Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the tuner crowd embrace the Genesis Coupe? If any indications are to be taken from the heritage of the "tuner" engine, and the trilogy of SEMA members that will supe up the cars, the answer is yes.

Why do I say this? Well I think it has a lot to do with the RWD platform. There hasn't been a lot of cool relatively inexpensive RWD platform cars out there with an engine that people want to or have experience modifying.

What engine am I talking about? The turbocharged world engine 2.0l to be used in the Genesis Coupe shares heritage with the Mitsubishi Evolution and Dodge (Neon/Caliber) SRT-4 turbo engines. Both these cars have a huge following of grassroots tinkerers that love to modify this engine. I think this will help people to embrace the Genesis Coupe as a tuners car. A lot of what has worked for these cars can probably be applied to the Hyundai version of the engine. Also we at GenesisForums.Org have noticed that the turbo manifold and turbo housing are separate pieces which should make upgrades easier. With the big engine bay around the 2.0l it will make for easy tinkering as well.

Will it have enough support by the aftermarket industry? The three big names that are producing custom Genesis Coupes at SEMA should show that this car is where tuning companies are turning their attention to in the near future. What companies are interested in producing parts this car? We know that Street Customs is modifying a v6 coupe for SEMA, whereas HKS and Rhys Millen are turning their attention to the 4cylinder engine. Are there any other companies though that are showing interest in the car? I happen to know that NGM (Next Generation Motorsports) intends to make parts for the v6 Genesis Coupe. Also CIP Motorsports has setup a website genracer.com that implies they are going to tune for the car. (There also is an image of a Genesis Coupe on their main website). Buschur Racing also has said they are planning to make a slew of aftermarket parts for the upcoming coupe. What about Hyundai Mobis, Hyunda Performance in Canada, Synapse Engineering, Garrett Turbos or other aftermarket companies? TIme will tell if others too jump on the band wagon to support this car.

All I can say is these are exciting times for the tuners out there.:evilgrin:

·
Registered
166 Posts
NGM is one of the main reasons I'm still thinking about the V6. T.C. Has done some amazing things with the Tib. I can't wait to see what he puls out for the Gen.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the v6 definitely has a leg up on the turbo. No replacement for displacement. You could always turbo or super charge the v6 and produce more power than the 4 cylinder could. I wonder if Garrett or any of the other tuner shops plan on making a turbo or even twin turbo setup for the v6. That would be sweet, and would maybe push me to get the v6 over the 4 cylinder.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Getting the best of both worlds

I thought you all might like to know, I no longer have to decide which GenCoupe to go with (4cyl vs V/6). My brother, 3yrs younger than me has decided to purchase one as well. His 6cyl will come with the ZF auto tranny, my turbo 4 will have the 6spd. Both will have the track pkg (Bremobs & stiffer suspension). So we can swap when were bored if that ever occurs or maybe we can just have some fun racing each other. He has already saved about 3 grand so far for down payment & intends to put at least 7k down, me on the other hand have saved about 12 grand. We have talked extensively about this & he is not as interested in mods as me & wants to keep the warranty in tact as much as possible. Therefore he is going for 6cyl w/aftermarket cold air intake, exaust, computer remapping, & thats about it. So I'm going with the 4 banger & The HKS version will give everyone a very good idea of what the finished product will be like. I can't wait to see the stats on the HKS coupe & am curious what it would cost to do the engine improvements. I'm not rich, so the body kit, wheels, suspension, brakes, etc will have to wait if they come at all. 2 external musts are carbon fiber functional hood & carbon fiber rocker panels w/functional rear brake air intake ducts.:shifting:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow that really does sound like the best of both worlds.

If only someone would make carbon fiber doors for the car, that would save a lot of weight there I bet. :evilgrin:

Also a carbon fiber trunk. I could imagine applying weight saving carbon fiber on the car could get the weight closer to 3200 lbs. A little better for the 4 cylinder powerplant I would think. My SRT-4 weighs more like 2900 lbs and has a higher output engine than the GenCoupe is supposed to come with (in the 4 cylinder) and the car just flies. I imagine it would take all the carbon fiber I could get ahold of and then almost 300 hp to equal the performance of my current car, but it'd have the advantage of RWD. I'm itchin to get this car too, but according to my wife I need to drive my current car into the ground first. Maybe I'll have to do that literally to get the car. :rofl: But hopefully after she checks the car out it will be easier to convince her. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts

If only someone would make carbon fiber doors for the car, that would save a lot of weight there I bet. :evilgrin:

Also a carbon fiber trunk. I could imagine applying weight saving carbon fiber on the car could get the weight closer to 3200 lbs. A little better for the 4 cylinder powerplant I would think. My SRT-4 weighs more like 2900 lbs and has a higher output engine than the GenCoupe is supposed to come with (in the 4 cylinder) and the car just flies. I imagine it would take all the carbon fiber I could get ahold of and then almost 300 hp to equal the performance of my current car, but it'd have the advantage of RWD. I'm itchin to get this car too, but according to my wife I need to drive my current car into the ground first. Maybe I'll have to do that literally to get the car. :rofl: But hopefully after she checks the car out it will be easier to convince her. :)

Just take a trip to south america and back, that should do it. And if it makes it all the way back without any troubles.... use a sledgehammer

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah that's about what it'd take. Go off road a bit, drive through flooded roads, hit every pot hole I can find... :)

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

civictd04, I was thinking along the same lines originally, pile as much carbon fiber as possible on (weight savings = more power), but thought about it more & wondered when replacing doors & rear deck lid how much would I lose regarding sound dampning. Also, after market components do not normally have the same fit & finish of factory parts. I do not want to lose the every day drivability of the vehicle & would still like to be able to hear the stereo, so carbon fiber hood, rockers, rear diffuser, & rear spoiler are a must. Front & rear bumper covers maybe, due to the fact I'm a hard driver & normally do not slow down enough for dips etc in the road & cause the bottom of my bumper covers to scrub. Carbon fiber does not hold up as well when dragging againt the pavement. Front fenders are a possibility, but doors & decklid I'll have to think about for a while.
I've heard rumors of a light weight race/track version, but nothing confirmed. Supposedly like the Nismo 350Z & the lightweight version of the S2000 Honda offered recently. I'm in no rush to get my GenCoupe, other than desire. I have a pretty fast & fun V/8 (bimmer) to drive now that will suffice, although my bro will be getting his Genoupe much sooner, his 87' S10 p/u is about to give up. I really hope Hyundai takes the lightweight track version seriously since that elimanates the cost, time, & energy needed to change all those parts to carbon fiber if they have already been installed by Hyundai, plus will be under warranty:cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh those are really good points. I just thought of another one: safety. How safe would the car be for side impacts if I change out the doors for carbon fiber ones... hmmm. :Hmmm: Sabbasaun says that carbon fiber is pretty strong, but is it stronger than high tensile strength steel? I dunno...

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Carbon Fiber stronger than you ever imagined

Oh those are really good points. I just thought of another one: safety. How safe would the car be for side impacts if I change out the doors for carbon fiber ones... hmmm. :Hmmm: Sabbasaun says that carbon fiber is pretty strong, but is it stronger than high tensile strength steel? I dunno...
A few years back I spent a fair amount of time researching carbon fiber technology & found that there is a host of varying degrees of carbon fiber quality/strength, which is why you should never purchase a carbon fiber component base solely on price, unless its from a reputable company. Unlike fiberglass, the process of carbon fiber development allows for some very, very strong parts if done correctly. It also differs from fiberglass, in that it is difficult & expensive to manufacture. If done improperly, the resulting parts are crap. There is a special issue of HCI (Hot Compact & Imports), July 2004, that I happen to have a copy of that is almost completely dedicated to carbon fiber that discusses secrets of the weave, how to skin your ride, & an in-depth buyers guide. This issue even discusses carbon fiber drive shafts, sway bars, etc that are stronger than their metallic counter parts & weigh a hell of a lot less. Not to mention, parts like drive shafts that transfer power which weigh a lot less will result in less overall Hp loss.
REREAD MAGAZINE ARTICLES IN THAT PARTICULAR ISSUE (been a couple of years since original reading & had to dig up magazine).
As for body parts, carbon fiber does not hold up to impact as well as metallic parts & for that matter even some fiberglass. Not E-glass, but S-2 glass & R-glass/Kevlar do have resistance to abrasion & impact. Unless it has a core & skin produced of carbon fiber & Kevlar, it may not hold up very well. It would be more rigid & brittle, esp if hit real hard like in an accident, where as metallic parts seem to be more mallable, able to give & bend. Carbon fiber wet lay-up process (used for body panels etc normally) is not as strong as the pre-preg method (used for moderately loaded structures), but cost a lot less. Carbon fiber weighs about 1/4 of steel, but is about as stiff, which makes it 4 times as stiff on a weight to weight basis. Carbon fiber also has a better fatigue life than steel, titanium, or aluminum & the resins used to bond the fibers offer extremely good vibration damping.
Bottom line, carbon fiber exhibits the the most desirable performance characteristics of any lightweight materials explored to date. It can be designed to be stiff under heavy aerodynamic forces & still be light. It can absorb road shocks satisfactorily, yet be durable & not subject to fatigue failures, while remaining strong enough to stand up to unexpected impacts & torsion forces. It can lend itself to attractive finishing & resist corrosion or attack by the elements, & be aerodynamically efficient.
I've personally never installed any fiber glass or carbon fiber components on any of my vehicles, but have seen body kits made of both, as well as hoods, etc. Remember I work in a service dept. & most of these vehicles (Tiburons, etc) that have these components installed get damaged within a short period of time. But I'd like to think this is probably due to the fact most of these kids either don't want to spend the money on the high end parts or just don't know any better. Think about it, if I hadn't learned what I have, I would probably purchase the $300 hood over the $900 one, since they look basically the same, but are not where it counts, the developement process. Sorry so long winded.:zzz:
To follow up I intend to find this article, if possible on the internet & create a link. This is one of the more important set of articles I've read regarding auto performance & I think all of you would find it rewarding, esp if your'e interested in installing carbon fiber parts on your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts

Yer SRT-4 may only weigh 2900lbs but it also has really bad crash ratings. I'll take a heavier car that will get a 5 star rating any day. You might want to crash it into a tree, just make sure yer not in it. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Carbon fiber details

Sorry guys, HCI archives on line do not go back that far & I was unable to retrieve all the info regarding carbon fiber. The above info will give you a general back ground on carbon fiber, but if anyone has any specific questions regarding any details feel free to ask & I'll be glad to scan all the articles in that issue & answer anything that I can. Keep in mind that there are a multitude of carbon fiber coated looking parts that are not carbon fiber throughout. Remember that the composite manufacturing business is unique in that the person doing the work physically builds not only the component, but also the parent material. That's the true magic of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yer SRT-4 may only weigh 2900lbs but it also has really bad crash ratings. I'll take a heavier car that will get a 5 star rating any day. You might want to crash it into a tree, just make sure yer not in it. :)
Hmm, you think taking out the crash bar helps make it safer? :evilgrin: Actually my car has an aftermarket crash bar in it, but I doubt it will help in an accident, I installed it more to keep the frame rigid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts