not seeming to be the "tuner car" that was hyped by Hyundai.

At this point, unless Hyundai steps it up and adds forged internals (they should have anyway) then to me the 2.0 has been more than a little disappointing. No sense to buy a cheaper car, only to have to spend big to get it back up to par with more costly cars. I can buy a BUILT engine for any car, why choose a brand new platform. Just buy the better car to begin with IMO.

Sorry if this is a little negative sounding, the GC is still a great sporty option, they seem to have over promised and underdelivered, cheapest 300 hp car etc.. Suspension, engine, clutch, etc. Just too much to have to upgrade IMO.
i absolutely agree with you.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm of the same mind as you.

Even the 2.0T is the most powerful car I've had over the long term, which means, I'm fine as is. For the moment at least, this is my ONLY car, which means it's got to be a winter car too. SO, the basics (I/E, tune, etc) and 250-280hp is plenty for me right now. When I've got the room, and the money, to have a toy car, that may change, but by then, I'll be able to afford to have the car off the road for a week or two at a time to DO the internals, and I don't have to run it in the winter, either. Right now, I don't have the money, time, or space.

And really, 280ish HP is not bad. :D We're just kinda spoiled with all the mega-horsepower cars that've been coming out in the last seven years or so. It's not long ago that a 'Vette didn't have the HP we have stock from the 2.0T. :)
Well due to lack of availability for a 2.0t GT, I ended up going with the V6 after all.
It's a very powerful engine and I don't see needed much more than that for a few years now.
Less money on mods, means more money to pay this thing off faster. :p

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Owned a 2.0T track edition since may. My original plan was to go for a 4 cylinder engine just cuz of the gas mileage and cuz i have always loved the I4 engine than the V-6. more room to work with.

·
Registered
325 Posts
can we do the poll again i wasnt a member back then lol i would go with the 500hp v8 in the RM460 God i hope they make that car then my life will be complete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering how to Sell Your House fast in Calgary? - Call Mr. Home Buyer who will buy your house for cash in Calgary AB. Trusted cash home buyers who buy houses in any condition. We buy Houses Fast all over the city. NO REPAIRS - NO COMMISSION - NO CLEAN UP - NO WAITING Fastest way to Sell your House.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts